high beam doesnt work on right side but low does.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high beam doesnt work on right side but low does.

was wondering if there was a possible fix ? i cant figure it out , fuses are good , bulb is good (new because i thought that would work), blew my relay on the passenger side fucking around with jumping wires from the drivers side ( used two nails and wire to connect the highbeam prong from the divers bulb to the passenger bulb while both were plugged in as a test before splicing). so i dont know what to do im gunna buy a new relay tomorrow so i at least have lows but i got a safety inspection on tuesday and not having my passenger high will fail me. should i try splicing the highbeam from the driver to passenger ?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

the grounds all look okay and the relay was clicking correctly before i blew it , so the relay was working , the connector that plugs to the bulb works as it should aswell
Old 04-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

i want to try splicing the power wire from the drivers side highbeam to the passenger side highbeam power wire, but want to know if anyone here has ever done this and if it worked ?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

lol dont know if anyone cares but i figure since the connector for the bulb is good and has power and so are the grounds , im going to assume its the wire for my headlight switch itself , it may have broke from years of the tilt steering being moved or something else , im going to check under the dash tomorrow when i get time. but im also going to buy a toggle switch and inline fuses to try to make my own independent switch for my high beams , running a wire from under an accessory fuse or something insignificant, to an inline fuse to a toggle switch where it will split and connect to my two high beam power wires. my hopes is that it will give my high beams a separate circuit to run off of. ill keep posted incase it works, might help someone else.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Not recommended to power both high beams with just one relay unless you know for sure that that's how your car was designed but, probably not.

In a single relay application it's usually both low and high beam per one relay per side. So by wiring both high beams together you may have actually wired three lamps together. This is true if your headlamps are of the dual filament type.

You're making it way harder than it is. All you need to do is buy one relay for the right high beam side and use that to power the right high beam and use the left high beam's power wire as the trigger for the relay to power the right high beam... Done.

The lights will work like OE. Just make sure you use a fuse right at the battery for the right high beam power wire going to the new relay (right high beam).
Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Corrected
You're making it way harder than it is. All you need to do is buy one relay for the right high beam side and use that to power the right high beam and use the left high beam's power wire as the trigger for the relay... Done.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

okay so run a wire from the left power wire to a fuse to a relay then to the headlamp ?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

also, before i do this , i want to make sure im correct about which one is the highbeam power , it is infact the white and red thick wire correct ? in my experience light colors mixed with red are hot and thats the thickest one so im assuming its for the highs
Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruh
okay so run a wire from the left power wire to a fuse to a relay then to the headlamp ?
Ahh, let's try this again. Your headlamps, how many bulbs does your car have for both sides, driver/passenger side... High and low beams total? Is it 4 bulbs (single filament) or two bulbs (duel filaments)?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Drifting

also, before i do this , i want to make sure im correct about which one is the highbeam power , it is infact the white and red thick wire correct ? in my experience light colors mixed with red are hot and thats the thickest one so im assuming its for the highs
Color is not always an accurate indicator of positive or negative.

To find the positive in a high beam headlamp, it easiest to ID the negative then the other wire is the positive.

Just use an Automotive Test Light to locate the negative/ground.

In a 4 bulb headlamp system the connector going to a bulb has two wires. One negative the other positive. Find the negative wire then the other wire is the positive.

In a two bulb system there will be three wires. One negative and two positive (hi/Lo beams). In this scenario to ID the hi or low beams simply turn on the low beam. When low beam is on that hot wire is the low beam, the other is hi beam, and the grounded wire is negative.

In your situation if you have a four bulb system then the three wires will be as follows... one wire is negative/grounded, one wire will be hot when the low beam is on, and one wire will be open (not positive or negative). The open wire is your high beam wire.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

its a dual setup , there is three wires for each lamp , two on one side and one on the other side of the plug. i couldnt find any relays at any auto parts places so i guess i gotta wait for the dealership to open anyways. i was thinking on hooking up the highbeams like a light bar. power from battery to relay ,to switch back to relay and then to highbeams.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

like this
Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Drifting

its a dual setup , there is three wires for each lamp , two on one side and one on the other side of the plug. i couldnt find any relays at any auto parts places so i guess i gotta wait for the dealership to open anyways. i was thinking on hooking up the highbeams like a light bar. power from battery to relay ,to switch back to relay and then to highbeams.
Relays are not hard to find they're just as common as fuses.

Instead of running the wires to the switch you should just run it the the good high beam hot wire... It's much easier and safer.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Drifting

like this
That's fine but don't run the switch wire #85 to the switch, instead run that to the good high beam hot wire. Done deal.

#85 is the hot relay trigger wire.

Use a 20+ amp relay.

Don't need a fuse on #85. (The good high beam is already fused).
Old 04-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Drifting

You may find relays at Walmart or Home Depot. Relay should be rated at 12V, 20 amps or higher and one 20 amp fuse.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

alright thanks for the advice ill go ahead and try it out and post results
Old 04-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

i still gotta get the stock relay for my right side anyways as its blown and i dont have any lights right now , but i got spare random relays laying around here so ill try it once i get the stock one put back in
Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Drifting

BTW your problem is one of the two as listed below.

Two relay headlamp system...

A defective relay, fuse, or wire from the under hood fuse box to the high beam bulb.

Non relay headlamp system...

Just a defective wire from light switch to the high beam bulb.

Last edited by 01acls; 04-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

So I present you with this mess lol
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

It's confusing to look at but it's set up the exact way you explained to me to do . It helped somewhat , my low beams now work with the stock relay missing still (I'm not sure how ) and my drivers high still works but left still does not. So all of this wiring and basically I'm at square one before I blew my stock relay
Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Drifting

LOL nice birds nest, Bruh!

The black power wire is too thin, remove that section and shorten all the wires to clean it up. Plastic wire tie the relay body and all wires so they're secure to something.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Drifting

It's confusing to look at but it's set up the exact way you explained to me to do . It helped somewhat , my low beams now work with the stock relay missing still (I'm not sure how ) and my drivers high still works but left still does not. So all of this wiring and basically I'm at square one before I blew my stock relay
You probably have a non relay headlamp system. Did you test the negative wire from the defective high beam to chassis to make sure it's still a good ground?

BTW the "Driver side" is the "left side". Left and right sides when referenced in a vehicle is always from the drivers view/seat.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

but i still for the life of me cant figure out why the right side isnt working on high. i tried connecting the switch wire to all the wires on the left side in an attempt to make it work , went through alot of fuses lol still no luck , the best i got is having my low beams working again and the left highbeam . right is still out. my low beams shouldnt be working at all really as the relay that controls them is broken and in my hand as we speak , im assuming the relay i added suited as a replacement.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

and yeah the grounds, plug and bulb are all fine , like i said im pretty sure the wire that activates the relay under my dash on the passenger side is broken i just cant be bothered to trace that mess to find the break
Old 04-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Thumbs up

but i still for the life of me cant figure out why the right side isnt working on high. i tried connecting the switch wire to all the wires on the left side in an attempt to make it work , went through alot of fuses lol still no luck , the best i got is having my low beams working again and the left highbeam . right is still out. my low beams shouldnt be working at all really as the relay that controls them is broken and in my hand as we speak , im assuming the relay i added suited as a replacement.
For now don't worry about connecting the Switch wire to the high beam. Just connect (touch) the Switch wire #85 straight to the battery to test your wired circuit. The right high beam should light up. If not then you wired wrong. If a fuse blows then you wired wrong and/or there's a short somewhere.
​​​​
Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

okay ill give it a shot tomorrow , at least i can drive in the dark for now and not get harassed , im worried about my safety inspection , but he didnt notice last time (this is my second go at it had to fix some stuff). so hopefully he wont notice this time.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Passed safety (y)