98 TL 2.5 hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this is my son's first car. He was driving last weekend and it just died. Said there were no noises but just quit running. It did have a hesitation while accelerating but would eventually go away. So I thought it was the fuel pump. I replaced the pump and then tried to start it but it wouldn't. If I turned the key on and off several times (thinking this would prime the system) it would turn over once but then go back to only cranking. I began looking under the hood for anything else that could have been wrong. Made sure all vacuum lines were connected. There is one part that has a line connected to the top of it on the driver's side of the fuel rail that has a diaphragm in it. The part is goldish in color with 1 vac line on top of it and 1 I that bottom. If you reach around behind it (standing on driver's side facing the engine bay) you can feel a rod that can be moved up and down when the car is not running. I moved it several times and then the car started right up. We drove it several miles and it still has the hesitation, misfiring, backfiring under the hood, while under hard acceleration. Sorry for not knowing the name of the part in question.
Any ideas? No CEL is on. Recently changed plugs and drove it 300 miles before it sitting for about 5 weeks. This was the first time he drove it since parking it 5 weeks ago.

Also, after the car started I could not move this rod. Removed the top hose and had good suction. I'm still inclined to thinking it has a bad injector or fuel regulator.

So after researching some more tonight, I believe this previously unnamed part is a vics or vics shutter valve actuator.

Or possibly a runner control valve.

Intake manifold runner control valve (imrc)
Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved from the Third Generation TL (2004-2008) > 3G TL Problems & Fixes Forum to the appropriate subsection so you can hopefully get more help.

I saw your Bad Post Report which brought me to this thread.

I cleaned it up and maybe you can get some answers now.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!