97 TL coolant temperature sensor step by step

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 03:57 PM
10th Gear

97 TL coolant temperature sensor step by step

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to change the coolant temp sensor on my 97 3.2 TL? It's overheating when idling and the heat starts blowing cold. Just changed the thermostat yesterday but that didnt fix the problem.
Old 03-26-2008 | 05:12 PM
Khmer Pride

check the manual. download it its in the sticky
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

did you bleed the system correctly? next would be headgasket prolly.
Old 03-28-2008 | 05:37 AM
10th Gear

Thanks krazy and desired . Yea i got it done in the shop. someone in another post said that it was the coolant temp sensor for them that fixed the prob.
Old 04-10-2008 | 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rahgir
Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to change the coolant temp sensor on my 97 3.2 TL? It's overheating when idling and the heat starts blowing cold. Just changed the thermostat yesterday but that didnt fix the problem.

Look at this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177625

Now to remove the ECP is pretty simple.

Remove the engine cover(4nuts)

Find the upper radiator hose

Follow the hose towards the engine

Once on the engine you will see a temp sensor right at the beggining of the housing. This is the gauge sensor. If the needle moves don't bother with it.

Keep following the same path on the engine housing and towards the other side of the engine on the top part you will see another sensor that is connecet to wire. This is the ECP sensor.

I replaced mine with a 3/4 wrench. I had to loosen a black bracket there to make room for my wrench.

Just use your imagination when removing it as it may be a challenge to find a wrench that size that is small enough.

It is doable though

Now to save u some money do the ECP Check on the manual.

In my short experience I will say that what fixed my car wasnt the sensor. After I purchased and installed the new sensor I found out about the ECP check, performed it and it was good.

This is why you should check out my other thread.

I finally got my car working right.

Let me know if you need any more help as I completed this just yesterday..
Old 04-10-2008 | 11:47 AM
Cruisin'

I will say more.

I can go on a limb here and say thgat the sensor will not help you, just because what the sensor does is tell the fans when to kick in.

If you have cold air in you heater at idle I am positively sure you have an air pocket in your system.

Place your car on a 3deg or more incline( jackstands will work well.

Fill up the system and leave the reservoir empty.

Remove the upper hose from the firewall( the hose that returns theflow of heater core)

Start the car and place the heater on high and highets fan setting. Ensure the it says AC OFF.

Rev up the car to 2K RPM and keep it there uthil the process is complete.

Keep adding water until you see a steady stream of water come out of the tube on the firewall. Once you get the steady stream you can replace the hose and clamp it good.( maintain 2K RPM)

Keep filling with water and loosen the bleed plug located just before the gauge sensor (on the housing passed the upper radiaor hose.) 12MM wrench is needed for this.

Once you see no bubbles come out of the bleed plug your good. Close it and pour some more water into the radiator.

Have the person inside the car ck\heck for hot air(it should be really hot)

Cap the system and go for a ride. Keep the heater on and make a traffic stop or traffic light. You should have no loss of heat.

All of these steps is what fixed my car yesterday.

GL and I hope this helped you.