'96 TL 2.5L No Start - weak spark causes?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'96 TL 2.5L No Start - weak spark causes?

Hi all!

My son has a 1996 Acura TL w/ 2.5L engine. The engine won’t start - it cranks over well and seems like it’s about to start, but won’t.

I’ve used an ignition tester, and I’m getting a yellowish color spark. I’d expect whitish blue, correct?. So my thinking is that the spark is too weak to fire the engine.

The problem is I’ve changed EVERY ignition component I can think of. The plug wires are less than a year old. The cap, rotor, and plugs are brand new. I’ve tried two different ignition coils, even though they both seemed to check good with the Ohm meter. I’ve even swapped the ignition control module with a used one from the salvage yard. I don’t think there is anything electrical inside the distributor to fail.

In fact, I think I’ve eliminated everything down stream from the coil, since I’m getting yellow spark straight out of the coil wire.

I’m starting to wonder if the problem could be something besides an ignition issue. But shouldn’t the tester be showing bright white or blue spark on a good ignition?

What else can I try? I’m at my wit’s end here! ANY help is appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Main Relay more than likely, Have you checked for fuel pressure ?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Thanks for the reply. I've got plenty of fuel pressure. Plenty of fuel in general - the plugs are wet with fuel after a start attempt.

Since my original post, i've purchased an HEI spark tester, and it shows a nice blue-white spark jumping a good distance. So I'm backing off on the weak spark theory.

Finally had it towed into a local shop. Awaiting diagnosis now... hopefully LOL
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Have you changed the crank sensor or check to see if it's ok?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 1998 2.5tl for $275, it had a no start problem.
It had been at 2 dealers & a few repair shop lady was tired of dumping cash into it.
It acted like it wanted to run but would only sputter when starting.
After a an hour of cking for problems i started thinking the upper converter may be clogged.
I backed off the bolts of the exhaust manifold about 1/4 inch & tryed to start it. It started up & ran fine.
Hopes this helps you.