2.5TL speed sensor bad. Which Accord model is interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5TL speed sensor bad. Which Accord model is interchangeable?

The Vehicle speed sensor in my car is bad.... Speedo quit, odo quit and the car shifts really hard when switching to and from drive and reverse and switches hard between 1 and 2 gear. I read this posted from TEXASHONDA....

"My 97 2.5TL vehicle speed sensor (VSS) went out about 1-1/2 wks ago. W/O the speed sensor, the transmission control goes into some type of protect mode and 1-2 shifts are very hard. I was able to avoid the hard 1-2 shifts by letting off the gas and allowing the shift w/ idle throttle. Still I was tired of the aggravation.

I checked into OEM and aftermarket parts. Best aftermarket price I found some $70 + shipping. This is not terrible, but what irked me was they were selling what appeared to be an identical VSS on ebay for <$30 including shipping. An OEM VSS part was $120 for the best price I found.

I opened the top of the old VSS to see what lurked inside. Not much. A permanent magnet rotor, small axle guide spring, and a potted electronics module that lies directly along side the magnetic rotor. Grease was dark black and unit appeared to perhaps have overheated slightly.

I decided to order the aftermarket part (94-97 Accord VSS) from ebay (DoctorAutoParts ebay store). Price was $28.85 w/ shipping. It arrived ~ 1wk after purchase."

my question is what engine is that speed sensor from in that accord..... thankyou
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the accord a V6 or I4?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by zippitta
The Vehicle speed sensor in my car is bad.... Speedo quit, odo quit and the car shifts really hard when switching to and from drive and reverse and switches hard between 1 and 2 gear. I read this posted from TEXASHONDA....

"My 97 2.5TL vehicle speed sensor (VSS) went out about 1-1/2 wks ago. W/O the speed sensor, the transmission control goes into some type of protect mode and 1-2 shifts are very hard. I was able to avoid the hard 1-2 shifts by letting off the gas and allowing the shift w/ idle throttle. Still I was tired of the aggravation.

I checked into OEM and aftermarket parts. Best aftermarket price I found some $70 + shipping. This is not terrible, but what irked me was they were selling what appeared to be an identical VSS on ebay for <$30 including shipping. An OEM VSS part was $120 for the best price I found.

I opened the top of the old VSS to see what lurked inside. Not much. A permanent magnet rotor, small axle guide spring, and a potted electronics module that lies directly along side the magnetic rotor. Grease was dark black and unit appeared to perhaps have overheated slightly.

I decided to order the aftermarket part (94-97 Accord VSS) from ebay (DoctorAutoParts ebay store). Price was $28.85 w/ shipping. It arrived ~ 1wk after purchase."

my question is what engine is that speed sensor from in that accord..... thankyou
Speed sensor is from a 4 cylinder. I don't think it really matters which speed sensor is the donor for the electrical parts. I'm pretty sure they're same for all Hondas.

good luck