2.5TL Radiator Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
2.5TL Radiator Fan Replacement

I noticed my radiator fan (pax side fan) was squealing and vibrating on occasion. I've had this symptom w/ Accords in the past and it means the bearing in the motor has too much tolerance and allows the armature to drag/bang against the permanent magnet field housing. It's not a pretty sound.

I took the week off to catch up on car and home maintenance, and replacing the radiator fan was one of my goals. I also had to replace the alternator belt, which requires removal of PS belt and AC belt to access.

Removal of the radiator fan is fairly easy but tedious. Following procedure is for the 2.5TL, but should be similar for the 3.2TL.

Step 1: Drop the lower rock guard underneath the bumper and you can access the lower fan assy retaining bolts. You might think you could loosen and leave the bolts in place and remove the fan assy, but the bolts must come out completely to allow enough access to clear the bottom of the radiator.

Step 2: Drain the radiator coolant into a catch pan and remove the upper radiator hose. This is necessary to allow clearance for the fan assy to be removed. For additional clearance, I also released the tie-down bolts for the electrical lead crossing from the front cross member to the engine, and the PS hose support on the thermostat housing. Each of these provides a little extra clearance to allow the fan assy to come out vertically.

Step 3: Unhooking the electrical connection to the fan is awkward. From underneath you can release and push the connector off of it's mount bracket. Then from topsides you can just reach the connector w/ both hands and break the connector apart,...w/ difficulty.

Step 4: Release the upper fan assy retainining bolts, and release the brackets holding the radiator in position. This allows the radiator to rock forward slightly for more clearance.

Step 5: Remove the fan vertically, very carefully to avoid dragging over sensitive surface of the radiator. You will need to push the electrical jumper and PS hose slightly to clear the fan assy. Ahhhhh,...success

Step 6: Replace the faulty fan motor w/ a replacement motor.

I went to Autozone and they did not have a replacement available for my fan (Mitsuba motor). I had actually planned to use the car w/o the radiator fan while I searched for the best deal on a replacement motor. However, I needed an alternator drive belt and decided to see what AZ had in stock. I had observed that the radiator fan motor looked very much like those on Accords. I asked to look at an Accord motor, but it was wrong length, mount to drive shaft end. The AZ manager suggested looking at an Integra radiator fan motor, and brought one out. It appeared to be a close, but not precise match. The aft extension of the motor from the mount lugs to the aft end was longer, ~ 1", but mounts and shaft extension appeared to match. The manager said I could return if it did not fit the fan shroud. The motor was a Siemans PM3901 motor. Cost was $54, less than 1/2 AZ's cost for a direct replacement.

After returning, home I mounted the fan and it fit the shrould perfectly. Screws and nuts were provided to mount the fan. I had to enlarge the holes in the fan motor mount lugs to allow the screws to penetrate. I used lock washers to secure the nuts.

Next, I experimented to see if the fan assy w/ new motor would enter the envelope on the TL. It went it w/o difficulty.

Finally, I spliced the old connector to the new motor, since new motor only had wire stubs. Be sure to observe polarity or your fan will turn in wrong direction.

Installation was uneventful.

BTW, removal of the radiator fan assy makes removal of PS belt and AC belt relatively easy to enable replacement of the alternator belt. It may be possible to remove the PS and AC belts w/o removing the fan assy, but I'm not sure I would want to try.

Regards
Old 02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you said the fan fit perfectly but you still had to splice wires? man this sucks. i need a new fan though.. its embarrasing to have your car overheat with a date in the car
Old 02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Drifting

I meant the motor mounted perfectly in the fan frame. The replacement motor comes w/o the connector, just bare wire ends and you have to cut free, and splice the connector from the old motor. It only takes about 5 minutes per wire. There are a number of wire splice connectors at the auto parts store, or you can solder the wires together and tape wrap them.

There are motors available w/ connector, but they run well over $100 for motor alone.

good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
'97 2.5TL Premium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried looking over the net, can't seem to find it. Can you post a link to the cheapest that you have found?

How long did it take you to do it?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Drifting

I bought the siemans pm3901 from Autozone. I believe I paid $55 for the fan motor. Try a google search for "pm3901 fan". you'll find plenty.

good luck