1997 acura tl 2.5 for christmas, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 acura tl 2.5 for christmas, please help

i just got this car for christmas, and i been trying to figure out what is wrong with it since then,i thought it was all cool, until my check engine light came on, so i took it to advance and they got the error code of PO135 which is the o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1).

First i need to know if that is downstream or upstream, and where it is located, and the price of the part, i need this thing to pass emissions i want to start driving it.

Second,when i start up the car, it barely turns over, it sounds pretty bad, really weak start and idle, i dont know the problem for this, so if u have any solutions it would help i just need to tell the mechanic what needs to be done.

Third, the Shift Shock is horrible in my car, if i try to accelerate it wont shift at the right time, then when it finally does i get that big shift shock, which i want to get rid of
The last thing is my temp gauge is stuck at Cold,

ok im 18 and a senior in high school i got this car for a christmas present and i have been working to make some money to try and fix this car, i need to know an estimated price on how much this is going to cost to get fixed, i wanna drive sometime during high school to school, im a senior and havent even been in my own parking stall , please help me
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Damn...

You have a lot to do.

1. The sensor isn't too much and IIRC it is at the back of the engine near the firewall.

2. Have the battery tested. Try cleaning out the throttle body plates and bore it may be dirty. This will help the idle. Also give it a tune up. Change the spark plugs, wires, and air filter. Seafoam the engine. This will also help the idle. Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank next time you fill up. It will improve the mpg.

3. Get a tranny screen, o-ring, gasket and Honda ATF1 fluid, drain the old fluid and then change everything out. If that doesn't help, then you may have a tranny issue.

4. You may have a bad thermostat. Is the fluid at the correct level?

5. How many miles do you have on the car? If it is high then most likely you need to have the timing belt and water pump changed and that would effect the idle as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
5th Gear

it just got to 128,000. idk this car has been sitting for a long time i guess before they picked it up as my christmas present, its a really nice car im just trying to get it driveable and in good shape, do you got a estimate on how much this project would cost, cuz im on a type budget, no one really has money these days
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver7
it just got to 128,000. idk this car has been sitting for a long time i guess before they picked it up as my christmas present, its a really nice car im just trying to get it driveable and in good shape, do you got a estimate on how much this project would cost, cuz im on a type budget, no one really has money these days
Well most of what I listed, you can DIY.

Get some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush, remove the intake hose from the throttle body, spray the cleaner in there, scrub it until it is gold. Push the throttle line back to get more of the throttle body and bore. When you turn the car back on, you may have to rev it a little bit so that the car doesn't stall out.

For the seafoam, you need 2 people. Take the PVC line out, get a straw, and a cup. Fill the cup up 3/4 of the way with seafoam, put the straw in it and then put the other end of the straw in the PVC line. Start the car. You are going to have to rev it so that it doesn't stall. Do this until the whole cup is gone. After everything is gone, let the car sit for 15-20 minutes. Turn the car on and drive, drive, drive. Tons of smoke will come out of you exhaust pipe but it is only the carbon coming out of your engine. Drive it until it stops smoking. Best way to get it all out is to get on the highway or main road.

The air filter is very very vey easy to replace. Unclip the air box, pull screen out and put new screen in. Then clip the box back up. Done 5 minute job.

Everything else should cost about $800 at most!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

thanks dude u gave me some hope, i thought after i got it, that it was just going to sit there, and not even been driven, and it was killin me inside, but thanks for your help man i tell u how everything goes
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Here are the DIY link if you want to take any of this on.

Tranny screen job:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-problems-fixes-118/2-5-transmission-filter-screen-pan-drop-diy-684453/

Thermostat:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-problems-fixes-118/how-change-your-themorstat-2-5-tl-578038/

Seafoam:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/98-3-2tl-seafoam-diy-w-pics-614265/

Air Filter:
Is very straight forward.

Throttle Body/Bore Cleaning:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ttle+body+bore

For the battery, you can have it tested for free at Advance or a local chain auto parts place.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM
98 Blue 2.5 TL 200,050 mi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new car!

Oh, as always,

I know I need to do some of the things TLin401 mentioned. My car runs well at 199k (just rolled over this week!)....but I know there is a lot to do...how do I know if I should change the timing belt and water pump? I bought the car right before Christmas and the only service record I have is a cooling system flush on 6/5/09 @ 177k. Who knows when the last oil change was..

So not to hijack the OP's thread subject, but here's my maintenance list that should probably happen:

Tranny screen job
Thermostat
Seafoam
Air Filter
Throttle Body/Bore Cleaning
IACV (Intake Air Control Valve)
Sand/Repaint wheels

What do you guys think would be necessary for my 1998 TL @ 199k miles?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Everything you said and what I mentioned.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I had very hard shifts in my 97 2.5TL when the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) was out. Is speedometer working? If not, then a new VSS should fix the hard 1-2 shift.

Otherwise, the trans filter and fluid change is best hope.

good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congat to you! Have fun with the car.
I hope you have a radio code before remove the battery for test. Or you should have another battery connect in parallel to keep the radio alive. Take care.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

thanks for all your help guys, my speedometer works fine, i think i will do all the things u guys listed, and thanks for the links they are very helpful, just gotta get the money for it, i will get pics and other stuff up to try and help diagnosis the problem im having

anymore input is much appreciated, i gotta get this car running so i can go to college with it,
thanks guys
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Weak start would be from the battery, but the crappy idle should be from the plugs. The problem (obviously) is more apparent when you're cold starting the car.

The coolant temp sensor is actually a good part, and it's more likely that the leads are broken. With a friend's help, warm up your car by driving it around for a few minutes then have the friend watch the temp gauge while you push down on the sensor wires. If it starts working, then you just need to remove the sensor and re-solder the electrical connections.

Post back how you got on.

~Cheers~
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

I have an acura tl 2.5 1996 which last year i swaped original motor to a j-spec motor. I have an idle problem which the obd2 scanner detected.
p0130 o2 sensor circuit bank sensor 1
p0505 idle air control system
p0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected
p0441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow.

I pulled out the idle system and the purge flow from the junk yard and installed it to my engine, its still doing the same thing which the rpm idles up and down on neutral or park for about a 1 minute then its normal. I sprayed throttle body cleaner all over the intake manifold and air hose plugs i dont see issues of vacuum leaks there.
I have an idea where the problem might be encountering from. When i swapped my motor i installed a new intake manifold gasket where i took off the manifold three times to change my starter and engine wire harness. I was wondering if the manifold gasket might be the problem how my car idles up and down.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

98 2.5 TL - Random Misfire CEL

So I just picked up this TL, has 132K on it but it does have the CEL on and the code came back p1399, random misfire.
So far I have checked plugs, coil pack and a few other things and I am down to the misfire detonation unit. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am new to the forum, and I am probably posting in the wrong section. All help is greatly appreciated.

I called the dealer and they said this car (2.5 TL) does not have a misfire detonation unit, I am a little confused.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Taino911
So I just picked up this TL, has 132K on it but it does have the CEL on and the code came back p1399, random misfire.
So far I have checked plugs, coil pack and a few other things and I am down to the misfire detonation unit. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am new to the forum, and I am probably posting in the wrong section. All help is greatly appreciated.

I called the dealer and they said this car (2.5 TL) does not have a misfire detonation unit, I am a little confused.
2.5TLs don't have coil packs. I guess you should start by checking/gapping spark plugs, wires, and maybe changing the distributor cap/rotor.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by main70072
2.5TLs don't have coil packs. I guess you should start by checking/gapping spark plugs, wires, and maybe changing the distributor cap/rotor.
I have already done the wires, plugs (correctly gapped), cap/rotor, you are correct in that each cylinder does not have a coil pack, but the car does have some sort of coil I may have mis-spoke when I said coil pack, it is located infront of the battery, but I replaced it and it is functional, misfire is still there.
I appreciate your help with this.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

I have already done the wires, plugs (correctly gapped), cap/rotor, you are correct in that each cylinder does not have a coil pack, but the car does have some sort of coil I may have mis-spoke when I said coil pack, it is located infront of the battery, but I replaced it and it is functional, misfire is still there.
I appreciate your help with this.
Ignition coil is what I should have said sorry....
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ignition coil is what I should have said sorry....
Ah okay, well the only other thing that I can think of right now is put some fuel system cleaner in your gas or seafoam the car to see if things improve. If it works, great if not then you are just cleaning things up. Also suggest getting a compression teat done just to be sure that is not your problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by main70072
Ah okay, well the only other thing that I can think of right now is put some fuel system cleaner in your gas or seafoam the car to see if things improve. If it works, great if not then you are just cleaning things up. Also suggest getting a compression teat done just to be sure that is not your problem.
Thank you I will go ahead and do that, this car is really throwing me for a loop... Leet me ask this, I know that it is running rich right now, and when I opened up the oil cap while it was running out of curiousity, I got a little bit of white smoke:-( Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you I will go ahead and do that, this car is really throwing me for a loop... Leet me ask this, I know that it is running rich right now, and when I opened up the oil cap while it was running out of curiousity, I got a little bit of white smoke:-( Any thoughts?
Replied to your other thread.