Would minor mods affect fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Would minor mods affect fuel economy?

Being the stickler that I am for a good combination of power and fuel economy, I was wondering if changing to a performance air filter (I've heard they don't do much) and adding a cold air intake would hurt my fuel economy or the reliability of my engine? It's the inline 5 cyl 96' TL btw.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I don't know of any aftermarket companies that produce an intake for the 2.5 but I have contacted a company that will check and see if any are produced. But adding a K&N increases gas milage a little and power a little depending on the present shape of your exisiting filter.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 PM

My current filter is a clean (changed it recently) stock air filter. How does the K&N filter increase power simultaneously with fuel economy? It seems contradictory, unless there is somehow an increase in efficiency. Also, I'm thinking that the more air you let in, the more particulate must be let in also. It's a proportional relationship I believe.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
As long as the filter doesn't restrict the air intake any more than stock, it shouldn't affect a thing.

The mods that REALLY affect fuel economy include heavy wheels and super sticky tires. Both create rolling resistence.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Advanced

i had my intake in and noticed a small diffrence with gas. i was getting less with my air intake wether it b the intake, or me playing badd ass and stomping around everywhere. i also talked to my mech. he said the stock intake system is as good as ur gonna get unless you get the jackson front dam air thingy thing. our intake system actually takes air from the road below the car. when people put those short arm cold air intake, there is no cold air being put into it. The head of the unit where the air is being sucked in is trapped under the hood which is all hot air(unless its 20 deg. out) made sence 2 me. i took of my air intake the next day. car runns smoother and more pick up where it counts. so what if my car dosnt sound like a CIVIC
Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like just a low restriction K&N filter might be the best (and cheapest) way to go.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like just a low restriction K&N filter might be the best (and cheapest) way to go. Anyone know if K&N has developed a filter for our 04 TL's?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by natrlmystic
i had my intake in and noticed a small diffrence with gas. i was getting less with my air intake wether it b the intake, or me playing badd ass and stomping around everywhere. i also talked to my mech. he said the stock intake system is as good as ur gonna get unless you get the jackson front dam air thingy thing. our intake system actually takes air from the road below the car. when people put those short arm cold air intake, there is no cold air being put into it. The head of the unit where the air is being sucked in is trapped under the hood which is all hot air(unless its 20 deg. out) made sence 2 me. i took of my air intake the next day. car runns smoother and more pick up where it counts. so what if my car dosnt sound like a CIVIC
Thanks for the info. As you can tell I was skeptical of making modifications in the first place. I was always a firm believer that if it really was better overall, why didn't they just put something on stock? (except for cost issues).
Old 06-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where can I find the best deal on a K&N filter?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, if you know the way an engine works, wouldnt it make sense that a cold air intake would benefit your car? Air is very important to your engine (cold air being best), and a CAI just has the pipe and a cone filter...it will be a little louder, but it will also be more efficient. It could cause your milage to go down if you drive it harder, but if you drive it the same, it should improve your milage a little. Simply put, you dont have the restrictive air box, or the intake resonators...just a straight pipe with an open cone filter right next to where the air comes in from the front of your car. I could be wrong, but I think air is good. I promise, your car loves it, and the more, the colder, the better.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by youngTL
My current filter is a clean (changed it recently) stock air filter. How does the K&N filter increase power simultaneously with fuel economy? It seems contradictory, unless there is somehow an increase in efficiency. Also, I'm thinking that the more air you let in, the more particulate must be let in also. It's a proportional relationship I believe.
The "filter" part of a K&N is the oil. somehow it lets in massive air (compared to a paper filter), and little or no particle. There is definitely an increase in efficiency with a K&N, it just doesnt effect enough things drastically enough for most ppl to realize its doing anything. If you think of the physics of everything, it makes sense...unless I'm just way off in space.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boarder.97.TL
The "filter" part of a K&N is the oil. somehow it lets in massive air (compared to a paper filter), and little or no particle. There is definitely an increase in efficiency with a K&N, it just doesnt effect enough things drastically enough for most ppl to realize its doing anything. If you think of the physics of everything, it makes sense...unless I'm just way off in space.
No, it makes sense now. I just didn't know that it used oil. Then the physics makes sense (I'm in geophysics by the way )

If the filter makes a big enough difference in fuel econonmy (I measure mine every time I fill, so I'd notice fast) and even a slight power difference, I'd save money and get it.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Advanced

boarder97 I do agree with you on the point that cold air is good for the engine. the only thing worng about getting a cold air intake is no one seems to get the one that actually makes a diffrence. I dont kno names, but there is a cold air intake made foe hondas ive seen before that does the job. Hot air rises, cold air is closer to the ground. the intake system that is stock actually pulls air up ffrom the road. The proper mod. for our car to to what we are looking for is not the short arm air intake. all that does is suck all the hot air that is trapped under our hood instead of fresh cold air from the road. I also noticed a smoother ride once i took my "cold air intake" off. the aftermarket one worked on the hiway going from 50-90, then it seemed to b puishing instead of just coasting along...it is nice 2 hear it go vrooooom tho
Old 06-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Racer

I definitely agree about the RAM air intake, those are bad news for our cars. A cold air intake that breathes right by the old intake should do the trick though...since thats where the air came from in the first place, but with a cold air intake, it should just be less restrictive. I could be wrong though, but I'll let you guys know when I get my RSWerks CAI on monday and throw that bad boy in!

YoungTL...this is a toughy. it should improve milage a little, but not really enough to make a difference. It should also give you a little more HP and Torque. I noticed my car didnt seem to "choke" as much going down the interstate or hitting it in town. I got my K&N for 40 bucks, so I figured if it did anything at all, it would be worth it!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by youngTL
No, it makes sense now. I just didn't know that it used oil. Then the physics makes sense (I'm in geophysics by the way )

If the filter makes a big enough difference in fuel econonmy (I measure mine every time I fill, so I'd notice fast) and even a slight power difference, I'd save money and get it.
best part being that you only buy a filter once
Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 PM
TL Enthusiast

Hot air rises, and cold air is down below............and so is WATER. If you're driving in wet conditions with a CAI, you can permanently damage your engine. So watch out for puddles.

As for an aftermarket air filter, the point of the air issue is less RESTRICTION, not more air going in. At 2,000 RPM, the engine needs just as much air with or without an aftermarket air filter. and at 35 MPH, less restrictive intakes require less engine work to keep at 35 MPH than more restrictive intake methods.