Wiring diagram for overhead midranges

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiring diagram for overhead midranges

Most of you guys know that once you put in an aftermarket deck, you lose the speakers in the roof because they have a seperate connecter.

I wanted mine back so I pulled them out of the roof and figured out what the wires were, couldn't find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Left:
Green/Red -> Positive (+)
Green/Orange -> Negative (-)

Right:
Green/Blue -> Positive (+)
Green -> Negative (-)

They all had silver on them too (the dots, not the stripes, I always forget the name for them lol)

Those should be right, I haven't hooked them up yet, but I will in a few hours. I am just going to splice them in with the front speakers and their respective sides, using a couple of insulated quick connects so they can come apart if you have to take the deck out.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Niiiiice

Looking forward to this. I like my MP3 deck but I prefer all 8 speakers
Old 03-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Niiiiice

Looking forward to this. I like my MP3 deck but I prefer all 8 speakers
Now I gotta figure out the front ones, haha, forgot about that part. I think they are labeled right on the wire though as to where they go, we'll see.

I'm hoping it sounds alright with them spliced in, that there aren't any problems. I figure the front two will be best.

I'm feeling sort of lazy about it right now and I think I'm just gonna splice them together instead of using the connects. My focus is really on the carputer, my never ending project.

Little stuff here and there, buh, hell, the other night i took of the lights for the license plate and cleaned them, they were gross, especially when you looked at them with the trunk open, hell of a lot nicer now.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just FYI: If you splice them into the wires for your front left and front right speakers they radio will overpower the mid/high range speakers... They will sound like ass and you will disconnect them... Just to save you some trouble, cus I tried hooking mine up too... See the factory H/U is set up to send a smaller/lower or whatever signal to those High/Mid range speakers, and your aftermarket headunit is going to send those speakers the same amount of power as the front 6 1/2s... Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Driver

Ouch, good to know, I acutally just got them spliced together and they work but i didn't really take the time to listen to them, oh well, they aren't back together yet anyways.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Driver

I just tried it out, they didn't seem to overpowering at lower volumes, it only seemed to get really pronounced at at least 50%.

I'm gonna try them out for a week or so and see what I think, I usually don't have my music that loud anyways, and it seems like they move the soundstage up quite a bit which is nice.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I know they run at different OHMs if that helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I know they run at different OHMs if that helps.
4 Ohm It is stamped right onto the bracket that they mount on, maybe there is a way to wire them up or somethin...
Old 03-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
4 Ohm It is stamped right onto the bracket that they mount on, maybe there is a way to wire them up or somethin...

The problem with the overhead tweeters is that they can not handle low freq.
I suggest putting an in-line filter on them to take the low freq. sounds out.
Right now I am using the high-pass filter on my deck (Pioneer DEH-p7700mp), and its working out very well.

Unsane - you still got your pc?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Driver

Yup, still got the PC. All is going well with it, need to get some updated pictures though of the new setup..

I've definately got to look into something to filter out stuff below a certain freq, didn't think to check if my HU could do it. I'd assume that if I did it that way, I would only get highs from teh front (where the roof are spliced in) and lows from the rear?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Pro

i was gonna do the same thing here but thought it would over power the speakers and sound like crap
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
TL Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klp45
The problem with the overhead tweeters is that they can not handle low freq.
I suggest putting an in-line filter on them to take the low freq. sounds out.
Right now I am using the high-pass filter on my deck (Pioneer DEH-p7700mp), and its working out very well.

Unsane - you still got your pc?

I am pretty sure the midranges in the ceiling already have in-line high-pass crossovers......

I have an alpine deck, but i have a two-channel amp under my seat running the two midranges.......i can turn it up loudly without bass distortion......... i thought when wiring it i certainly had to add crossovers, but they sound just fine. They must already have one built in. I'm not too worried about it as long as they sound ok.

PS i would not recommend splicing your stock wire to add the midranges to your door speakers....... it could change the impedence ("Ohms") or cause power problems......... besides I think it is 18 AWG wire, which is really small to begin with.