WILL A MESH GRILLE WORK ON A 97 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 08:40 PM

Question WILL A MESH GRILLE WORK ON A 97 3.2?

I WAS WONDERING IF IT COULD BE MADE FOR A 97 3.2 BECAUSE MY GRILLE IS MADE DIFFERENT THAN SOME OF THE CAR'S GRILLE'S I HAVE SEEN. I WAS WORRIED ABOUT IT NOT BEING WIDE ENOUGH AND I JUST CHECKED IT AND IT WAS BARELY WIDE ENOUGH, BUT THEN I BEGAN TO WORRY IF IT WOULD EVEN WORK BECAUSE OF THE BLACK PLASTIC THAT STICKS OUT. IT STICKS OUT PRETTY FAR AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT WON'T WORK. HOWEVER, I SAW WHERE 96TL SAID HE DID HIS AND HE HAS THE SAME GRILLE I HAVE. HEY 96TL, IS YOUR MESH GRILLE A DARK COLOR? ANYWAY, LET ME KNOW IF IT WILL WORK ON MY CAR BEFORE I TAKE IT APART. THANKS!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've held back from doing a mesh grill on my brother's 3.2 for the very same reason. The 3.2's grill insert (the black plastic part) sticks out considerably, making it downright impossible to put a grill on the way I put it on the Vigors, Legends and 2.5's and Generation 2 TL's.
I don't even know what to suggest to you as an alternative.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:56 PM

man that really sucks for my car to be the only one that a mesh grill won't work on. i went and got the stuff to do it tonight and i was all pumped about it too. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

A possibility is to replace your current grill with one from a 2.5. I have no experience with this - maybe someone, (NYCTL?),on the forum may know if this is possible.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:33 AM
whoXwanXsum

cannot replace the 3.2 grill with a 2.5.
the 3.2-z grill is part of the hood, the 2.5 grill is not. big difference!!!
Old 05-25-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro

the grill replacement (i have heard) is the same as the same with the 2.5 which i did and was VERY EASY. there are not really any useful instructions becuase it is so easy. all you do is remove the screws, and cut the gutter guard to the right size (must have patience) and then put it back on. unless you wnat to paint it. that is it. when you open the hood, you will see holes and screws. trust me it is very easy to figure out. good luck
Old 05-25-2001, 02:00 PM

no dude...you are confused. we are talking about my 97 3.2 which has a different grille than a 2.5. the black plastic of the grille sticks out beyond the trim which makes it impossible to install the gutter guard. understand? i wish someone knew something about this but i don't guess it can be done with mine.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:35 PM
Racer

W,
I'm giving you the best information at this point. I've done tons of these gutter grills but as I said the 3.2 poses problems due to the plastic jutting out.

Take out your grill this weekend and see if the "alternative" that I posted earlier would work.

Take a look at the diagram that I posted. If you don't put back in the black plastic portion, the 8-10 screws may just screw right into the silver grill molding.
If that's the case you can just put the mesh in, place the silver molding over the fitted mesh and secure the screws on the underside of the hood.

You will not be able to put the
embelm over it seeing that the molding will be gone, but your look will be similar to how jz983's grill looks

I don't how much more info you can possibly get other than that.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Racer

Actually
you might be able to pull it off.
The 3.2 is similar to the legend in how the grill is attached to the hood. See below

When you detach the grill from the hood, you can check to see if you can put it back in place WITHOUT the black plastic portion. If you can, then put the mesh in and you're set. If not then I really don't know what to offer other than shaving off the edges to make the mesh fit properly (which I wouldn't do personally but hey, we're trying to find solutions here.)
If you were local I would love to help you out but that's all I got. I'll take a look at my brother's this weekend and let you know next week

------------------
35% Tint
Acura Burlwood Shift Knob
Mesh Grill
PIAA SuperPlasma Headlights
Polarg Hyper White in Corner Headlights & Corner Bumper Lights
Clear Bumper Lenses
Old 05-25-2001, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

I have the mesh grille on my 3.2.Before cutting it to size bow it out a bit in the center to accomadate the grilles curves.Then put it in between the chrome piece and the grille itself and squeeze. Tighten the screws and you're done. It looks great. The only problem I had was the cutter I was using sucked big time and ruined a couple of the grilles I had cut out. Good tools will make it much easier.
Old 05-26-2001, 01:25 AM

thanks....but are you sure about the looks of it? it just doesn't look like it would look right if i get it to work. i mean do you know what i mean by the way i described the grille? i am sure you do but i just want to make sure you have the same grille and that it is worth doing....let me know!
Old 05-29-2001, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

It looks hot. definitely worth the effort. It looks store bought. I prefer the grille without the emblem but try both versions so you can decide for yourself. At first it looks as thought it wont fit. Cutting it to size properly is the key.