Who here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who here...

has rattling exhaust tips? Is there a way to stop this? I took mines out and put it back on where its tight and that shit still rattles. Its ghetto
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Not me, that I know of.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you sure it's your tips? it could be something loose in the muffler...could be a piece of the exhaust hitting on something close to the muffler and the sound would have no choice but to resonate out the back area if close enough. maybe a brace is loose? i mean the bad thing is that if you fixed what you think is wrong and it still makes noise, i can only think that it isn't that

if you can take a quick look underneath while someone shakes the exhaust a bit...see if you can find out where the noise is coming from.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by TLBaller
has rattling exhaust tips? Is there a way to stop this? I took mines out and put it back on where its tight and that shit still rattles. Its ghetto
I believe there is a heat plate that goes around our muffler... i'll have to double check later... since i'm going to bed already... but i remember thats what makes my rattleing noise underneath my car when i have my subs at full blast... check if that isn't either 1. Loose and hitting against your muffler... or 2. bent or crooked and hitting your muffler...

I'll take pic later too... just to varify...

Last thing... if its your mufflter tips... take them suckers off and see if you can maybe get some new ones... or better yet... change the whole muffler to something better... so you can get a bit better sound out of your exhaust... just remember, TLXrAcEr's kit is coming...
Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spooky3ce
I believe there is a heat plate that goes around our muffler... i'll have to double check later... since i'm going to bed already... but i remember thats what makes my rattleing noise underneath my car when i have my subs at full blast... check if that isn't either 1. Loose and hitting against your muffler... or 2. bent or crooked and hitting your muffler...

I'll take pic later too... just to varify...

Last thing... if its your mufflter tips... take them suckers off and see if you can maybe get some new ones... or better yet... change the whole muffler to something better... so you can get a bit better sound out of your exhaust... just remember, TLXrAcEr's kit is coming...
thanks for the input bro! I already have a kit.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Probably a heat sheild somewhere in the exhaust. I've been having a rattle that just started a dfew months ago, just haven't been able to get the car on a hoist to check it out. It will be on a hoist for a few weeks starting on Sat, so I'll take a look at it then. But that's probably what it is.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Unrelated, but did you know the BMW 330's have a little flap that blocks one of the two exhaust tubes? It closes at low RPMs to increase back pressure.

I was very surprised when I found out about this. Are there any aftermarket exhausts that do this?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Are you sure its the tips? maybe its coming from inside the silencer (or catalytic converter itself)
Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wackjum
Unrelated, but did you know the BMW 330's have a little flap that blocks one of the two exhaust tubes? It closes at low RPMs to increase back pressure.

I was very surprised when I found out about this. Are there any aftermarket exhausts that do this?
I haven't seen an aftermarket unit like this, would be good though! The new Maxima's have a similar feature there's an extra baffle that closes at low RPM to create more b.p.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by Cornflake
I haven't seen an aftermarket unit like this, would be good though! The new Maxima's have a similar feature there's an extra baffle that closes at low RPM to create more b.p.
I think they have aftermarket motors for dump tubes which is somewhat similar. A dump tube is a little cutout that is installed before the catylatic convertor or after. Then when you open the tube say before the header. It's like running open header which is very very loud and non restrictive. When its closed all the exhuast goes through the cat and out the muffler which would be similar to stock.