Turbo Sound associated with engine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Sound associated with engine...

So awhile ago I noticed that my engine was making a whining noise. This was back in the winter... Then it stopped and now its back. The whining isnt the transmission, reasonI know this is because it does it in park/neutral when i rev it. Anyways, another thing, my ABS light is very very weird, it sometimes is on, and sometimes isnt. This was extremely annoying in the winter months when snow was on the ground and i had to remember to pump my brakes when abs wasnt working and then remember not to pump the brakes wehn abs was working. So now my question is this, how come I am getting a whining noise?

Also is there any cheap fix for the damn noise when I lock my doors, the only benefit i get from it, is that i know my car door is locked when i use my remote. Thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Racer

Whining noises maybe a sign that your alternator.is kicking the bucket.
My Civic awhile back made a whining sound. Since the car was old and was busy with class, I didn't give a sh*t about it. Then one day, I came home from a party with a chick we met. All of a sudden the lights dimmed out, radio faded out,and finally the car wouldnt accelerate. I thought I was being abducted by a UFO.
Finally, I had to pull over in a dark, wooded backway at 1:00AM.
We ended up spending the night in my Civic because
we couldnt get any phone signal.

I dont now. thats my guess.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 AM
9th Gear

yeha i kinda thought might of been the case too....But I've showed no signs of dimming or battery going dead due to the alternator not keeping a charge...So I guess we'll see. Only time my lights even come close ot dimmin are when my subs are up loud.

Not really the sound of a turbo whine... Hard to describe, definitely comming from the motor...Maybe I ought to change the timing belt...Hm, I'll get it takin care of after classes get it, too much shit going on right now, but if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, that'd be sweet.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 AM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Originally Posted by Ysidro
I came home from a party with a chick we met. All of a sudden the lights dimmed out, radio faded out,and finally the car wouldnt accelerate. I thought I was being abducted by a UFO.
Finally, I had to pull over in a dark, wooded backway at 1:00AM.
We ended up spending the night in my Civic because
we couldnt get any phone signal.
lol sounds like your car breaking down couldnt have come at a better time
Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
9th Gear

Now today my check engine light came on...And I've had the emissions service done to it under warranty. So i think i'll goto autozone or something and have them pull the codes off to see what it is.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM
9th Gear

I'm fuckin pissed...I went to pull codes and it turns out that the code was the damn p0141 code... I already got this fuckin serviced 2 years ago in February and it went out again and I have 163k on it so i cant get the fuckin emissions warranty! ARGH!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Racer

You know chadek, while today your check engine light came on, mine went off.
Ive been having the check engine light on for awhile now. The code I had was, "P1660". The description say A/T FI Data Line Failure, but I dont know where and what the f*ck it actually was. So I say the hell with it. Id only take it to the dealer when its inspection time.
Everytime it comes on in the past, I would go broke for a whole week. Id have to drink water for breakfast, eat $0.50 potato chips for lunch, and dined my girl friend's terrrible cooking.

And now, today, Id changed the PCV valve, and after riding it for about 10 minutes, to my surprised, the check engine light went away.
If that was the A/T FI Data Line Failure then damn, its vague.

By the way, if you know how to fix the p0141, then maybe you can tell us what you did? That would save us a trip to the dealer. Someday, I want to go throught the code list and have people post solutions or clues to each of the codes. But that may take awhile. I dont know. goodluck though.

Oh yeah forgot something.
the powersteering unit whines too went somethings wrong check that too.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If the sound is intermittent, you might check the cooling fans. As they age, the fans will begin to wobble and bear against the permanent magnet field rings. This produces an annoying screeching/growling sound that sets your teeth on edge. With a bump it may disappear for some time, but inevitably returns.

The bearings in the idler pulleys can go bad and produce a whining, growling sound. New idler pulleys are the fix.

PS pump is a possibility if the fluid level is low.

AC compressor will sometimes make a whining sound. My 2.5TL makes a noise at about 2500rpm, but is not noticeable at idle, and can't hear at higher speeds.

good luck
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM
9th Gear

I still need to check the fluid in the ABS sometime soon and refill that bullshit,

What other fluids could produce that noise?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 AM
97 Midnite Blu TL

Well my friend's civic was also making a whining nosie and he took it to a shop and they oh it's the valves, it needs to be rejusted and cleaned and it also happens in only when he's reving up like a heavy foot driving my TL is also doing this but my car also has a exhust leak. My TL does it at about 3500rpms.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 AM
9th Gear

YOU SUCK bitch, learn some engines... im drunk as hell and i even know your completely wrong. YOU SUCK TOTALLY.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
97 Midnite Blu TL

Originally Posted by chadeck
YOU SUCK bitch, learn some engines... im drunk as hell and i even know your completely wrong. YOU SUCK TOTALLY.
Then if you know so much why the FUCK you asking. Telling mine the damn one. Nigga fuck you!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:21 AM
8th Gear

Fighting online is futile. Just let it go.