Towed!!!! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
1998 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towed!!!! WTF

I think one of the worst feelings in the world is to turn the corner and not see your TL where you left it.

FYI Don't park within 10-15 feet of a fire hydrant. I was maybe 5 feet away but that wasn't good enough.

So they towed my car. My question is what kind of damage can be done from improper towing? I had my e-brake on and my steering wheel locked (after you turn off the ignition, turn your wheel until it locks). Do either of those really matter, or are they easy to get around? Also, is the TL front or rear wheel drive? I doubt it was flatbedded, but it probably should have been. I'm pissed.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Hurricane Game

the acura dealer told me these should always be flatbedded...but maybe he was just being a good guy too. also, no matter if you have all wheels locked....they raise your car up and put it on wheel dollies. so if NOTHING else....at least no more miles on car were recorded. make sure they had the yellow/red on the curb, too. i know you're supposed to know the space to park....but they must have that paint there by law as well. so check that out. sorry to hear about this tho...big boo on it
Old 06-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i konw the feeling.. happen to me twice in one week... it's the most aggrevating feeeling in the world. waste of money and time..

i remember thinking of how i could use that money for mods...
Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructor

That sucks! Unless the fire dept. had to use that fire hydrant that day I have never heard of a car being towed because its too close to a fire hydrant...usually people just get a citation...wow!...maybe you have a neighbor that doesnt like you or something. If that was the case in my area...cars would be towed every 30min.! Flat bed towing is always a + but your car was problably towed with its front wheels up which is a good thing because its a front wheel drive. If you havent picked it up yet...take a digital camera with you when you go to the yard beacuse when your car is towed with its front wheels up alot of times the lower part of the rear bumper and maybe even your rear tail pipes get f***** up because you know those tow truck drivers dont give a sh** about anyones car while their driving. If its damaged...take pics in their yard because that will be the only evidence you will have if you want to sue the towing company for damages to your car.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
TL is front wheel drive... if the e-brake is off.. they can just lift the front of the car and tow it away.. the rears are always free moving... if ur e-brak is up, they do have ways of getting into the car and releasing the brake to tow it.. but from previous experiences they usually don't bother and just tow the ebrake till it burns out.. u can over power it.. or burn alot of rubber dragging it..
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Also check the front of your car. Even with the flatbeds when they chain the car up to pull it onto the bed, the chain can bend the front airdam or just rub against it and chip off paint. Happened on an integra i had. Tow companies are the worst of the worst. They will screw you for every single penny they can, then scratch your car and tell you to fuck off. Personally i would bring a video camera and record the whole time you are picking it up as well as every inch of the car. I deal with tow companies daily for my work (auto finance) and i would not trust a single person at a tow company.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:43 PM
1998 3.2TL

I got my car back. No apparent damage. When I was picking it up from the city pound, a bunch of flatbed towtruck guys were hanging out in the yard, so it may have been flatbedded after all. Also, the e-brake was off when I got in, so they probably slimjimmed it or whatever and just got in and disengaged the e-brake. The steering wheel was still locked, but I guess that wouldn't have mattered anyway. The radio wasn't reset which means the battery wasn't disconnected, so I guess the alarm wasn't disabled either. How long does the factory alarm go off before it stops?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
TL is front wheel drive... if the e-brake is off.. they can just lift the front of the car and tow it away.. the rears are always free moving... if ur e-brak is up, they do have ways of getting into the car and releasing the brake to tow it.. but from previous experiences they usually don't bother and just tow the ebrake till it burns out.. u can over power it.. or burn alot of rubber dragging it..
That's crazy man, all tow trucs have dollies which they would use in the case of all for wheels being locked. Trust me they would use them cause they charge an extra $40 just to use them and since the bill is going to the city, i am sure they wouldn't hesistate to pull them out.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:27 AM
信是寶

Originally Posted by Cornflake
That's crazy man, all tow trucs have dollies which they would use in the case of all for wheels being locked. Trust me they would use them cause they charge an extra $40 just to use them and since the bill is going to the city, i am sure they wouldn't hesistate to pull them out.

Not so, I saw them first hand just lift a car and drag the damn thing about half a mile to the lot. Yep, the e-brake was on and they just pulled the car all the way down the street. It was during and Arts fest and they faster they could tow all the illegal parked cars the more $$$ they got ... so they wanted to pick up the next one as soon as possible.

I don't trust those guys either ... bunch of yahoos - like the Repo men.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well in that case, they should paynig for two new damned tires!! Thast is complete BS.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:56 AM
1998 3.2TL

Well since my e-brake was up when I left it and down when I picked it up from the pound, me thinks they broke-in and put it down so the car could be towed a bit easier. What nice guys they are.