For those that have done the Legend Brake Upgrade: HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that have done the Legend Brake Upgrade: HELP!

I've searched and read all the threads I can find about the topic and cannot find the answer in any of them. I need to know what I'm doing wrong with this upgrade for my '98 3.2TL and I need help ASAP as my car is still in the shop.

Colt's NSX brake upgrade thread specifically mentions Legend GS COUPE rotors and KaM's post in the same thread says the Legend GS Coupe and Sedan Caliper can both be used.

I bought a pair of Legend GS SEDAN rotors and calipers. The mechanic said the rotor wouldn't fit the (stock 3.2TL) caliper bracket. Then I got back on this forum and found (thanks, Undyroos) that you also have to have the Legend GS caliper bracket if you're using the parts above. So, I got those, too, (also off a SEDAN) and the mechanic says they still won't fit and that the GS SEDAN caliper bracket is the same as the stock 3.2TL bracket.

Looking at the auto parts websites, it appears that the rotors are the same for both the Legend GS COUPE and SEDAN.

What am I doing wrong? Wrong rotor? Wrong bracket? Do the calipers have to be flipped L-R and R-L? Again, this is for a 3.2.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
our cars come stock with type I brakes (single piston setup). you are trying to upgrade to type II brakes (two piston system). type II brakes were available on ALL 2nd gen legend COUPES (L, LS, GS) and ONLY on the legend GS SEDAN. if the new bracket you got is the same as stock then you got the bracket from a base, L or LS SEDAN and you still have type I brackets and they will not work with type II hardware.

go back and swap the brackets for legend COUPE ones. iirc, ALL 2nd gen coupes have type II brakes and there will be no more confusion.

or wait til ken chimes in, he will know.

hope this helps. it's been a while since i did my swap but check the thread again for all the info. oh, and you do not need to swap calipers left to right and vice versa if you do the type II swap. you only need to do this for the NSX calipers because the bleed holes are on the other end of the caliper.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
didn't your caliper come with the caliper mounting bracket? mine came all together to ensure nothing was missing... undyroos is right, perhaps, they gave u a type I bracket to try and use with the type II, but the rotor shouldn't be an issue... the only diff between the type II rotor is that it is slight thicker than the type I rotor... you can use type II bracket on a type I rotor as it is the same diameter...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

Thank you both. The mechanic ordered the caliper for me, so I haven't seen it and don't know if it came w/ a bracket (presumably it didn't) and my wife picked up the bracket I bought at the wrecking yard and delivered it to the mechanic, so I haven't seen it either. Is there any difference between the Left and Right brackets? I found this at autopartswarehouse.com : http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ba...em_id=13261778

but they only carry the Passenger side. I'm assuming they're identical - L & R. $20 ea

Last edited by Pottsville Maroons; 05-25-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I'm almost certain you use cl/tl rotors and brackets. You have to flip the calipers l to r unless you don't mind the extra effort to bleed them with the bleeders pointing down.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pottsville Maroons
I've searched and read all the threads I can find about the topic and cannot find the answer in any of them. I need to know what I'm doing wrong with this upgrade for my '98 3.2TL and I need help ASAP as my car is still in the shop.

Colt's NSX brake upgrade thread specifically mentions Legend GS COUPE rotors and KaM's post in the same thread says the Legend GS Coupe and Sedan Caliper can both be used.

I bought a pair of Legend GS SEDAN rotors and calipers. The mechanic said the rotor wouldn't fit the (stock 3.2TL) caliper bracket. Then I got back on this forum and found (thanks, Undyroos) that you also have to have the Legend GS caliper bracket if you're using the parts above. So, I got those, too, (also off a SEDAN) and the mechanic says they still won't fit and that the GS SEDAN caliper bracket is the same as the stock 3.2TL bracket.

Looking at the auto parts websites, it appears that the rotors are the same for both the Legend GS COUPE and SEDAN.

What am I doing wrong? Wrong rotor? Wrong bracket? Do the calipers have to be flipped L-R and R-L? Again, this is for a 3.2.

Thank you in advance.
All 93+ coupes and 94+ GS sedans have the dual piston calipers. You need the brackets, as well as the rotors, from those models. Calipers do not have to be flipped as it is in the same configuration as the Legends.

Originally Posted by undyroos
our cars come stock with type I brakes (single piston setup). you are trying to upgrade to type II brakes (two piston system). type II brakes were available on ALL 2nd gen legend COUPES (L, LS, GS) and ONLY on the legend GS SEDAN. if the new bracket you got is the same as stock then you got the bracket from a base, L or LS SEDAN and you still have type I brackets and they will not work with type II hardware.

go back and swap the brackets for legend COUPE ones. iirc, ALL 2nd gen coupes have type II brakes and there will be no more confusion.

or wait til ken chimes in, he will know.

hope this helps. it's been a while since i did my swap but check the thread again for all the info. oh, and you do not need to swap calipers left to right and vice versa if you do the type II swap. you only need to do this for the NSX calipers because the bleed holes are on the other end of the caliper.
Actually, only 93+ coupes all had the dual piston, so it might be a tad tougher to find just the brackets alone.

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
didn't your caliper come with the caliper mounting bracket? mine came all together to ensure nothing was missing... undyroos is right, perhaps, they gave u a type I bracket to try and use with the type II, but the rotor shouldn't be an issue... the only diff between the type II rotor is that it is slight thicker than the type I rotor... you can use type II bracket on a type I rotor as it is the same diameter...
^Correct. It's possible that whomever you got the bracket from doesn't know the differences in brackets between type I and type II calipers.

Originally Posted by Pottsville Maroons
Thank you both. The mechanic ordered the caliper for me, so I haven't seen it and don't know if it came w/ a bracket (presumably it didn't) and my wife picked up the bracket I bought at the wrecking yard and delivered it to the mechanic, so I haven't seen it either. Is there any difference between the Left and Right brackets? I found this at autopartswarehouse.com : http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ba...em_id=13261778

but they only carry the Passenger side. I'm assuming they're identical - L & R. $20 ea
Left and right brackets are identical. I have a feeling the wrecker gave your wife the wrong part.

Originally Posted by TLer trash
I'm almost certain you use cl/tl rotors and brackets. You have to flip the calipers l to r unless you don't mind the extra effort to bleed them with the bleeders pointing down.
You use type II legend rotors, brackets, and calipers. You do not need to flip the calipers.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone. I found some more info on those brackets on a Legend forum. There's a code stamped onto the brackets noting the thickness of the corresponding rotor in mm: 23T, 25T & 28T. Legend dual piston calipers require 28T brackets (28mm rotor) while the wrecking yard sold my wife 23T brackets, which I'm fairly certain are what's already on my car now.

Right now, I'm driving with the dual piston caliper and my 23?mm turned rotors. It's hard to tell how much of an improvement the calipers are alone given that my brakes were pretty bad before the turned rotors. I also know that I won't fully realize the improvement of the new caliper until I have the proper rotor. I did have to slam on the brakes on my way home from the mechanic's place and, even though I was travelling at a slower speed, stuff flew off my passenger seat further forward onto the floorboard than it had with the old brake setup.

Hopefully, I'll have the correct brackets in time to finish this conversion this weekend. Just in time before my CL-S wheels arrive!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Where can i get me some LEgend Dual Piston Calipers.... Please HeLP......
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
^Parts store. Rebuilt of course.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Advanced

I checked out some cant figure out which company to go with

Beck Arnley or A1 cardone?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Found Calipers but cant find Caliper Brackets....
Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Need Rotors Found me some calipers..... What kind of rotors can i get for these? diameter and Thickness ?