rotors: oem vs brembo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotors: oem vs brembo

does anybody know which is better?

i found some front brembo rotors for $62.69 at masterautoparts.com
but original acura front rotors are around $100.

one thing i found too is that for some reason brembo doesn't make rear rotors for our cars...? would it be okay to have two different brand rotors?

i was thinking to buy front brembo rotors for $62.69 and rear mountain rotors for $49.08 at the same site (masterautoparts.com) .... which is less than buying front and rear OEM rotors.

OR .... should i just pay the price for OEM rotors???
Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Get the Brembos. The Acura rotors tend to warp sometimes
Old 08-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro

hmmm.... yeah i heard someone saying that acura rotors tend to warp easy but didn't know if it were true. i'll probably just with brembos---thanks Ken!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Advanced

The Acura rotors definitely warp (esp the fronts). I am not a brake expert, but I don't think there should be any problem running Brembos on the front and Acura OEMs on the rear. Did you go with cross-drilled? Vented?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:29 AM
LDH
I

Brembo blanks are what im using. But since you mentioned that brembo doesn't make rears it makes me wonder what kinda rear rotors i have cus i remember all brembo boxes when i had them installed.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Racer

Brembos are better, no doubt. But I don't know about mismatching rotors... I don't think it'll matter.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone post pics and/or links to them. thnx
Old 08-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dan jacobsen
Did you go with cross-drilled? Vented?
Originally Posted by outlaw29
can anyone post pics and/or links to them. thnx
picture of brembo rotors
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Having different rotor brands on front vs. back won't matter. The only time you could mess with the braking characteristics is if you had some wholly upgraded brake setup on front and nothing but stock on the rear. Nothing would be harmed, per se, but your brake bias would be very different. Just different brand rotors wouldn't do much.

FYI, as far as drilled/slotted, NEITHER is better for basic street use. While they are lighter, that removed material increases the risk of warping and cracking. While they may allow outgassing of the pads, they will also chew them up. For pure braking performance, you're better off getting, a) better tires and b) larger rotors/calipers. While just my opinion, I know a bunch of people who also believe this.

Oh, but they are much better f0 t3H m4D 6L1Ng!!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
on the 3.2 did the rear disc brakes have to be pressed off like the 2.5?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonicblue
Having different rotor brands on front vs. back won't matter. The only time you could mess with the braking characteristics is if you had some wholly upgraded brake setup on front and nothing but stock on the rear. Nothing would be harmed, per se, but your brake bias would be very different. Just different brand rotors wouldn't do much.

FYI, as far as drilled/slotted, NEITHER is better for basic street use. While they are lighter, that removed material increases the risk of warping and cracking. While they may allow outgassing of the pads, they will also chew them up. For pure braking performance, you're better off getting, a) better tires and b) larger rotors/calipers. While just my opinion, I know a bunch of people who also believe this.

Oh, but they are much better f0 t3H m4D 6L1Ng!!
I disagree. I just installed cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the front of my car. I had PowerSTOP x-drilled on my integra for 5 years on the same front rotrs. YES they were cracking when I took them off, but I am VERY hard on my brakes. While it's true that there is some rigidity removed from the rotor by drilling or slottig them, the cooling benefits FAR help to keep the rotor from warping more than the decrased strength causes it to warp. Also, having cross drilled will eat your pads a bit faster, but typically you would go with a high metallic or ceramic pad to increase the life. by doing this the brakes should last almost as long as any other replacement, and longer than if you went with a cheap aftermarket pad/rotor. The honda OEM brakes on our TL's are VERY prone to warping due to the large size of our cars and our relatively small brakes. I know my dad changed the rotors twice when he owned the car, and I just changed them after owning it for two years. That is why I went with x-drilled AND slotted rotors. I aslo went with a quality brake pad, Raybestes QS Ceramics, excellent pads, very quiet and decent life. Also ceramic pads have less brake dust than conventional pads. I am not trying to stat a battle here, just my $0.02 from personal experience (having a few friends that own performance shops has taught me a LOT about what really works and what doesn't).
Old 08-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Also, most big-brake kits will come with a larger cross drilled/slotted rotor as part of the kit.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced

No offense taken, Cornflake. I know this is a hotly raged debate and I've read a lot of personal experiences with different cars. Plus, I've tried to inject some of my own knowledge and logic. I know x-drilled/slotted can help with cooling but for most normal driving, cooling isn't an issue. Only for people who do TONS of stop-and-go or racing does heat-up become a real issue. When I had my WRX, there was no such thing as "normal" driving - it was all fun, all the time! But, my TL has a much easier life! For my purposes, it seems that the largest and most solid braking surface is my best bet.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Yeah, it seems to be a large debate on here!! I will say that for an average driver who takes NO pleasure in exploring ANY of the limits of their car then yes, 90% of the time the x-drilled might not help, but in NO case will they hinder brake performance, be more likely to warp or crack over regular brakes. However if you enjoy DRIVING your car, which I do, even my TL, which I fell is sportier than most people make it out to be, then any upgrade to the stock brakes would be an asset. I'm trying to find stainless steel brake lines now to up the feel of my brakes. I have always felt them to be a bit spongy.