need help? rear brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help? rear brake pads

hi need help with rear brake pads?If someone could help that would be cool. step by step and pics would be helpful.a friend of mine did my front pads and I helped him but the rears look a little bit different. thanks alot
Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
They're pretty much the same. A long time ago (a year or so), I posted a DIY that you can probably still find.

The only exception is that you will need a brake press kit. I don't know the official name for them. It's basically a piston that you fit into your rear calipers to press them back into the housing. With the front pads, you can use a C-clamp and the old pads to do that, but the rears pretty much require the kit.

Go to Autozone and ask for it. They have a leasing thing where you pay for it with a credit card and when you return it, they refund you the money.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Like wackjum said it's pretty much the same. Just make sure the emergency brake is off. And you have to screw the pistons into the caliper instead of simply compressing them like the fronts. You also have to make sure the cross on the piston is right or else the caliper won't go over the pads.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

You need a rear brake caliper tool. It costs like $15 and looks like a square that goes on the end of a rachet.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Racer

hi need help with rear brake pads?If someone could help that would be cool. step by step and pics would be helpful.a friend of mine did my front pads and I helped him but the rears look a little bit different. thanks alot

To change the rear brake pads, there are 2 big screws that hold the caliper.
It is to the left and right of the caliper.
You unscrew one of the bolt and flip up the caliper thingy.
Then remove the 2 brake pads.

To push in the piston, you will need to twist the piston. I forgot which direction, its been a while since I'd done it. Autozone sells a tool that looks like a cube with teeth on all sides. You will need to rotate the cube and find the teeth that fit into the piston. When I first used it, I spent 1 hour try to rotate that f*cking thing with my hands.I'll tell you one thing, it is a b*tch!
It is too small and thus doesnt have enough leverage to actually twist the piston.
What worked for me was my good old vise grip pliers.
When using the vise grip pliers to twist the piston, first cover the piston with a thin cloth so it wont scratch, and turn it slowly. The piston is not so long so it wont take too long at that rate. Once the piston has been pushed in, install the pads, flip the caliper back down, install the bolt, pump the brake pedal, and check.
Thats it. Goodluck.