Need advice info on car auido

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004 | 11:32 PM
Racer

Need advice info on car auido

I just replaced my stock deck with my pioneer deck. The pioneer has 2 preouts and I want to put a sub with amp in the trunk and try to either rattle the trunk for some looks or blow a cheapy up. I have no idea to hook it all up or what I would need to complete the addition of a bumping sub. thanks!
Old 05-09-2004 | 12:24 AM
LDH
I

the parts you need would be a sub, sub enclosure, amp, amp kit...consist of a power wire, ground wire, remote wire, rca cables, and all the little connectors.

now what to choose...first two things that always have to be known...what kinda setup are you looking for? and how much money you got to spend?(this is really more important then the first question )
Old 05-09-2004 | 08:51 AM
Racer

thanks for the parts list. should i go for 2 subs or one... I dont want to spend the bank but i thought getting some used or cheap to see how i like the setup first. later i plan on a total redo of the car so for now i just want some bass.
Old 05-09-2004 | 04:39 PM
Advanced

just remember to do this. when running your power wire to the back(or where ever ur amp is), run your rca's and remote wire together, and oppsite side of the car for the power wire. in not so confusing terms, dont run all 3 wires to the back together. will cause noise or a crackly sound. what kind of deck did ya get??
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:20 PM
LDH
I

for an ok sub...look at alpine, jl audio, kicker...theres a lot of brands but those are good brands for starter subs. A price range would hep a lot more and keep in mind the amps tend to cost more then the subs in most cases.

running the rca cables and power wire on oppisite sides will reduce the interference and whine but...getting good rca cables is more important then putting them on oppisite sides.
Old 05-09-2004 | 09:52 PM
Racer

from what I've been told, (i just got a stereo and need to hook it up yet) I should take out my passenger seat and run the wires under the carpet...how do i get my back seat out, just pull on the bottom and take that part out? In my other car i just needed to take out the side steps with screws, but this car is a little nicer Has anyone wired their own system, and if so, was it tough and how did you run from the trunk to the front??? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:09 PM
Racer

I have a Pioneer DEH-P4400 I think, I've had it over 2years in the delsol. I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 to get started since I'm trying to move and don't have a lot to spare. And like Boarder.97.TL asked, which is best way to get the wire to the trunk. I don't like the idea of under floorboard of carpet so you see a lump in it. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:19 PM
Safety Car

i took out my passenger seat (unscrew bolts) to run the wire under the carpet. i ran from the deck...down beneath the stick gear...then down beneath the passenger seat...then to the sills..on down to the back seat and through the side of the back seat into the trunk
Old 05-10-2004 | 12:05 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Run the power and trigger wires down one side of the car under the plastic doorsill (pop it off) then run the RCA cables down the other side. Keep them on opposite sieds and you'll have a better chance of avoiding engine noise. This way keeps the wires from being visible. I usually just tuck them in under the carpet a bit so they basically sit inthe corner of where the floorboard curves up. You can't see them and they stay reasonably protected.
Old 05-10-2004 | 12:10 PM
Racer

What about polk audio and xplod amps? thans for info... i know what to look for now. what about removing rear seat? how do you take it out?
Old 05-10-2004 | 12:25 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

You can run the wire up under the rear trim piece then pull it out from between the bottom and top of the seat and feed it into the trunk. But if you want to take out the seat there are I think four bolts in between the two pieces then you can lift out the top and bottom. BE CAREFULLL there are SHARP edges on the brackets for the upper seat and I scratched my leather on the seat bottom BADLY putting it back in last time cause I was rushing and being lazy.
Old 05-11-2004 | 10:55 AM
Racer

Awesome, thanks for all the replies guys. In that case, I'll probably just run the wires on opposite sides of the car, in each "door jam" or whatever they are called. thats what I did in my old car, just didnt know if it would work for the TL. I imagine its easy enough to get the wires between the seat to get to the trunk, but can you see the wire's at all when you do that, or can you just see a tiny piece of wire going from the jam through the seat?
Old 05-11-2004 | 01:27 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

You can't see anything. You run the wire up into the plastic trim where it meets the door sill, then up and out under the seat. The wire is completely hidden.