looking to do some work on the Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003 | 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Question looking to do some work on the Car

Hey all:

I am interested in doing some work on the car before the Cleveland winter sets in along with some regular maintenance that needs to be done. I'd like to get some suggestions from all you experienced TL fanatics out there. Here are the specifics of the car:

1997 Acura 2.5 TL (standard), 142K miles. I have stock everything. I have had all the recalls taken care of (front ball joints, emissions, etc.). I've also had the 90K Timing belt/Water pump action; I do regular oil changes at 3K with Mobil 1 Synth, Mobil 1 filter (have been since 28K when I got it).

Problems (that I need some suggestions on):

1. How often do I need to have the water pump/timing belt work done? I got it done at roughly 75K. Is it better to stick with the dealer on this work or can I go to a regular shop? Would it be cheaper to get the parts and have others do it?

2. CD palyer basically doesn't work--should I replace (OEM) or should I upgrade to a new head unit? Also, speakers are getting spent--can you guys recommend some replacements that have some power to the OEM speaker set-up? I don't want to add anything to it (subwoofers, amps, etc)

3. I want to get the brake pads, brake rotors, and I want to install stainless steel brake lines--which aftermarkets are good for the 97 TL? Should I order parts and take to dealer or to a shop?

4. Suspension hasn't been changed since I got the care at 28K in 2000. I have had mostly highway miles for the past three years, though I have lots of stop and go now. Should I upgrade or just replace with OEM? Again, who should i take this too?

5. Tranny fluid flush/Brake fluid/Coolant--which are the best for our car and can I go synth. on the first two? Again, dealer or another shop?

6. Hoses--should I replace hoses after 142K? I know that hoses deteriorate from the inside out...is this a good call in terms of replacement?

7. Air filter--I want to get the K & N version for our car--is this a good idea? I have one for my Saab (for which I do all of my work, but the Acura is just too damn complex for me to do anything too involved on it. And my Saab is in a garage until Spring)

8. When accelerating at 40mph and roughly 60mph, I get a shudder (i guess that's the best way I can explain it) that seems to jerk me and shake me a bit in the seat of my pants--is this from the tranny or from shifting (I have the automatic)? IS this bad (i assume it is).

9. HID--what's good for our car? Or should I just upgrade to superwhites? Who's good for that?

10. Anything else you guys can think of for a car of my mileage?

(also, what kind of prices should I expect for these above? I'd like to order parts online and then take to someone who is capable...anyone know a good Acura mechanic in the Cleveland, OH metro area?)

i guess that's it guys. Sorry for the laundry list, but I really want my car to last--I love the TL and I love it's ride. I want to sustain it and make it better if I can. I'm not into lowering it nor am I into having it look like a hot rod or a goddamn Civic Ricer (sorry guys)...I'm not 18 years only anymore (far from it) but I really like the classy/sporty look of the TL.

You can either respond here or contact me privately at:

philbomb69 (at) earthlink (dot) net

Thanks so much, in advance, for your timely help
Old 11-01-2003 | 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

#8: i got the same thing happen to my car.. i still dunno wat it is..
#9: get hids.. i got two sets in there.. 6000k each... one for fogs and headlights.. ppl hate me...
Old 11-01-2003 | 09:11 PM
Advanced

#1 try to get it done every 90k miles. Stick with dealer parts, but not neccessary dealer labor

#2 definitely upgrade to an aftermarket

#5 fluids, just go with the ok brands. Doesnt have to take to a dealer, they overcharge. I would not recommend sync for high mileage cars.
Old 11-01-2003 | 09:13 PM
Safety Car

2) upgrade to a new headunit. if you replace the stock unit, its going to cost you as much as a new head unit...if not, more! aftermarket headunit is so much clearer but the thing is that if you buy an aftermarket headunit, you'll loose the tweeters...at least i do with my alpine

3) rotors (check on ebay..they have slotted brembos but make sure its for your 2.5 and not 3.2). brake pads, there are 2 brands that i know if made for our cars. AXXIS metal masters and AEM. i went with axxis and the stopping power on those badboys are nice!! the only downside is that it gives off dust like a mofo.. brakelines.. i believe this site sells brake lines for our cars.. you might want to click on the word, "brakes" above

4) you can upgrade but theres not much out there for us. eibach is like the only brand thats available for us when it comes to springs. there are coilovers by ground control and skunk2. my friend has skunk2 on his integra and its super stiff...i wouldnt recommend it at all. there are some people on here who are rockin the ground controls and said nothing but positive things about them. if you want the "stock ride" with a drop look, go with ground control with koni shocks. getting coilovers with stock shocks will make your car bouncy and squeeky.. keep in mind you have to get an alignment with each of the height you set it to or else your tires will be eaten up.

5) tranny flush.. i did that with my tune up at 60k and the car shifts smooth. i could barely tell it shifting gears compared to before. no more jerking..

7) air filter, id go with the drop in k&n. hell, thats the only air filter made specifically for our cars. there isn't any intake either unless you customize it.

8) see number 5

9) hid's are now illegal as of august of 03. the reason why aftermarket hid are illegal is b/c amateurs install them wrong and have them pointing too high and blinding people. you can still buy them on ebay though. our headlights are H4 and fog lights are H3C

10) just keep up with your 3k oil changes and get your tune ups whenever needed and your car will last you forever. our cars are 100% built in japan so you know they're rock solid.
Old 11-02-2003 | 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

9.) from what i've noticed autolamps-online.com has the best retrofits for the HID's. You can get more info if you go to the HID faq, http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/