JDM Saber Optitron Gauge Cluster--wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM Saber Optitron Gauge Cluster--wiring questions

Hello all. I have a request from anyone who can fill it. I have a JDM Honda Saber Optitron Gauge cluster (in pics below...I think you'll like it!!). I have the wiring diagrams from Honda of Japan for both the JDM 2.5l(UA1/UA2 types) and the 3.2L(UA3 tyoe). I have successfully rewired this cluster (it's from 3.2L UA3) so that it works in a JDM 2.5 (UA1/2). It was difficult, but doable. The couplers on the back of the optitron clusters are different than on the non-optiitron clusters. There are 2 in-line couplers (one 16pin and one 13pin) like on the 2.5's but there is also a square, double-row, 22pin coupler (for vehicles with SRS there is also 4pin coupler).

What I need right now are the wiring diagrams for the US 2.5L and 3.2L clusters (both, if they are different). The wiring from the JDM 3.2 to the 2.5 was hellaciously different so I'm assuming that it is going to be just as hard for the USDM types, also.

Here is a pic of the normal JDM cluster (much like the USDM cluster with the exception of the needles and the speedo km/h numbers):

Now, imagine that being replaced with this.... a pic of the cluster that I am speaking of. It is a JDM OEM item for the UA3 3.2L Saber, ONLY, as far as I know...or, it could be an option for that vehicle, only. I DO know that it is made for the UA3, only.

Here is the back of the JDM 2.5 clusters. I'm sure the layout is exactly the same as the USDM clusters. I just need to get a pin-out of the couplers (wiring diagram/schematics):

These optitron clusters are almost completely blacked out when the key is not in the IGN ON position (meaning you can barely see the gauges and indicators when the car is off because the face of the cluster is dark) but when the engine is started, everything lights up...in day or night. It's quite a nice cluster which is why I'm anxious to get these wiring diagrams.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I've seen those and I was wondering if we'd be able to use them! Good luck with getting the wiring down, m8!

~Cheers~
Old 02-27-2007, 09:27 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Go90go
I've seen those and I was wondering if we'd be able to use them! Good luck with getting the wiring down, m8!

~Cheers~
I think that if I can get the USDM wiring diagram there shouldn't be any problem. If I can get it to work with the JDM 2.5L I should be able to get it to work with the USDM, also. If I can get the diagram, I can put a DIY thread for swapping out these clusters (to include the complete wiring, of course). Let's just hope that someone out there has diagrams, or at least access to them and can shoot me a copy...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
if u do get put in the jdm cluster in, can i get your usdm cluster
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

LOL!
Dude, are you going old school or what?
Those clusters look like its from the night rider.
But I guess its alright though. Great find.

When I look at it I alrready see a problem in hooking it up.
The milege part is digital. ours is mechanical.
good luck luck man.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Htown slab rider

LoL....U KNOW...those jdm clusters are in no way tight at all, they look like somn off the 80's, plain and simple they are extremely ugly and i dont like them but its your car i respect people who do what they want to do so please dont let us change yur mind...u like what u like....stay fly...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job emsidj! I love the JDM Opitron cluster. Looks a lot like the Soarer (SC400) cluster of yore. Any chance you can get your hands on more of these units. I might be interested in retrofitting that to my 3.2TL.

How would the odometer work. Say my car displays "152000" on the analog meter it has right now. If I were to connect the optitron to it, what would the digital odo say. I know on newer Honda/Acuras the odo reading is stored in the ECU, but I'm not sure how it is with first gen TL's.

Either way, NICE WORK. Hopefully, someone can supply you with wiring diagrams for a USDM cluster.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ysidro
LOL! Dude, are you going old school or what?...
Originally Posted by vishnus11
...I love the JDM Opitron cluster...
Originally Posted by teekay3001
LoL....U KNOW...those jdm clusters are in no way tight at all...plain and simple they are extremely ugly...
LOL!...it's nice to see a colorful array of opinions about this cluster. I have to defend the cluster, though...

Everyone has opinions on what's nice and what's not, that's all good and it's interesting to hear them. But, saying that this cluster is 'old school' is definitely going in the wrong direction. This is the lastest/newest cluster for the 1st gen TL. It's the type (optitron/auto illuminated)that you see on most newer high grade luxury cars from makers such as Lexus, Acura, Benz, Merc, Toyota... Everyone that talks about doing an L.E.D. mod to their instrument cluster is basically trying to get this look (brighter, sharper markings/numbers). This cluster is simply one step up from those mod's. It gives you the clearer markings/numbers and makes the needles look 'detached' from the cluster by use of the smoked plastic cover and perfectly matched black colors on the cluster face and needle bodies that are implimented on these types of clusters.

It's all good, though. Ya can't please everyone, and if your doing mod's to please 'the crowd' rather than yourself, you're doing mod's for the wrong reason....that's MY 's

Hopefully, someone can supply you with wiring diagrams for a USDM cluster...
Actually, I just got the pin-outs for both the USDM 2.5 and 3.2 from a different forum (a non-TL forum, at that...I was a bit surprised that the info came from a non-TL forum before it came from a TL forum). I am about to go to my other apartment to compare them, right now. I see that the pin count of the couplers for both the USDM 2.5 AND 3.2 are exactly the same as for the JDM non-optitron 2.5, so that is promising...like I said, I've gotten it wired to work with a JDM 2.5 Inspire, already. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that the pin-out is the same for JDM and USDM....

Originally Posted by Ysidro
When I look at it I alrready see a problem in hooking it up.
The milege part is digital. ours is mechanical.
How would the odometer work. Say my car displays "152000" on the analog meter it has right now. If I were to connect the optitron to it, what would the digital odo say. I know on newer Honda/Acuras the odo reading is stored in the ECU, but I'm not sure how it is with first gen TL's...
Actually, the USDM clusters are mechanical 'display' but are still electronic as is the JDM cluster. The only part that is digital about the JDM cluster is the display. They both get the signals from the odometer/trip meter inside of the cluster which in-turn gets it's info via pulses received from the vss(It could be from the ecu or atm control but that's all unimportant as they get the pulse from a single 'sense' wire that goes to the back of the cluster and is noted on all pin-out's/diagrams). I'm pretty sure that the kilometerage (versus mileage) is remembered inside of the odometer, rather than the ECU. But I will have to verify this over the weekend. So, if that is true, the reading that would be shown when installed in a different vehicle would be what is seen in the pic (112,154km's=69,689miles).
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'd recommend an Acura shop manual for the TL. I'm quite certain someone here will have the pertinent pages, just wait a few days for them to post it.

Good luck, thats a very cool mod
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'd recommend an Acura shop manual for the TL. I'm quite certain someone here will have the pertinent pages, just wait a few days for them to post it.

Good luck, thats a very cool mod
The pin-out that I received on a different forum has given me all the info that I need, now. It would seem that the non-optitron JDM wiring is the same as the USDM wiring with only a couple of differences. I will be testing my adapter harness, tomorrow. I think it's going to work perfectly.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
大日本帝国

Good luck with it!!

~Cheers~
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Htown slab rider

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Emsimdj
LOL!...it's nice to see a colorful array of opinions about this cluster. I have to defend the cluster, though...

Everyone has opinions on what's nice and what's not, that's all good and it's interesting to hear them. But, saying that this cluster is 'old school' is definitely going in the wrong direction. This is the lastest/newest cluster for the 1st gen TL. It's the type (optitron/auto illuminated)that you see on most newer high grade luxury cars from makers such as Lexus, Acura, Benz, Merc, Toyota... Everyone that talks about doing an L.E.D. mod to their instrument cluster is basically trying to get this look (brighter, sharper markings/numbers). This cluster is simply one step up from those mod's. It gives you the clearer markings/numbers and makes the needles look 'detached' from the cluster by use of the smoked plastic cover and perfectly matched black colors on the cluster face and needle bodies that are implimented on these types of clusters.

It's all good, though. Ya can't please everyone, and if your doing mod's to please 'the crowd' rather than yourself, you're doing mod's for the wrong reason....that's MY 's

Actually, I just got the pin-outs for both the USDM 2.5 and 3.2 from a different forum (a non-TL forum, at that...I was a bit surprised that the info came from a non-TL forum before it came from a TL forum). I am about to go to my other apartment to compare them, right now. I see that the pin count of the couplers for both the USDM 2.5 AND 3.2 are exactly the same as for the JDM non-optitron 2.5, so that is promising...like I said, I've gotten it wired to work with a JDM 2.5 Inspire, already. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that the pin-out is the same for JDM and USDM....

Actually, the USDM clusters are mechanical 'display' but are still electronic as is the JDM cluster. The only part that is digital about the JDM cluster is the display. They both get the signals from the odometer/trip meter inside of the cluster which in-turn gets it's info via pulses received from the vss(It could be from the ecu or atm control but that's all unimportant as they get the pulse from a single 'sense' wire that goes to the back of the cluster and is noted on all pin-out's/diagrams). I'm pretty sure that the kilometerage (versus mileage) is remembered inside of the odometer, rather than the ECU. But I will have to verify this over the weekend. So, if that is true, the reading that would be shown when installed in a different vehicle would be what is seen in the pic (112,154km's=69,689miles).
thats real talk, i like the look to keep it jdm, i'm not satisfied with the factory ones , the 06 rl guages do our car more justice but i just cant find a replica of it.....
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I didn't know you 2.5 people don't have the door indicators that tell you which door on the car is open
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
大日本帝国

Emsimdj, PM me please.

~Cheers~

P.S. Desired, Happy belated birthday!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! I'm finally 16! haha
Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 AM
9th Gear

Emsimdj, PM me please.

~Cheers~

I don't know why, but for some reason, I'm not allowed to send PM's. Email me directly at plageman-46@ii-okinawa.ne.jp
Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I don't know why, but for some reason, I'm not allowed to send PM's. Email me directly at plageman-46@ii-okinawa.ne.jp
We've had a lot of spam problems so we require a minimum number of posts before we allow PM's. Sorry.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
We've had a lot of spam problems so we require a minimum number of posts before we allow PM's. Sorry.
I figured that's what the problem was, but I couldn't find anything referring to that in the FAQ so I wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Oh, by the way...a quick update on the cluster:

I made an adapter harness so that it is plug and play. It snaps right into the USDM couplers (3 couplers + SRS coupler). It works like a charm. I'm actually pretty proud of this modification. It's has taken me (literally...no joking) about 24 man hours (actual labor time) to simply compare the wiring diagrams for JDM and USDM and then make the adapter harness...I'll get pics out as soon as I get the time.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Racer

In light of this topic Id like to bring these to everyones attention.
What do you guys think of these light up pins.

look here

hey Emsimdj, no problem man. Its all good.
Anyway, I think these pin will spruce up your JDN cluster, what do you think?

Anyone think it'll be easy to mod?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Htown slab rider

thats a hell of a needle kit on the blue one, i absolutely love the look
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
9th Gear

OK, it's in working condition. I'm going make a write-up for peoples who may be intersted in doing this mod to thier own cars. It will basically consist of the wiring that needs to be changed. Going as far as far as I did with the adapter harness is not necessary, but makes it nice if you ever want to re-sell or just go back to you old cluster for whatever reason. As soon as I get an extra hour or two, it'll be out...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:03 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks dood!!!

Thanks a million man. I searched before I bought this from you on ebay and saw this add. Now looking at your user name I know who it is. haha

Anyhow, this mod works great. I didnt even have to mess with that constant 12v fused wire. It all works like a charm with it just set aside. Id assume it may be something for the airbag shit? Who knows most airbag stuff has the yellow plugs, I thought the green plugs were for transmission stuff.

Either way this adapted it right into my car and was plug and play. It only took me like 20 seconds to plug it in.

Id suggest this for ANYONE on this board to do. It may look nightrider,. but once its in the car, the stock stuff looks like garbage compared to the optitron stuff. Its just like the 04 rl gauges almost, they worked the same way in my parents rl.

I am curious to find a entire front doghouse cut from a tl complete with the cross member and steering rack. Id like to swap firewalls and dashes and put in the rhd parts perhaps.

I also am in search of a 95 legend manual trans if ANYONE on here has any ideas where to look.

Thanks for your help dude, and i vouch for his items to anyone on this forum. A++ DUDE WITH A++ STUFF.

p.s. that access deck spoiler looks killer also.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Advanced

Did anyone give any thought as to figuring out the driving speed as the JDM cluster is only in Km/h and still off!!!! Unless I'm missing something here, in my opinion real dumb move sorry to say.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bat-on
Did anyone give any thought as to figuring out the driving speed as the JDM cluster is only in Km/h and still off!!!! Unless I'm missing something here, in my opinion real dumb move sorry to say.
NOW I know why my mom always taught me to think before I opened my trap....
Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

where can i get that optitron cluster i want it so bad lol
Old 04-01-2007, 11:21 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 96teeluxury
where can i get that optitron cluster i want it so bad lol

my friend emsimdj could prolly find you one... gonna cost you though
Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Colt45
my friend emsimdj could prolly find you one... gonna cost you though
give me a number, because it's either this or buy inspire tails
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced

NOW I know why my mom always taught me to think before I opened my trap....
I did think and from what I understand the cluster should have a top speed indicating 260Km/h to match the 160Mp/h stock cluster and speed. So if you have another explanation please enlighten me! LOL
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bat-on
I did think and from what I understand the cluster should have a top speed indicating 260Km/h to match the 160Mp/h stock cluster and speed. So if you have another explanation please enlighten me! LOL
nevermind dude.

Clearly this modification is not for you.

If we locate a gold dipped one that goes to 300 mph we will let you know.

later
Old 04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Advanced

I see ur point Km/h is accurate (gotta drive 104Km/h to equal 65Mp/h.) You either gotta have excellent math skills to convert when you see posted speed limits such as 45, 35, 15, 55, 25 Mp/h to Km/h (unless u like paying for tickets) or a little conversion chart next to the clusters bro!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Htown slab rider

The cluster looks so much better installed, everythings better in asia and cheaper i heard that thier version of our cars have built in navigation...lol...anyways i like the cluster , didnt before but do now that i see it installed

Oh yeah....still looking for a 3.2TL GRILL TRIM
Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone got a pic of this optitron cluster?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
clot45 he bought it from him