I Rewired My Fog Light To Accept Regular H3 (hyperwhite) Bulbs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I Rewired My Fog Light To Accept Regular H3 (hyperwhite) Bulbs!

Our first generation TL's (at least I can speak about 2.5's) have fogs that accept H3C bulbs. The problem is that no one sells H3C Hyper-whites or any other higher end aftermarket bulb. So I combatted this problem by re-wiring the fog lights. IT'S SO EASY! I by no means am a pro or an inteligent electrical person. Heres the deal:

1) Our plug configuration is a simple 2-prong plug with one "female" plug being a ground and the other being the hot one the one that has the juice).

2) Buy a set (two bulbs) of H4 Hyperwhites for your headlights, two 7660's for the blinkers and two sets of 194's (peanut-sized bulbs) for all other marking lights such as the parking and corners.

3) Then buy a set (two bulbs) of H3 Hyper-whites. (Remember, H3C's are hard to come by, other than regular OEM's) Each bulb will have one wire that extend from the end.

4) Plug this wire (with the "male" end into the hot "female" side of the plug on your car. I believe the wire that leads to this side of the plug is red. If you don't see a red wire, it's the one that is not black.

5) The you'll need a heat resistant wire to plug into the other side (ground) to affix (screw) onto a metal part of the headlight fixture or another part of the car. Remember, this is simply a ground. Not knowing where to find heat resistant wire, I bought a cheap set of OEM H3's and cut the wire off of it that would have been used as the "hot" wire for an H3 plug.

6) After cutting those two wires off of the new OEM H3 set, I inserted the flat end into the other side of the plug on my car. Then I attathed an "O"-crimp to the cut end and screwed it into a metal pert of the housing so the bulb would be grounded.

7) Almost done... Then, I cut the rubber boots that fit over the housing to prevent water from seaping into the headlight. It's too hard to try to explain, but trust me, you'll figure it out. When cutting, the key is to not over-cut because you want it to wrap snugly around the plug. Actually, because of this, I recomend you do this step first so you can put the female plug into the cutout opening of the boot. It'll make life easier.

Now, after doing this, I have Hyper-whites in the headlights and fog's. Matching Hyper-whites in all other accesory/blinkers. Having clear corners, they look real good. Without doing this, my fog's would've burned a nasty OEM yellow while my new headlights burned bleach white.

I recomend the brand Cujo or Cuso...something like that. (Do a search online) They're kinda expensive, but they truely burn a bleach white, with a touch of blue. (Real nice) I initially bought APC brand and they absolutely sucked. APC uses painted or tinted glass on their accesory bulbs, resulting in them burning a bright, nasty blue. This brand's accesory bulb is made of blue glass, according to my local speed shop.

Costs:
H4 hyper-whites---$24.95/set (1 set needed)
H3 hyper-whites---$24.95/set (1 set needed)
7660 hyper-whites---$8.00/set (1 set needed)
194 hyperwhites---$8.00/set (2 sets needed)
H3 OEM bulbs for use of their wires---$6.00/set (1 set needed)

PS...with a little cutting of the plastic housing around the bulbs that shine on your rear license plate, you can install two (one set)194 Hyper-whites for a nice look. I did mine and it's so much better looking. (Bleach white rather than that dingy, piss yellow)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Conteez
mcontes@hotmail.com
Old 04-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Instructor

take pics dude, that sounds cool, but it doesn't sound as easy as you say "IT'S SO EASY"
Old 04-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

its really easy, i think it took me like 5 minutes when i had hyperwhites in the car all your doing is making a ground because the H3 doesnt have one ( thats a wire) so you run a wire from the ground(neg) side of the plug to a ground(i used a screw inside the fog hole, right near wehre the fog goes)

sounds more complicated than it really is

if your still having problems i cna take a pic of the screw i used
Old 04-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

why would I want HW fog lights if in fog I want low-intensity amberish-yellowish light that won't bounce back...?

I guess for looks it's cool and all, but for functionality...?

but hey, If you like it... I dig it.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Instructor

you are right, yellow are better for fogs, but fogs are not really that bright and useful, so it's just for looks

btw, how do u guys remove to parking light beside the headlight, i changed the H4, now i just need the parking light beside that

i read somewhere that it's easy to drop the bulb and loss it in the bumper, what can i do to prevent this. the hole is very small to reach into the parking light.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Hi everyone,

Your not changing the fog's purpose (or the way it shines), simply the color of the fog. I removed my yellow "condom" thing inside my fog light assembly because I didn't like the yellow look. You can still change to a Hyperwhite or any other higher-end bulb for more light output. More light output, regardless of whether it's a fog= better visibilty. Right? Thats my way of thinking. Good luck!

Conteez
Old 04-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Pro

I Rewired My Fog Light To Accept Regular H3 (hyperwhite) Bulbs!
DONE IT - LONG TIME AGO
Old 04-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Instructor

i have a question, what voltage H3 bulbs did you use? will it pop very often just like any other aftermarket bulb b/c it's stronger than stock? will it melt anything? i will try this soon and let everyone know. i am thinking of totally removing my parking lights beside the headlight, they are useless anyway, and i'll let u guys know how it looks.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had hyperwhites in the corners (parking lights). It looked better becasue it made the headlight look larger, and wrap around the car a bit.

Craig
Old 04-14-2003, 03:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

i dont know if its just me but i when i did a while back i got the same brand of h3 and h4 bulbs yet they still didnt match.

whoever has done this mod, do your h3's and h4's match?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Instructor

madgreek, hey what watt are your h3c fogs? im gonna put some on today, will let u know if it matches.

and what brand of cone filter did you use, hows the change in sound?

this is my problem, my headlight seems to have lost the ability the change from high beem to low beem. and after driving for a while, if i switch the high beem, the light completely goes off. low beem stays on fine. does anyone know what's wrong?

here is the picture, the 2 H3 and H4 are not really matching for me too.