How to replace air bags AND cost???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:00 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to replace air bags AND cost???

I'm going to check out a 1997 Acura TL 3.2 today. It checks out mechanically with AAA diagnostic services, BUT
(1) It has a salvage title
(2) The air bags have been deployed (long ago, currently at 90,000, deployed at ~25,000)

My question is, how much would it cost to replace the air bags and is it a job that I could do? I'm somewhat mechanically inclided, I've removed and replaced airbags on my old 1995 VW Passat, seemed VERY easy.

Also, what do you think this acura is worth? The blue book value is $8300 (fair condition).
The only problems that AAA diagnostic found were the air bags and a salvage title (from airbag deployment at 25,000 miles).

Thanks for the help!
jbrams

ps - fast answers are appreciated, I'll be looking at the car soon =)
Old 11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Salvage title would make the car lose a lot of value. I wouldn't pay over 3,000.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:23 AM
5th Gear

I agree, 3000 - 4000 for a salvaged title with no bags. Car was in a nice lttle acident then repaired. Bag are very $$$, install is easy. I wouldn't worry about the bags spend it somewhere else..
Old 11-11-2004, 12:06 PM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to replacing airbags, replace all the sensors and airbag system components to make sure your new airbags really do deploy if you happen to get into an accident again.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for all the replies, please keep the advice coming =)
I'm going to look at the car right now =)

The seller is asking for $5750 (hopefully I can talk him down a bit, probably not less than $5000). It seems like this is a good price even compared with other salvaged TLs in the area (SF Bay area and North Bay - Sonoma county). The low miles are very appealing and the air bags are not a big deal to me (I'll replace other normal maintenance stuff first like all filters and fluids and easy to replace sensors . . . any tips here?). If it checks out with my mechanic and drives well I think I'd jump for $5000-$5300 or so . . . I guess we'll soon see. I'll take some pics while I'm driving it for you all to look at, just because pics are alway fun, eh?

Keep the advice coming, I might get to check this thread while the mechanic is checking out the car =)

Thanks,
jbrams
Originally Posted by wickeddesigns
I agree, 3000 - 4000 for a salvaged title with no bags. Car was in a nice lttle acident then repaired. Bag are very $$$, install is easy. I wouldn't worry about the bags spend it somewhere else..
Old 11-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since the car has a salvage title, make sure it doesn't have any frame damage thats been covered up. I used to have a 94 civic (salvaged) and it turned out that the frame was bent outta shape. Just my $0.02.

Good luck, and do your best to get it below 5K - i really dont think you should pay more than that. Oh BTW, I've seen first gen tl airbags on ebay before - i seem to remember a set of 2 for less than 300, dunno was a while ago?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
8th Gear

So I went to drive the car and took it to my mechanic (trusty guy, long time customer).
The report from the mechanic is that the car is in great shape! Confirms that the timing belt was done VERY recently. Compression is even, fresh tires, ATF is in good shape, oil is fine (no smells for shavings), CV boots are all intact, etc. The drive was GREAT, these cars are FAST and strong, I was very impressed. Ran totally smooth, brakes easily. Didn't pull in either direction. After the recent rain it was all too easy to squeak the tires coming away from a red light (much stronger than my previous cars). The mechanic said it's a good buy and the feel of the drive was good as far as I could tell.

The bad (which is not much):
-rear brakes will need to be replaced in the next few thousand miles.
-The dash is imperfect (kinda peeling?) from when the airbag deployed.
-The clear coat is starting to peel between the front of the sunroof and the front windshield (nothing serious, just a cosmetic detail).
-Not suprisingly, the D4 light is out =)

They have a few other people intersted in the car (actually, one guy arrived there at the same time I returned from the mechanic (he's not buying today he said). I told them that I need to think about it and the wife (who's selling the car in since the husband in away on business trip) said that it's just first come (to the door with the cashiers check) first serve.

I'm gonna jump on this if I can get it for $5500, I'm first trying to sell my 1995 VW Passat tonight, it's been great to drive but it's not dependable enough for me (and repairs/parts are NOT cheap).

Thanks for all the help, I'll certainly keep this updated and I'll be back for much more if I do in fact buy this TL.
jbrams

Originally Posted by vishnus11
since the car has a salvage title, make sure it doesn't have any frame damage thats been covered up. I used to have a 94 civic (salvaged) and it turned out that the frame was bent outta shape. Just my $0.02.

Good luck, and do your best to get it below 5K - i really dont think you should pay more than that. Oh BTW, I've seen first gen tl airbags on ebay before - i seem to remember a set of 2 for less than 300, dunno was a while ago?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:03 AM
8th Gear

Still am wondering what the cost of replacing the air bags would be . . . thanks!
Abe
Old 11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrams
Still am wondering what the cost of replacing the air bags would be . . . thanks!
Abe
probably about $300 to $400 just for the bags...not sure about sensors. Heres a link on ebay...unfortunately the guy's only selling the driver's bag

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW