How Often do you wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:44 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Often do you wash your car?

I wash mine every 3-4 days, then take it out for a quick spin to get rid of the heavy water on the car, then I dry it... then wax (every other time) then rims...then tires, maybe windows (invisible glass lasts...)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2-3 times a week. Saturday or Sunday is thorough cleaning and interior cleaning day. Will take it to coin wash and spray it down and dry it if it gets bird poop or rain spots on the way home form g/f's usually a couple nights a week. Only takes 10 mintues to keep the car clean and I never use the brush at the coin wash. Just wash, rinse throw on the spray wax then dry it. (unless it's really dirty then hand wash at home). Car is prety much always clean.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to wash it at least once a week.

Now it has only been washed about once in the last month.

But it will get washed again soon, now that my big project is done.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJBLAST
I wash mine every 3-4 days, then take it out for a quick spin to get rid of the heavy water on the car, then I dry it... then wax (every other time) then rims...then tires, maybe windows (invisible glass lasts...)

Wow... just wow. Do you want to kill your car's paint job or something?

Problem 1:
You drive a wet car and then dry it? Driving a wet car around allows all the dust and dirt on the air (which you can't see) to go back on your car. And then when you dry it, you're creating microscopic scratches. You can't see it, but slowly it'll kill your nice, clean paint job.

Problem 2:
Wax takes off a thin layer (an almost dismissable amount) of clear coat. There's a reason why most brands of wax recommend using it no more than 4 times, annually. At this rate your layer of clear coat will be gone in a year, two, if you're lucky.

I wash my car once every week or two, ONLY hand wash. Those automatic washes leave dirt on your car (wash your car there, dry it with a white cottne towel and see for yourself). If you don't use a mitt of somekind, you're most likely leaving some form of dirt/grime on your car.

I do a full treatment (wash, clay, polish, pre-wax, wax) two times a year (every 6 months). And in between the full treatment, I just put on a new layer of wax so in total, I wax 4 times a year.

Geez, some people just don't get the whole waxing thing. You might as well not wash you car.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Once every two weeks if possible, been so busy with school and work.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

damn, once a month for me. I have no time to wash my car as often as you folks.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 AM
TotaLy LeO

Talking

responding to your intiatl question, probaly twice a week, do loads of freeway driving and just don't like the apperance after a few days....anal but the car looks great... ther is always a trade off.....
Old 07-21-2005, 01:15 AM
TotaLy LeO

Talking

responding to your inital question, probaly twice a week, do loads of freeway driving and just don't like the apperance after a few days....anal but the car looks great... there is always a trade off.....
Old 07-21-2005, 01:44 AM
'97 2.5TL Premium

Once a month if I feel up to it. I'm planning to wash and wax this weekend or maybe tomorrow. I also have to do my interior and clean the glass on the inside and outside.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Banned

once every two weeks or so. But it's always kept clean inside n out.....
Old 07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by Vincent

Wow... just wow. Do you want to kill your car's paint job or something?

Problem 1:
You drive a wet car and then dry it? Driving a wet car around allows all the dust and dirt on the air (which you can't see) to go back on your car. And then when you dry it, you're creating microscopic scratches. You can't see it, but slowly it'll kill your nice, clean paint job.

Problem 2:
Wax takes off a thin layer (an almost dismissable amount) of clear coat. There's a reason why most brands of wax recommend using it no more than 4 times, annually. At this rate your layer of clear coat will be gone in a year, two, if you're lucky.

I wash my car once every week or two, ONLY hand wash. Those automatic washes leave dirt on your car (wash your car there, dry it with a white cottne towel and see for yourself). If you don't use a mitt of somekind, you're most likely leaving some form of dirt/grime on your car.

I do a full treatment (wash, clay, polish, pre-wax, wax) two times a year (every 6 months). And in between the full treatment, I just put on a new layer of wax so in total, I wax 4 times a year.

Geez, some people just don't get the whole waxing thing. You might as well not wash you car.

Ok, maybe the driving around thing is probbably a mistake, but what about the wax? It says clear coat safe...the towels I use are scratch free, especialy for car-drying, so why cant I wax and dry again?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered Driver

Wax does not remove clear coat.

Polish does.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
twice a week inside n out
Old 07-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Weekly... Every Friday, Saturday, or Sunday... depending when I have time but it has to be one of those days...
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Washing a car is like an art, or a profession. Most people dont understand the difference between dish soap and car soap. Thanks god, however, the members of this forum know how to take care of their babies. Well I have owned a car since I was 16, and have loved every hour minute and second of cleaning it. On average, I wash my car once or twice every two weeks, nothing but a basic wash and vaccum. Once a month or more often I go all out. It usually takes me a good three hours, but every square inch of the car is detailed.

It goes like this:
1. Wash x2-use a soft sheeps wool mit and rinse the mit after each section of the car(don't want to risk dust in the mit scratching the car.)... I scrub every square inch of the body, windows, and clean the tires, wheels, and fender wells with tire cleaner.

2. Dry using a gas powered leaf blower.... Believe it or not it works well, and only takes about 3 minutes-

3. Generally I apply a coat of cleaner wax to the car using a high speed buffer, then remove the wax with a soft microfiber cloth, if unavailable a old soft t-shirt works well. (never apply in the sun and always allow the wax to haze but not for too long as you will have nasty marks on the car that are incredibly hard to buff out.

4. Step 4 is usually another 2x coats of high gloss wax- apply with buffer, same steps as above- by now the paint is ridiculously shiny-looks like a mirror.

5. With all this glossy paint it is best to get about 6 or 7 soft clothes and detail all the trim. I use meguiars back to black on all black plastic and rubber to bring out a shine, and protect it from future abuse....chrome polish on all the chrome (yes logos, and the grill, and the trim around windows)...finally use a soft cloth buff any residue or imperfections out of the car.

6.Final touches!!! Tire shine(the wipe on kind) only because it sticks better, looks better, and wont fling up all over your fender when you drive... Window get fully cleaned inside and out, and headlight and mirrors get buffed to perfection...bug and tar on the bumper and mirrors.

7. Interior(to be short) consists of a deep thorough vaccuming, cleaning all seats w/leather cleaner, then conditioner, I also armor all every piece of plastic and vinyl and follow up with a tooth pick to get all the dust and dirt out of the cracks and crevices.......

SORRY GUYS IM REALLY BORED AT WORK... haha maybe this ritual will give you guys some ideas thoug!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Ak Ting Up

I wash it when its dirty. Lately, its been raining every day so the past two weeks I've washed the car 5 times.

I wax once a month. Wax safe for clear coat DOES NOT hurt your paint finish. As long as you'll apply it to a cool car and let it dry you be fine. My last car had a like new shine when I gave it away, 13 years after purchase, and I used every clear coat safe wax on it. I also waxed it at least once a month.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Every week or two. My Acura dealer gives free car washs to anyone that bought their car there. The car wash is less than two years old, it does a great job.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by ljmushock
Washing a car is like an art, or a profession. Most people dont understand the difference between dish soap and car soap. Thanks god, however, the members of this forum know how to take care of their babies. Well I have owned a car since I was 16, and have loved every hour minute and second of cleaning it. On average, I wash my car once or twice every two weeks, nothing but a basic wash and vaccum. Once a month or more often I go all out. It usually takes me a good three hours, but every square inch of the car is detailed.

It goes like this:
1. Wash x2-use a soft sheeps wool mit and rinse the mit after each section of the car(don't want to risk dust in the mit scratching the car.)... I scrub every square inch of the body, windows, and clean the tires, wheels, and fender wells with tire cleaner.

2. Dry using a gas powered leaf blower.... Believe it or not it works well, and only takes about 3 minutes-

3. Generally I apply a coat of cleaner wax to the car using a high speed buffer, then remove the wax with a soft microfiber cloth, if unavailable a old soft t-shirt works well. (never apply in the sun and always allow the wax to haze but not for too long as you will have nasty marks on the car that are incredibly hard to buff out.

4. Step 4 is usually another 2x coats of high gloss wax- apply with buffer, same steps as above- by now the paint is ridiculously shiny-looks like a mirror.

5. With all this glossy paint it is best to get about 6 or 7 soft clothes and detail all the trim. I use meguiars back to black on all black plastic and rubber to bring out a shine, and protect it from future abuse....chrome polish on all the chrome (yes logos, and the grill, and the trim around windows)...finally use a soft cloth buff any residue or imperfections out of the car.

6.Final touches!!! Tire shine(the wipe on kind) only because it sticks better, looks better, and wont fling up all over your fender when you drive... Window get fully cleaned inside and out, and headlight and mirrors get buffed to perfection...bug and tar on the bumper and mirrors.

7. Interior(to be short) consists of a deep thorough vaccuming, cleaning all seats w/leather cleaner, then conditioner, I also armor all every piece of plastic and vinyl and follow up with a tooth pick to get all the dust and dirt out of the cracks and crevices.......

SORRY GUYS IM REALLY BORED AT WORK... haha maybe this ritual will give you guys some ideas thoug!!!

Damn, and I thought I washed my car good... nice, man nice.

quick question... if you leave wax on a car ... un polished...does it stain your paint?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro

wash my car every week or every few days depends on if i have time for it and if its dirty enough or not...hahaha...but its almost about every week...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

In my experiences, the only rules with wax are: Dont apply in the sun, It will bake onto your car, and you will have to rub so much to get the haze out that it will take away the shine....Best place to apply wax is in the shade or in a garage where it is cool and will be unaffected by the sun...I have however, applied wax in the garage to my entire hood, gone upstairs for 30 minutes, and had to spend 2 hrs getting the haziness out...I think it's virtually impossible to stain the paint with wax...If you do get a haziness, try using a tad bit of water, it will help your arm in the long run...I have a high speed buffer though... everybody should invest in one...takes me 15 min to apply an entire coat over car and remove!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
2003 Acura MDX

In my experiences, the only rules with wax are: Dont apply in the sun, It will bake onto your car, and you will have to rub so much to get the haze out that it will take away the shine....Best place to apply wax is in the shade or in a garage where it is cool and will be unaffected by the sun...I have however, applied wax in the garage to my entire hood, gone upstairs for 30 minutes, and had to spend 2 hrs getting the haziness out...I think it's virtually impossible to stain the paint with wax...If you do get a haziness, try using a tad bit of water, it will help your arm in the long run...I have a high speed buffer though... everybody should invest in one...takes me 15 min to apply an entire coat over car and remove!

thnx 4 the help... im thinking about getting a buffer thing...then when I think about it...seems like a waste of money, im fine with the spray wax and the wipe down...smells good too.. I Do want to try the mr.clean auto wash thing...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

MR clean works like a dream...I would reccomend to all... You can wash your car, and leave it to dry..I like watching it dry though...It leaves not one single spot and its real easy to use..can wash a car in like 10 minutes with it...ONLY thing I dont like about spray wax...and whats beneficial about the buffer is that it applies more pressure onto the car and allows the wax to really work its way into all the microscopic crevices and lines in your clear coat...With spray wax, you are basically spraying on a thin, uneven coat of clear liquid that makes the paint look shiny...To preserve your paint for years, nothing beats a good buffer. I picked mine up of ebay for 20 bucks! only downside is if your lazy and dont want to clean the used pads a new pack of three is like 6 bucks.(DONE with my little speal)
Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 PM
2003 Acura MDX

MR clean works like a dream...I would reccomend to all... You can wash your car, and leave it to dry..I like watching it dry though...It leaves not one single spot and its real easy to use..can wash a car in like 10 minutes with it...ONLY thing I dont like about spray wax...and whats beneficial about the buffer is that it applies more pressure onto the car and allows the wax to really work its way into all the microscopic crevices and lines in your clear coat...With spray wax, you are basically spraying on a thin, uneven coat of clear liquid that makes the paint look shiny...To preserve your paint for years, nothing beats a good buffer. I picked mine up of ebay for 20 bucks! only downside is if your lazy and dont want to clean the used pads a new pack of three is like 6 bucks.(DONE with my little speal)
Dude, im buying mr.clean...you sold me.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vincent
Problem 2:

Wax does not take clear coat off at all. The only type of wax in general that has the ability to take anything off is those cleaner wax, designed to be a one step product to help remove blemishes. Basically for the people who do not have time to clean, polish, and wax.

Even then, your typcial cleaner wax does not have the abrasives to take off the clearcoat. It's not until you actually step up to a cleaner/polish that actually cuts into the paint. Otherwise, wax is a good thing. Your clearcoat is harder than that.

I do not know of any brand that recommend less than four applications per year. Infact, most manufactor would encourage you to use wax more often for protection. Been waxing almost every 2 weeks for years. Clearcoat hasn't gone anywhere.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by GSteg
Wax does not take clear coat off at all. The only type of wax in general that has the ability to take anything off is those cleaner wax, designed to be a one step product to help remove blemishes. Basically for the people who do not have time to clean, polish, and wax.

Even then, your typcial cleaner wax does not have the abrasives to take off the clearcoat. It's not until you actually step up to a cleaner/polish that actually cuts into the paint. Otherwise, wax is a good thing. Your clearcoat is harder than that.

I do not know of any brand that recommend less than four applications per year. Infact, most manufactor would encourage you to use wax more often for protection. Been waxing almost every 2 weeks for years. Clearcoat hasn't gone anywhere.

same, I wax every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks
Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

I hope you guys check out the Wash/Wax detail forum on this site. A LOT of good advice on products and tips on application.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by GSteg

you need to finish detailing my car...

I use to wash my car 1-2 times a week. But now my car hasn't been washed in like 3 weeks
Old 07-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mr. Clean = AWESOME (Been using it since it came out)
As for the waxing and removing clearcoat, etc. etc. OK, here's the downa and dirty. Applying a coat of PURE Carnuba wax BY ITSELF is not going to remove clearcoat. IF you are using a CLEANER wax, then YES you are polishing the paint, which in turn is going to remove some of it. You can WAX your car as often as you would like and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS ....SO long as you use the right product.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:37 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by Cornflake
Mr. Clean = AWESOME (Been using it since it came out)
As for the waxing and removing clearcoat, etc. etc. OK, here's the downa and dirty. Applying a coat of PURE Carnuba wax BY ITSELF is not going to remove clearcoat. IF you are using a CLEANER wax, then YES you are polishing the paint, which in turn is going to remove some of it. You can WAX your car as often as you would like and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS ....SO long as you use the right product.

Meguiars NZXT Wax - Is it the cleaning wax?