Help with my new 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with my new 2.5

Well, just picked up the new car this morning, and need some help with stuff, yup, already.

First thing, is that the front O2 sensor failed a couple days ago, but its under warantee, so they are replacing it, and getting it re-inspected. I don't know if its just me, but it seems to drive a little bit worse now then I remember.

The back windows I was wondering if they are supposed to go all the way down or not. They go down straight most of the way, and then tilt almost like they are off the track, but they both do it at the same spot. I dont think they are supposed to go all the way down, judging by the shape of the door.

The rear driver side door lock makes a horrible noize (buzzing almost) whenever the doors are locked, from the front or outside. Sometimes just once, sometimes a few times, sometimes more. What would be the cause of this?

I only got the valet key, it wont lock the gas cap/trunk. How hard is it to get a master copy, since I am the second owner, and will it cost me anything?

I think thats about it right now, picked up some leather cleaner/conditioner and gonna have my sister show me the best way to go about using it, and the rest is all general cosmetic stuff.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, Unsane. I owned a 2.5 for 4 years.

1st, the back windows are operating properly. They 'tilt' at the end of their travel down.

2nd, I believe a new master key will cost you $50 to $75. You need to go to your Acura Dealer and get a new one cut

3rd, my gas cap, (factory) didn't lock. only the gas door.

4th, your power locks should be relatively quiet.

5th, there is a emissions recall for that model (96 and 97). They will replace the spark plug wires and in my case the exhaust manifold (cracked). The dealer replaced everything that was broke dealing with the emissions free. I had this done at 128,000 miles. They can run your VIN and tell if the emission recall was performed on your car.

Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered Driver

Ah i meant the gas door. It just doesnt do anything when you stick it into the lock on the trunk/gas door release thing near your feet.

I'm going to ask the dealership to get the lock fixed when I bring it back for the O2 sensor, its horrible annoying, never thought to lock all the doors durring my test drive, or lock it when I brought it back to the dealer.

I'll have them run that check on the plugs/wires, thanks for the heads up. I'm at 125,000 miles right now, not too bad.

Need to have the transmission flushed too, have no idea when it was last done, so it can't hurt to have it done, any idea on the price for that?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Ah i meant the gas door. It just doesnt do anything when you stick it into the lock on the trunk/gas door release thing near your feet.

I'm going to ask the dealership to get the lock fixed when I bring it back for the O2 sensor, its horrible annoying, never thought to lock all the doors durring my test drive, or lock it when I brought it back to the dealer.

I'll have them run that check on the plugs/wires, thanks for the heads up. I'm at 125,000 miles right now, not too bad.

Need to have the transmission flushed too, have no idea when it was last done, so it can't hurt to have it done, any idea on the price for that?
The lock accepts ONLY the Master key, not the valet key.

Thats why it doesnt do anything. That way you can lock the glovebox and trunk.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Registered Driver

Yeah, I know, the only key that I got when I bought it isn't the master key, its the valet key. It's not a huge deal to me, I'm only 17, don't hang around anyplace with valet parking, but it would be a nice little feature and make things feel a bit more complete.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know, the only key that I got when I bought it isn't the master key, its the valet key. It's not a huge deal to me, I'm only 17, don't hang around anyplace with valet parking, but it would be a nice little feature and make things feel a bit more complete.
Definitely ask the dealership for one. Its a good idea no matter what.

Enjoy your ride
Old 08-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered Driver

Haha, I've been enjoying it today Waiting though, for transmission fluid change, and the O2 sensor to get fixed, I figure things will go a tad bit smoother then. I think tomorrow if I have time, I am going to fix the front windows.

It sound's and drives a lot different from my old car too, but a lot closer then other stuff (Camry, Ultima, crap boxes ) that I test drove.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, when on O2 sensor goes out, it totally goofs with the engine's computer, making performance far worse.

It basically goes into a safe mode, reducing performance drastically.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
50-75 bucks?
they made a copy of my master key for 4 bucks.... and it locks everything too >_>;
Old 08-14-2004, 08:14 PM
LDH
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demons rage
50-75 bucks?
they made a copy of my master key for 4 bucks.... and it locks everything too >_>;
at a dealership? which dealership? i need a new master key...did you have them copy it or cut a new one by your vin number?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 PM
LDH
I

Haha, I've been enjoying it today Waiting though, for transmission fluid change, and the O2 sensor to get fixed, I figure things will go a tad bit smoother then. I think tomorrow if I have time, I am going to fix the front windows.

It sound's and drives a lot different from my old car too, but a lot closer then other stuff (Camry, Ultima, crap boxes ) that I test drove.
whats wrong with the front windows? for the door buzzing it is the lock actuator most of the time it is because the rubber seals get worn out so the actuator keeps on turning and doesnt stop.

To clean your seat get soft scrub with lemon make sure it doesnt contain bleach. Then just follow it up with some leather conditioner like mequires or lexol. good luck with your new car.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Registered Driver

I have some lexol cleaner and conditioner, since we own a horse, and my sister rides, and my mom used too.

The windows just move extremely slowly, so I am gonna grease everything up.

And I would go get a copy of the master key, but I don't HAVE the master key to make a copy of.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have a valet key? I must not have gotten one of those...I got a master "acura" key, 1 spare that looks just like that one, and an all metal key...
Old 08-14-2004, 10:29 PM
LDH
I

I have some lexol cleaner and conditioner, since we own a horse, and my sister rides, and my mom used too.

The windows just move extremely slowly, so I am gonna grease everything up.

And I would go get a copy of the master key, but I don't HAVE the master key to make a copy of.
they can make a master key using your vin number but you need the registration and like papers to prove you own the car.

Originally Posted by Boarder.97.TL
we have a valet key? I must not have gotten one of those...I got a master "acura" key, 1 spare that looks just like that one, and an all metal key...
assuming all those keys say acura the 2 with the black covers are master keys and the all metal one is a valet. but it could just as easily be a 3rd key made by the previous owner. Simple test is to try to see if you can lock/unlock your glove compartment.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Racer

Ah yes, good call, I'll have to try that when I get back to my car. Thanks LDH
Old 08-15-2004, 10:52 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Yeah, when on O2 sensor goes out, it totally goofs with the engine's computer, making performance far worse.

It basically goes into a safe mode, reducing performance drastically.

Hmm, maybe I should get mine fixed. Maybe thats why I am getting around 200 miles per fill-up..
Old 08-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Racer

If i'm all town driving, thats what I get, about 200...but if its all highway (going 80) its usually about 300....i have a 3.2 by the way...but we can get an imissions checkup if under 150,000 miles for free right? Is that only with Acura dealerships? again i have to make that damn 240 mile trip for that shit.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:29 PM
All about JDM

Originally Posted by demons rage
50-75 bucks?
He doenst want a copy of his master key. He has no master key and only has a valet key, so he needs a completely new master key. Im sure thats expensive. And besides anything comming from a dealer is gonna cost an arm and a leg either way. Bold words for clarification purposes, not trying to be disrespectful or nothing.