help with 6000k philips hid kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005 | 01:54 AM
Intermediate

help with 6000k philips hid kit

Friend helping me install hid. Everything is in place properly, but for some reason the lights dont come on. The DRL(daytime running lights) indicator lights up. He put in the OEM bulbs back in and they work fine. Checked all connections etc, the HID bulbs themself look fine as well, brand new from the box. He just installed a 6500k Xtreme kit on his Mazda Protege and that works fine! What could it be? Is there something special on our TL's that need to be done? thanks!
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:23 AM
Racer

i dont know if you guys tried doing this but try and reverse the ground and high beam connections... thats what i had to do with mines because the wiring diagram was backwards
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:12 AM
Racer

Yeah,
if you have a kit that comes with a wire harness not pre configure ,then you will have the HI,LO,Ground wire mixed up. Even if it comes pre configure, sometimes its not right. I had the same problem and started to panick at first. Basically, to find out which wire is which, I used a regular halogen bulb and connect 2 wires at a time from the car's headlamp harness and play around with the HI/LO switch until I can figure whch is which.
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

man i hate it when ppl install electrical without using a meter... it makes life so much easier...
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
man i hate it when ppl install electrical without using a meter... it makes life so much easier...
thanks for all the replies, friend talked to the shop he got it from. He had to play with the hi/lo wires I think, anyways its working now. Though my daytime driving lights arent working but w/e I could always turn the HID on if I really wanted light during the daytime? lol

Now I just need to get some sylvania bulbs for the front park lamps/fogs. Or does anyone else recommend something else so that they match up to the HID somewhat? thanks.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:48 AM
Intermediate

thanks for all the replies, friend talked to the shop he got it from. He had to play with the hi/lo wires I think, anyways its working now. Though my daytime driving lights arent working but w/e I could always turn the HID on if I really wanted light during the daytime? lol

Now I just need to get some sylvania bulbs for the front park lamps/fogs. Or does anyone else recommend something else so that they match up to the HID somewhat? thanks.
Old 09-02-2005 | 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

i would use LEDs... i have PIAA leds in the parking lights now and they match the HIDs pretty well
Old 09-02-2005 | 03:11 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
I just grounded my ballasts right to the frame and found the wire that was hot when the headlights were on. Tapped into that for the power and voila...HID'S!!!
Old 09-02-2005 | 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Cornflake
I just grounded my ballasts right to the frame and found the wire that was hot when the headlights were on. Tapped into that for the power and voila...HID'S!!!
yeah me too... i found out that the lows were on the right side of the ballast... hooked up a male connector to the hid ballast... and plugged it in... the beauty of a meter...
Old 09-02-2005 | 08:44 PM
Intermediate

ViciousX,

Question on your Philips hid kit. Where and how much did you purchased it ??

I'm trying to gather some info on the kit and purchase one.

I was looking under the hood and didn't really have a clue to where to place the ballasts.

Do you mind posting some pics where you placed them and hows the cutoffs?

Also, is it really plug n play?
Old 09-03-2005 | 01:45 AM
Intermediate

I got it through a friend who has a friend that has his own shop in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I got it shipped/insured deliverd for about 675CDN. It is an ok price, but the service will be great cause its my friends good buddy.

The driver side ballast was placed behind the front bumper just on the battery front side. Sorry I'll try to get pics later. The passengers ballast was placed just beside the brake fluid, using the double sided tape the kit comes with to stick onto metal. Tried as best possible to keep away from heat and fit. It is pretty tight. Just so you know I am up in Canada, so I'm not sure if US engines etc are different.

The HID is great. I tried to aim my headlights but its not moving, I think its broken perhaps from a previous accident I had. I also replaced the passenger side headlight so the light output from that vs the driver side is a bit differnet because the driver side one is old/scracthed etc. Still looks great though when im driving. It covers alot more than stock(lights up the lane beside me abit lol), and alot more clear. I used to have minor issues at night time but for the last 2 days I have driven over 5 hours with these HID and its awesome. I will never go back to stock. Also no one has honked me or high beamed me, so I guess its not blinding oncoming traffic etc.

I need to get some good side/park lamp bulbs. The ones I have now are hyperwhite APC and they like A$$ beside my HID. I think I will get the JDM black housing headlights, thats gonna make things alot better looking and since my headlights dont match atm anyways.

As far as plug in play, its not 100% plug and play. My friend set it up so the only issues was the ground/high beam wires, above someone posted how to resolve this. Everything else is simple though, then again I didn't install it. I just watched lol.

Originally Posted by NY_2.5TL
ViciousX,

Question on your Philips hid kit. Where and how much did you purchased it ??

I'm trying to gather some info on the kit and purchase one.

I was looking under the hood and didn't really have a clue to where to place the ballasts.

Do you mind posting some pics where you placed them and hows the cutoffs?

Also, is it really plug n play?
Old 09-06-2005 | 09:11 PM
Intermediate

excuse the dirty engine! I cleaned it not too long ago but since I put on a good 4-5000km per month on it, it gets dirty fast!

here is pic of ballast locations

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1081/ballast7oo.jpg

I will get night time pics of the HID itself later