FM Modulator Hardwire and Streamline

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM Modulator Hardwire and Streamline

[IMG]Here are some pics of my FM modulator for my 96 TL 3.2 Premium. I can't afford a full stereo replacement (I have replaced the door speakers and rear deck, but still using the stock head unit). Anyway I was tired of that silly lighter plug and all the wires everywhere so this is what I did.

First of all I took the center console out. There are two screws in the deep cargo space under the felt liner. There are also 2 under the ashtray in the front (just pop it up and out). Lastly there is one on each side that cannot be reached without the seats being moved all the way back. You will also need to pop the wood grain panel from around the shifter stick. There will be a small light in here that simply twists and pops out of its socket. Raise the E-brake all the way up and lift the console up. There will be a plug attached to the lighter that you will have to disconnect.

Once you have the lighter plug disconnected, you will note there are 4 wires. It is the outside two that we need. The black (ground) and the blue/yellow (12v switched power.) I am not sure what the middle two are, but my multimeter revealed that these were the ones necessary. I hardwired a simple DC plug with inline fuse that I picked up at Wal-mart. Then I plugged the regular end of the DC plug into the FM modulator (you dont need this specific one. Most of them have an option for DC input. Mounting locations may vary based on your model) Crimp and tape off the ends of your wires, tuck the excess away underneath, and replace everything in reverse order.

Next remove the stereo by popping off the wood trim starting at the passenger side. (Use a flathead screwdriver covered in a soft cloth so as not to scratch anything). The A/C and heating controls will come with it. Disconnect both the plugs from the back, and the paneling will come away. Unscrew the 4 screws around the stereo and the entire unit will slide out forward. Find the angle you need for the 3.5mm stereo plug, and drill a hole through the plastic and padding. push the plug through, and tuck the excess leather back inside for a clean finished look. In my case I also had to slide a piece of cardboard between the plug and stereo in order to keep the plug from sliding back up when pressure is put on it. This may vary depending on the type of stereo plug you have. Place the stereo and wood paneling back, and there you have it.

If I replace with an aftermarket head unit, I will probably just get a rear aux cable and run it up to to this same location (or I may leave the FM modulator. It really has pretty good sound quality for a transmitter like this.)

My next goal is to hardwire an ipod charger to the fuse box, and build a custom bracket directly underneath where it mounts to the 3.5 mm jack. I will throw some pics up if I get it done.

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m...loseupPlug.jpg

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Ipod.jpg

Sorry there were no detailed pics I didnt think to take any as I went. In the finished product you can see the FM modulator behind the Ipod (off to the right in the ashtray.) I tried to describe things best as possible. If you have any questions I will check this forum.