Fantastic information.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic information.

For all you guys with 2.5 TL's that have broken motor mounts....
I went to the mechanic today to get my tires changed and and the mechanic asked me why the hell my car sounds like a diesel and why it shifts so roughly into gear. I told him my mounts are broken and that my manifold might be cracked.
He told me that I should get the mounts changed ASAP being that basically what happens after time is that the motor and the tranny literally start to drift away from another and cause bolts to loosen among other things.
I felt around the manifold and it feels fine, no holes and no signs of rusting. I will be mighty pissed if my exhaust is leaking.
Anyone know where the hell I can get cheap or salvaged mounts?
Thanks!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do realize that if you have less than 150K miles on your car that your exhaust manifold is covered under the extended emissions warranty? As for the motor mounts, they can't be that much new can they? Considering how important a role they play, I'd just toss out some money for new mounts and have some peace of mind. Just my take.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I'm going to Brooklyn Acura. I just need the service information or warranty for the manifold. Does anyone here have it?
The motor mounts are $260 bucks a pop + labor, so blowing close to a grand for that is killing me. To top it off, my radiator cracked. Fantastic.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its b.s. i have less than 150k miles, but i live in canada and no cracked manifold warranty coverage here..i already took it to acura canada customer relations and they said its not noted in our cars...yeah!!! thats why mines cracked! and that motor mount sounds scary..can you just let us know the full details of your suspected or known problems with the car?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VulgarDisplayOfPower
Yeah, I'm going to Brooklyn Acura. I just need the service information or warranty for the manifold. Does anyone here have it?
The motor mounts are $260 bucks a pop + labor, so blowing close to a grand for that is killing me. To top it off, my radiator cracked. Fantastic.
$260 - should have figured. I'd think that you could find some junkyards that specialize in Japanese cars.

As for the radiator, I had some leaking at the top of my radiator where the metal meets the plastic portion on the top. I replaced it myself with an aftermarket radiator from www.radiators.com. If I remember right, the cost was around $200, versus the $700 Acura wanted.

They delivered my radiator to my office and it was MUCH less than an Acura radiator. I can look at my papers tonight to get the brand name of the one I bought if that helps. Replacement was a total breeze - just had to remove some hoses, the electrical fan and the lower shroud. Took maybe 1.5 hours going slowly.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

BTW, I checked really quick and they sell lifetime warranty radiators for 1st gen TLs for $189 - probably needs to be shipped, which is $15-20 more.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my radiator cracked and I replaced it with an after market, which was $190.00 and the guy installed it for $50.00.

When I asked the dealer, they wanted over $1000.00 installed. ( kiss my behind ).
Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think the factory radiator is $700 alone. $50 is not bad at all for labor.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Advanced

You would think that Acura would have the decency to actually lower the prices of these parts after time, but of course not.
Well as for the problems with my Acura so far... I got the lucky one with just about every defect known to man.

1.Alright, when I bought the car the oil was so old that it ate away the pan and when they DID change the oil, literally pieces of metal fell out of there.

2. My back left bushing/joint broke, cost me about 200 to fix it. Sounded like I was driving on rocks even on a straight road. Funny thing was, that shit fell right out when they took my wheel off. Good to know I didn't die.

3. Slow ass fuckin windows. I lubed them up with WD40 but New York's crazy ass temperatures definitely dried it up. In September, it'll jump from 95 to like 50 in like a day. So that was a temporary solution.

4. My windshield wipers stop randomly when on the slowest speed.

5. My anti-theft alarm goes off randomly when I use my remote to unlock the doors. Embarrassing.

6. The leather aged prematurely, and now looks like diarrhea.

7. The motor mounts cracked and now I need to spend out the ass fixing them. As I said before, I have no idea what to do. According to my mechanic, they're pulling the motor and tranny away from each other and it's causing the car to jerk violently at times. Maybe that could be an answer for all you people who have broken mounts and a jerking tranny.

8. Tranny jerks, not so much anymore because I changed the fluid. For a while, it was very mild. But it's getting worse again...

I can't really think of anything else. Everything else is bullshit. Stock CD unit is a piece of shit, that's in my closet, It probably needs to be cleaned. I'd sell that thing if it actually worked.