Entering security code...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entering security code...

I did a search, but couldn't find the exact information I need. I've got a 1996 Honda Accord with a 1998 Acura TL headunit. I have the security code that was given to me from the place of purchase. I left my lights on last night and killed my battery (it was getting old anyway) and of course my stereo is now asking me for the code. I turn it on so that CODE.E appears on the screen, and then type in the 5 digit code.... but then nothing happens. Am I forgetting to do something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Instructor

I ran in to the same problem, and could not get to work so i said fug it, and got a Kenwood head unit. Best Buy is having a sale on all head units right now plus free instalation. I thought it was a pretty good deal and now I can hook my I pod and use a SD card. Sweet!!!!!!! I would recomend just getting a after market head unit because 1st gen Acura head units get to be a problem if they are not already
Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
reset your battery again n plug it bac up and wait for a couple mins till u see "code" you should have a 5 # code. i had teh same problem like you when i had a honda accord 95.

or you can at least call them up and they be askign serial # of the radio n they will give the right code
Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

Hmm. Well, the unit is still under warranty so I'll give them a call on Monday. I hope they just gave me the wrong code. The stereo seemed to work fine before. I just thought that maybe I was supposed to push another button before/during/after typing in the code..?? It's a nice headunit, and goes much better with the rest of the dashboard than aftermarket units. I do have a fairly new Sony Xplod unit in my closet that I was going to sell, but maybe I'll hang on to it just in case.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
he is going for oem look... have u ever had to type it in before??? if not i would double check the code with acura database...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

No, this is the first time Ive had to type it in. I'll take the stereo out over the weekend and get the ID number on the back and call it in, and make sure they didn't give me the wrong code.

I guess life would be boring if everything was easy and went smoothly... lol. Thanks for the help guys.

he is going for oem look>>>

Yeah, I had a 92 Legend coupe that got totaled (Chevy P/U ran a stop sign) and I loved that car and it's luxuries. My sister was selling the Accord, and it had very low mileage (45k at the time) It was an EX model, so it has some bells and whistles... but it was still a step down from the Legend. I bought it because it was still a Honda, it was very well taken car of and of course I got an excellent deal by keeping it in the family.

It's now got 163,000 miles... but it's been an outstanding car and has never ever let me down. I've gotten attached to it... otherwise I'd trade it in for another Acura! Instead, I've tried to bring some of the Acura's luxuries into the Accord. So far so good, except now for the stereo.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
^^^ i would def get a code... well double check it... because if its not right it will just freeze like what you are saying... let us know...
Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, heres an update. I pulled my dash apart and got the stereo out just far enough to where I could read the serial number. Called Acura, but of course they said I needed to come to the dealership to show proof of purchase, etc. So I got to the dealership and had to show my lisence, vehicle registration, receipt for the stereo, etc. and was given the code. It was off by one number! So I typed it in, and still nothing. So I went ahead and disconnected the battery, reconnected it and typed it in again... viola! Stereo finally came to life. Now, I get absolutely NO AM/FM reception whatsoever... just static on every channel...?? Oh well, for now I can at least listen to CDs and cassettes. lol. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably accidently pulled out the wire for the antenna and didn't realize it. Open it back up and take a look behind it, I bet that's the problem.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondafanatic1100
Okay, heres an update. I pulled my dash apart and got the stereo out just far enough to where I could read the serial number. Called Acura, but of course they said I needed to come to the dealership to show proof of purchase, etc. So I got to the dealership and had to show my lisence, vehicle registration, receipt for the stereo, etc. and was given the code. It was off by one number! So I typed it in, and still nothing. So I went ahead and disconnected the battery, reconnected it and typed it in again... viola! Stereo finally came to life. Now, I get absolutely NO AM/FM reception whatsoever... just static on every channel...?? Oh well, for now I can at least listen to CDs and cassettes. lol. Thanks for the help everyone!

lol i was right,reset battery n type code
Old 09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

You probably accidently pulled out the wire for the antenna and didn't realize it. Open it back up and take a look behind it, I bet that's the problem>>>

I plan to do that this afternoon, because I was thinking the same exact thing. I get a little reception on some of the channels, but very little and there still a lot of static.

If anyone needs to know how to take the dash apart in an Accord, let me know... I've become a pro! Lol. Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated!

I just hope this thing lasts at least another year or so...(It came out of a 1998 TL) but at least if the CD player conks out, I can still listen to tapes. haha.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CD players are fine, with regular CDs. Home burnt CDs have a lot of issues though. Though some people don't have any, many others do.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
The CD players are fine, with regular CDs. Home burnt CDs have a lot of issues though. Though some people don't have any, many others do.
Burn at 1x. Also it depends on brands. When I still had the stock HU, I would burn at 1x with Maxell and it read perfectly. Burning fast or on cheap media would cause problems.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Hmm, I use Sony CD-R (700MB) discs, and they seem to be working fine so far.