Check engine lights after jumpstart, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine lights after jumpstart, help

Hi guys, I just need some help on some check engine light codes I'm getting. Heres the story. My car always had long delays (~3secs) between turning the key and the car starting up. I've read it was most likely corrosion on the battery cables (my battery is new and I had it load tested fine). But on cold/wet mornings my car doesn't start up, but a quick jump start does the trick.

Now heres where it gets interesting. Yesterday morning I needed a jump cause it was a little cold. When I left work, it was dead again, so I borrowed a portable jumping kit to start it up (all my previous jumps were off other's cars). The check engine light came on and threw codes for malfunction in the crankshaft position sensor and a cylinder misfire. What is this? Do you guys think its just a computer glitch, and I should just reset the battery to see if it goes away? Or is it really something I shouldn't be driving on? Eeeek, I dont want to see my TL go down this way. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Reset the computer by pulling the BackUp fuse for 20 secs.

Does the engine fail to turn over fast enough to start or does the starter simply click until the starter finally engages? First indicates weak battery or bad battery connection, while 2nd indicates worn starter solenoid. I can help w/ solenoid fix, it thats the problem.

good luck
Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply, I'll do that and hope the light stays off. As for the car starting, once I turn the key, the starter clicks once, the dash lights come on, and I hold key in ignition for a silent ~3-4 seconds, then the car suddenly turns on. I brought the car into a shop before. The battery loadtested fine and they put in new terminals. The car started up quickly for about two weeks, but then the delay came back. Maybe they just charged up my battery so the weak starter was just getting more juice for those 2 weeks? At this point, I'm up for anything. Are you near my area? Probably not though, judging from your screenname
Old 10-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by pufftom101
Hi, thanks for the reply, I'll do that and hope the light stays off. As for the car starting, once I turn the key, the starter clicks once, the dash lights come on, and I hold key in ignition for a silent ~3-4 seconds, then the car suddenly turns on. I brought the car into a shop before. The battery loadtested fine and they put in new terminals. The car started up quickly for about two weeks, but then the delay came back. Maybe they just charged up my battery so the weak starter was just getting more juice for those 2 weeks? At this point, I'm up for anything. Are you near my area? Probably not though, judging from your screenname
Next time this happens, instead of holding the key in START position, release and re-engage, several times until starter engages. If you hear a repeated loud click from the starter each time before it engages, the starter solenoid contacts are bad. This is apparently a pretty common problem w/ Honda and Acura Starters.

There are three repair options; new starter $$, used starter $, or repair solenoid <$. Let me know if it's the starter solenoid, and if you like I'll describe the repair.

good luck