Car Audio help for a lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Car Audio help for a lost

As much as I know about brakes and engines and stuff, I am totally in the dark about car audio.

Having said that, my girlfriend got me this new MP3 playing head unit. So I guess it's time for me to get better speakers too.

If any of you guys could give me some help, it would be great. I don't know what size speakers we have in the car, or what brand(s) to get. I did a search for speaker help and everything assumed a level of knowledge I don't have.

So yeah, I'm talking hold my hand type help here.

I do know I don't want any subs. Just want to replace the rears, the front doors, and the front dash ones.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 PM
'97 2.5TL Premium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard the doors were 6.5"

what kind of HU did you get?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by wackjum
As much as I know about brakes and engines and stuff, I am totally in the dark about car audio.
So yeah, I'm talking hold my hand type help here.

I do know I don't want any subs. Just want to replace the rears, the front doors, and the front dash ones.

Thanks in advance guys.
1. The front Door Speakers are 6.5 or Six and a Half's as they would say... you can get a component kit that will give you a bit more better sound between your mids and highs... (High pitched and in between sounds)...

2. The rear speakers that you can see if you jump in your trunk are 6x9's or six by nine's...

3. There are nooo and i mean NO! in dash speakers that i know of... i know we have two tweeters (Highs) that are on each corner of the dash and 2 tweeters (Center highs) where the Map light thing is...

Hope this helps... about brand, basicly that is really up to the person... Some people like kicker... some people like Audiobahn... and others like infinity... and like Ken i think he has something called kamikoochies...(spelling)

Post some more if you want some more info...

About holding your hand... sorry thats a bit :ghey: but i'm sure we can and will help you out with whatever questions you may have about this... just like you help us out with engine stuff etc...

EDIT: One last thing... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=Door+Speakers Check that for a bit more of a refrence...
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Also, Congratz on the HU... sooo, you got your physical present already huh... sooo, what is she going to get your for X-MAS???

Oh... about the HU... some people like to keep everythin one brand... maybe you might want to do the same... maybe not... it all depends on you... but really... What brand HU did you get???

Again...Congratz on the new HU...
Old 12-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I with Spooky about what brand/manufacturer an individual should get. Budget has a lot to do with what you want. Here's a link to Discount Stereo just to give you an idea as to what speakers can cost. They carry a lot of name brand items as well as high end stuff. You'll prabably get more replies regarding this subject so don't get intimidated by the amount of info received. You might wanna check out the Bluetooth, Navi, Audio & Video forum as to what folks have as an aftermarket product. Good Luck in your choice........
Old 12-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

It's a JVC KD-G300. I think it has 4 channels or whatever you call it.

So that means when I'm done I'm only going to have 4 speakers?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah, and now I'm hearing stuff like coaxial and such.

If this helps anybody make suggestions... I'm setting aside 300-400USD for this project. Is that too much or not enough?

This might include paying one of you guys to consult.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

It looks like a nice deck...

Here's a link to the same brand speakers... Not the best... but not cheap either... they are like whatever speakers... IMO... Click Here...

And they don't look that bad either... The same site has them in 6x9's... This is only if you want to keep everything the same brand... If you want to do a mix and match for quality sound... GO FOR IT!!! its recommened...
Old 12-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I have Nakamichi speakers for the 6.5's and tweeters. They are considered among the best in the world

Got it all for under 200 bucks.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Racer

Nakamichi are good speakers...especially for the 6.5 and the 6X9...I personally like Boston Acoustic they make a good component speaker...good crisp quality...i had them all around in a old RX-7 i had and they lasted for a long time. just my 2 cents...Congrats on the HU!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spooky3ce
kamikoochies
did somebody say koochies?!

300-400 bucks for speakers? thats just enough to invest in Diamond Audio component set - HEX s600. One of the best component sets out there. You can't go wrong with component sets. Or you can look into Alpine's component sets with the series SPX's. Be sure to save extra more money to push those components. Or you can put out an extra 200 bucks or so and purchase some Infinity Kappa 6x9's
Old 12-19-2004, 10:24 AM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by TLBaller
did somebody say koochies?!

300-400 bucks for speakers? thats just enough to invest in Diamond Audio component set - HEX s600. One of the best component sets out there. You can't go wrong with component sets. Or you can look into Alpine's component sets with the series SPX's. Be sure to save extra more money to push those components. Or you can put out an extra 200 bucks or so and purchase some Infinity Kappa 6x9's
Keep in mind if he spends that much on speakers to get components he still needs an amp for it.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Speaker sizes: (2) 6.5 in doors, (2) 1" tweeters in the dash, and (2) 2" midrnge in the maplight area, and (2) 6*9 in rear parcel shelf

since our cars have a midrange, i've been looking into 3-way component systems. The only caveat is that they cost a lot and the midrange speakers are usually 4" compared to the 2" stocks that we have.

Congrats on HU. Hope this helps. Merry XMAS everyone.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Can somebody analogize car audio to normal audio applications?

From what I'm reading, component systems would be like a 3-way floor speaker. Coaxial speakers would be like whatever is stuck onto boomboxes where one speaker makes all sounds. Is this correct?

What do we have as stock?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
LDH
I

Speakers are all preference, some people will go through 2-3 sets before they find ones they like if they are really into it. If you just want it to sound decent. I'd look into a set of cdt cl-6x speakers for the front. Link I put those in my friends integra and my accord, i liked them a lot. The rears I normally go with 6.5's and a sub for bass. But since you'll be shopping for 6x9's I'd look in to alpine or infinity.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:14 PM
-glock security-

i personally would not get another head unit for my TL unless its a double-din unit. that means the same size as the stock unit.
the gap or the "pocket" is totally unacceptable to me
Old 12-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by jerseydriver
i personally would not get another head unit for my TL unless its a double-din unit. that means the same size as the stock unit.
Sooo, where do you keep the Trojens at???

DD's are cool... just because they have the CD and Tape still there... its easier to put a car adapter to it... but the Single HU's keep it a bit cleaner because of the Aux port in the back... some have it in the front too though...

Again, All i have to say is... "Its all about preferance and the person that is going to be using the equipment..."
Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by jerseydriver
I like single din without a pocket becuase if you have ever had an alpine headunit without an internal amp there are too many wires hanging out of there.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

From what I'm reading, component systems would be like a 3-way floor speaker. Coaxial speakers would be like whatever is stuck onto boomboxes where one speaker makes all sounds. Is this correct?

Basically separates include a woofer, tweeter and crossovers resulting in better imaging and soundstage. The woofer is mounted low and the tweeter higher up.

All the components are mounted onto one structure for simplicity of installation. Purchasing a set of speakers is a personal choice. It's a process of elimination: Find something you like, listen to them with your favorite music and most of all stay in your budget. If it appeals to you and what you hear sounds good, go for it. If not find something else.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Ok I did some research today (in store research... Ok ok I just looked at stuff hanging on the wall and pushed buttons).

Everything was 6.5 and 6x9. They say they are 3-way. So these are not components I'm guessing.

How do I replace the tweeters in the dash? I can't find tweeters for sale. Are the current speakers components or not? Will the tweeters still work after I put in the head unit?

Damn I am still so lost.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:48 PM
LDH
I

Ok I did some research today (in store research... Ok ok I just looked at stuff hanging on the wall and pushed buttons).

Everything was 6.5 and 6x9. They say they are 3-way. So these are not components I'm guessing.

How do I replace the tweeters in the dash? I can't find tweeters for sale. Are the current speakers components or not? Will the tweeters still work after I put in the head unit?

Damn I am still so lost.
No they wont work, but i remember someone saying if you splice the wiring they well...but how important is it to you that they work?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

wackjum, on my previous post - the first picture shows a component speaker system and it is a set comprised of a woofer, tweeter and a crossover which routes the highs to the tweeter and the lows to the woofer. The second picture is a 6 x 9 3-Way speaker. You'll probably need an adapter plug so you can use the stock wiring to connect the HU and speakers. In your case, I would recommend having them install the front speakers (separates) for you. The cost will vary depending on what needs to be done. Avg. cost for speaker install is about $35-$50 a set. The rear speaker replacement is simple enough (I'm guessing it's mounted on the rear deck) - remove the the nuts holding the speaker and it should come out. Secure the speaker in the mounting area and connect the wires. If you're a DIY person and pretty much mechanically inclined, give it a shot. If not, let a pro installer at a reputable shop do it. That's just my
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What do we have as stock?
Component systems are bascially a 2 speaker (sometimes 3) system consisting of a tweeter (highs) and a woofer (in this application mids and mid-bass). They also usually come with a passive crossover wich filters the appropriate sounds to the appropriate speakers. This allows you to take for example the one right front channel and run these two speakers off of that one output, and not having them put too much resistance on the deck/amp as they are playing different sounds. Our TL's have a component type set-up with tweeters in the outer corners of the dash and mids in the doors. We also have a center channel in the upper console. these speakers play at a much lower level than the others and are basically there to help create a proper sound-stage (the concept that when playing music on your car, it should sound as if the person is singing directly ahead of your windshield). The rears are 6x9 speakers which help to deliver basic bass and a little fill for the rear passengers and again to compliment the sound stage. As for keeping the brands the same, there is no reason why you should have to do that. Many manufacturers are better at producing certain equipment, but it's still all personal preference in the end. If you don't want subs because of the bulk, overbearing bass, etc., I would suggest still considering one small 8" box or bazooka tube. this will simply fill out the dynamic range in your car and make the whole system sound better while not taking up all your trunk space or making the car next to your's windows rattle.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Cornflake, thanks for a more definiitve explanation. Points for ya. I know you were talking about the 3G TL system, and I was assuming wackjum's TL is not a 3G. Hopefully, this will give him a better insight to what he wants.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Cornflake, thanks for a more definiitve explanation. Points for ya. I know you were talking about the 3G TL system, and I was assuming wackjum's TL is not a 3G. Hopefully, this will give him a better insight to what he wants.
Thanks Hawhyen, but I am refering to the 1g TL system here. I'm pretty sure Wackjum's got a 1st gen as well....
Old 12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Forgot to explain that CO-Axial speaker, or "Co-Ax" are simply a component set where the tweeter and the woofer share the same AXIS. That is ti say they are mounted together, with the tweeter being where the dust cap would normally be on a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" mid. This simplifies installation, but is typically not the best for creating a realistic sound stage, as the having the highs mounted so low where the mids are typically located in the lower front area of the door causes alot of their sount to be absorbed by the carpet and even the jeans you wear when you are driving. Higher frequecies are more directional, meaning that the sound is more affected by the direction of the speaker in relation to your ears.

Hope this helps in any decision making!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Thanks guys, especially Cornflake (and TLBaller). I think I'm getting a better picture of what I should be looking at.

I think I will get the Alpine SPX-117R 2 way components and a set of Sony Xplod 4-way 6x9. How's that?

Now I will need an amp for this too right?

Again, thanks a lot so far guys. I didn't know a thing just a day ago.

Oh yeah, Cornflake, can you keep going about the little bazooka thing? I might look into that if the cost and space footprint isn't prohibitive.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Thanks guys, especially Cornflake (and TLBaller). I think I'm getting a better picture of what I should be looking at.

I think I will get the Alpine SPX-117R 2 way components and a set of Sony Xplod 4-way 6x9. How's that?

Oh yeah, Cornflake, can you keep going about the little bazooka thing? I might look into that if the cost and space footprint isn't prohibitive.
No Problem Wackjum. You would be better off with an amp, yes. ALMOST always provides better sound quality than deck power. That of course means definately running all new speaker wire, but it is well worth it for the best possible clarity out of whatever equipment you get. You should get a 4 channel amp with a built in electronic crossover to keep things simple. This will let you cut off the lowest bass to the speakers in the car to help them play clearer and last longer! If you do that, the best option is to get a small sub box, ie a Bazooka Tube. That is one particular brand name for a cylindrical bass box. They have boxes in this configuration for everything from an 8" to 15" woofer. They even have them with built in amps for ease of installation and tuning. i think based on what you've said, this will be your best bet. If you can find an 8 or 10" Bazzooka, you will add JUST enough bass (and you can always turn it up or down to suit your needs) to improve dynamics in your car. They are about 1.5-just over 2 feet long based on the size of the woofer, and are only as round as the woofer (plus a small hump on top for the amp and port). This will tuck in the front part of the trunk (closest to the seats) quite well in a TL I think and help you out. If not that, you could always get just a simple 8 or 10" single sealed box which will be about 1.5 cubic feet total and a small amp. Hope all goes well and feel free to contact me for anything regarding install.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

What do you guys think about installing a system myself? I've never done this before but I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

The 6x9s and the 6.5s seem straightforward enough. I dunno about the dash tweeters. I also am going to run new wires. And I have to come up with a way to tap the battery for the amp. Is this a fun project to undertake or should I leave it to the professionals?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Personally, I love doing it myself, I just never seem to get around to finishing anything before I rip it out and re-do something. But if you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too hard. The best way to tap into the battery is to do exactly that, run your power wire, (2-8 gauge depending on the size of your amps), and hook it directly to the battery. (You should have an inline fuse of course close to the battery to protect it). There is a rubber grommet on the firewall (I will look at mine to see EXACTLY where it is cause I can't think of it right now) that you can make a small slit in and pass the wire through to the inside of the car, then just run it under the door sills to the amp in the trunk.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

I say Tackle the DIY!!! It'll be fun...

What do you guys think about installing a system myself? I've never done this before but I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

The 6x9s and the 6.5s seem straightforward enough. I dunno about the dash tweeters. I also am going to run new wires. And I have to come up with a way to tap the battery for the amp. Is this a fun project to undertake or should I leave it to the professionals?
Originally Posted by Cornflake
Personally, I love doing it myself, I just never seem to get around to finishing anything before I rip it out and re-do something. But if you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too hard. The best way to tap into the battery is to do exactly that, run your power wire, (2-8 gauge depending on the size of your amps), and hook it directly to the battery. (You should have an inline fuse of course close to the battery to protect it). There is a rubber grommet on the firewall (I will look at mine to see EXACTLY where it is cause I can't think of it right now) that you can make a small slit in and pass the wire through to the inside of the car, then just run it under the door sills to the amp in the trunk.
except the "mechanicly inclined" don't know what the means, but if it's sort of like not being good at it... then i suggest you try it... its not rocket science... "you'll never learn to ride a bike if you don't get on it..." "you'll fall off a couple of times but eventually you'll get it right" So, think of it as a learning experiance... we are here to talk you through it if you like... or just tell you what your next step should be... either way... we are here for you hommie... IMO... the best way to start is to take everything apart and put your equipment where you want it... note: don't forget to document where everything goes so that when you start to put everything back you won't be left with extra peices...

One last thing... you will never have it the way you want it until you do it yourself...
Old 12-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

I've changed what I'm getting once again... *sigh*

Diamond Audio M3 components and MB Quart 6x9s. Still looking into that Bazooka Tube sub and a 4 +1 amp.

Thanks a lot guys. This has been and continues to be a neat experience.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

ok...so how exactly do you remove the 6 x 9s from the rear deck....ive looked for ways but i cant seem to find a way to remove it.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

What you mean is SPX 177R (very good component sets). Those are top of the line Alpines. Anything "X" by alpine is their high end audio as of today. They'll make stronger better ones later but as of now, they're alpine high end.

COMPONENTS: components give you a natural and defined sound (treble and bass range), compared to stock. They allow you to better direct the sound path to your eyes b/c a lot of tweeters (those very small round thingies) can swivel and move according to your ears so you can create realistic stereo imaging. Please don't forget to power these with a high powered radio or external amplifier.

AMPLIFIERS: When you get speakers, be sure to have an amp to push them so you can get the full potential of the speakers. Without an amp, you wont get the clear crisp sound that its capable of giving off!! DON'T TRAP THE SOUND! When looking for an amp, find a TWO-CHANNEL amp to power 2 speakers. Powering all speakers in your car, you will probably need a 4-CHANNEL amp (2 channel for the front speakers and 2 for the rear speakers.) Some people use a 5 channel amp and use that last 5th channel to power a subwoofer- I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just use a different amp just to power that subwoofer(subwoofer is the biggest speaker in the car 8" or bigger). I'll talk about the woofer later whenever you're ready for a sub. Hope all this helps.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by TLBaller
What you mean is SPX 177R (very good component sets). Those are top of the line Alpines. Anything "X" by alpine is their high end audio as of today. They'll make stronger better ones later but as of now, they're alpine high end.

COMPONENTS: components give you a natural and defined sound (treble and bass range), compared to stock. They allow you to better direct the sound path to your eyes b/c a lot of tweeters (those very small round thingies) can swivel and move according to your ears so you can create realistic stereo imaging. Please don't forget to power these with a high powered radio or external amplifier.

AMPLIFIERS: When you get speakers, be sure to have an amp to push them so you can get the full potential of the speakers. Without an amp, you wont get the clear crisp sound that its capable of giving off!! DON'T TRAP THE SOUND! When looking for an amp, find a TWO-CHANNEL amp to power 2 speakers. Powering all speakers in your car, you will probably need a 4-CHANNEL amp (2 channel for the front speakers and 2 for the rear speakers.) Some people use a 5 channel amp and use that last 5th channel to power a subwoofer- I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just use a different amp just to power that subwoofer(subwoofer is the biggest speaker in the car 8" or bigger). I'll talk about the woofer later whenever you're ready for a sub. Hope all this helps.

sorry to thread jack.. .bro are u ok??? did u stick it out in houston???
Old 09-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Sorry I didn't see your post about change of components. Diamond audio is another good brand. I was going to get the Diamond hex s600s a long time ago but i have a friend who is in the audio business here in houston and he said he found a set sold by crutchfield for 60 bucks but the original price was 110 bucks (TSC blaupunkt 6.5") yes blaubpunkt are a cheap brand but he said the bass is incredible for the price and bought 2 pairs! This guy uses high end audio in his truck and went out and bought 2 sets of these components!! I am going to have to listen to his truck before I buy these components..but i usually trust him when it comes to car audio. I want to buy it before the sale ends..
Old 09-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Hi TLBaller.

Man this thread is old. I installed my components (Diamond Audio M667) almost a year ago.

DJSlim revived this thread to ask how to remove the 6x9s in the deck.

Anyway Kamlung, I can't speak for TLBaller, but I'm doing ok. There's a gasoline shortage though. So my car is running on fumes. The hurricane hit Houston pretty lightly. Almost no real damage and flooding.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
im waiting for the rain to come over here.. but it freaking moved to shrevesport.. i wanted some rain..
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
sorry to thread jack.. .bro are u ok??? did u stick it out in houston???
i bounced to san antonio. normally a trip to san antonio from houston is 3 hours bit it took me and my family 12.5 hrs. I left my car at home b/c I didn't think my car would make it. my car tends to heat up pretty fast even though the needle says it stays cool but the fan comes on frequently so i wasn't going to take my chances.

i have a friend whose from san antonio so she took me out clubbing. came back home and the neighbors told me the power went out for about 5 hours but other than that, it was just mostly branches all on the streets, no houses were destroyed. my uncle on the other hand is from port arthur and his motel was phuqqed up.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
TL Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooCooTL
Nakamichi are good speakers...especially for the 6.5 and the 6X9...I personally like Boston Acoustic they make a good component speaker...good crisp quality...i had them all around in a old RX-7 i had and they lasted for a long time. just my 2 cents...Congrats on the HU!

Boston Acoustics speakers are great. I have the Pro's up front and the NX's in the rear amped with an MTX 4-channel. cleanest sound i've heard.