A/C hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 10:20 PM

A/C hissing noise

I've just spent the last six weeks trying to resolve an issue with my newly acquired '98 Acura TL 3.2. There is a distinctive hissing noise that can be heard every 15 seconds and lasting about 5 seconds whenever the air conditioner is operating. I've been to the dealer several times and they've insisted that all Acura's hiss when the A/C is on. I couldn't believe when it was confirmed by Alan Reynosa from Acura customer service that indeed the annoying hiss I hear is considered "normal noise". Even more unbelieveable is that nowhere in any of the Acura chat rooms has anyone mentioned the noise, nor was it mentioned in any reviews I read about this vehicle. I would have thought that there would have been enough complaints that Acura would have come up with a retrofit that would have eliminated the noise. So now I have a $20,000 vehicle that I have to drive with the windows down and the A/C off in order to avoid that incessant hiss. Maybe they should refer to this vehicle as the Type-SSSSSSS.

I'd appreciate any comments from fellow TL owners. I might have better luck with Acura if I can prove that the hissing isn't normal every 15 seconds. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd - never heard of it before either.

I wonder if its the same noise that happens on other cars that use a vacum mechanism to drive the HVAC controls. I do recall on other cars a short hiss when I would swicth between defrost and vent for example- it was the vacums mechnism moving the gears behind the dash.

I'm not sure what the Acura uses since it has automtic climate controls but I presume its still vacum operated. If thats the case it could be a vacum leak behind the dash.

just a guess - good luck
Old 09-19-2001, 02:54 PM
whoXwanXsum

i have a 1st gen 3.2 also and i have never heard a hiss from my ac. nothing even close to a hiss, very weird. my car does make a noise every now and then the best way i could explain it would be a 3 second kinda vibration not very loud but loud enough to hear and u can feel the floorboard vibrate. my friends integra did this as did his mothers vigor. i have never said anything to the dealer so i guess its just an acura thing. but i think something is wrong if your ac is hissing because mine DOES NOT
Old 09-21-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro

i have never noticed a hissing noise. and i use the ac as often as possible i cant take hot weather. but i never heard any noise or vibration or nothin i do notice the headlights dim everyonce in a while tho