Brake torquing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Brake torquing

Have any of you hardcore types actually done this?

FYI Brake Torquing is where you step on the brakes and then ride the gas until the engine gets up to the stall speed on the torque convertor. Supposedly gives automatics a better launch.

From reading posts in the 2nd and 3rd gen TL, brake torquing doesn't do anything because the ECU retards the timing. This seems to be true in most large family cars (Camry, Avalon, etc).

Does the first gen TL do this too? Has anybody noticed improvements in accel?

I'm just curious. I don't intend on finding out myself.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what i have done is but it on nutral hit the gas and drop down to drive, ill do a burn out then launch, but i try not to much..
Old 09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by longeye23s
what i have done is but it on nutral hit the gas and drop down to drive, ill do a burn out then launch, but i try not to much..
If done frequently, thats a good way to mess up your transmission. Power braking (what wackjum is talking about) is a pretty safe way to get a better launch. I'm sure it puts a lot of stress on axles/bearings/brakes, but nothing too bad, and im pretty sure it does give a better launch if you do it right. You may try setting your e-brake-holding the rpm's, and then launching, that would probably put less stress on the front drive components (CV shafts and such).
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Racer

i just dont do it all any more. its fun once or twice. i love my car too much to do anything to hurt it...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Instructor

What is "Stall Speed"
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by ljmushock
You may try setting your e-brake-holding the rpm's, and then launching, that would probably put less stress on the front drive components (CV shafts and such).
Problem there is that the front tires will tent to want to drag the rear tires along... you can do this to do a burn out... but itsn't all that good if you want to take off... the brake torquing sounds like a better way to get off the line quicker... but either way I wouldn't risk damaging my car anymore...

You shouldn't be doing it at all in our cars IMHO but i've done it... thats probably why all my wheel bearings have been replaced at least once each... and my brakes redone a lot of times at Midas (free warrenty thing) still...

Originally Posted by wackjum
From reading posts in the 2nd and 3rd gen TL
maybe that is why they have all those transmission problems huh???
Old 09-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Racer

hi folks.
I certainly aint even going to try this.
Especially someone mention putting the gear in neutral, step on tha gas, and then put it on drive. This is too risky for the transmission and othr parts.

What I do to take off quickly without possible damages is this,
on a red light, put the gear on D3.
When green, accelerate until you're almost to the redline, then take your foot off the gas and quickly switch the gear to D4 and then accelerate.

The idea is that when you put the gear into D3, you're starting out at gear number 3. You will be able to get alittle ahead. On the other hand, your opponent (if racing) when they accelerate, they go through gear 1 then 2 then 3,ect.. I dont know if other car companies allow us to skip gears like a Honda/Acura. This technique is useful when going against cars with more HP. Well, it will atleast put you close to the other cars but not so far away.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ysidro
hi folks.
Especially someone mention putting the gear in neutral, step on tha gas, and then put it on drive. This is too risky for the transmission and othr parts.

When green, accelerate until you're almost to the redline, then take your foot off the gas and quickly switch the gear to D4 and then accelerate.

The idea is that when you put the gear into D3, you're starting out at gear number 3. You will be able to get alittle ahead. On the other hand, your opponent (if racing) when they accelerate, they go through gear 1 then 2 then 3,ect.. I dont know if other car companies allow us to skip gears like a Honda/Acura. This technique is useful when going against cars with more HP. Well, it will atleast put you close to the other cars but not so far away.
You are not actually starting out in 3rd gear, if that was the case are cars do not produce enough torqe to accelerate quickly from a dead stop in third gear, When in D3 you are still starting in first the only difference is that once you are in third you have to shift manually into fourth gear. te best way is to put it in first gear break the wheels get the RPM's up to 2000 and let your foot off the break this get you RPM's up just enough to get rid of that hesitation when you stomp on the gas from a dead stop. Then all you have to do is bring the rpm's up 500 before red line and shift it in to second if you hit it just reight your Variablie intake valves should not even close, giving you the powere that you want. Just keep bringing it up to 500 to 750 BEFORE red line and then shift it in to the next gear. This is why why we have a Four Speed Automatic so you can do this and VIS valves will not close giving you continous power.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Power Braking isn't really bad for a car. It will cause wear and tear quicker on some parts but it's nothing dangerous. The RPM's will only go to like 3,000. It does give a quicker launch though not much of one.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by Ysidro
hi folks.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Racer

the hell with all that,turbo!!
turbo, turbo, turbo
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mblackmarr
What is "Stall Speed"
Stall speed is how high the RPMs will go before the torque convertor starts to slip. Once it starts slipping, it will take a very noticeable moment for the torque convertor blades to "catch" the vortex.

On Supras and other automatic turbo cars, brake torquing is often done to get some exhaust flowing to the turbines prior to launch. In these cases, a common mod is a "high stall torque convertor" which stalls at a higher RPM.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ljmushock
If done frequently, thats a good way to mess up your transmission. Power braking (what wackjum is talking about) is a pretty safe way to get a better launch. I'm sure it puts a lot of stress on axles/bearings/brakes, but nothing too bad, and im pretty sure it does give a better launch if you do it right. You may try setting your e-brake-holding the rpm's, and then launching, that would probably put less stress on the front drive components (CV shafts and such).
It'll mostly put the stress on the torque converter. Don't do it often.

In my '03 TL-S, I get a faster launch with a slight amount of wheelspin without power braking, and with power braking, a slower launch but with no wheelspin. Better 1/4-mile times are achieved without power braking.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard somewhere, and saw a chart, that shows how it more or less "cooks" the transmission fluid, something you should keep in mind if you do it often.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Brake torquing does NOT work in any Honda automatic transmission equipped car.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
In my '03 TL-S, I get a faster launch with a slight amount of wheelspin without power braking, and with power braking, a slower launch but with no wheelspin. Better 1/4-mile times are achieved without power braking.
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Brake torquing does NOT work in any Honda automatic transmission equipped car.
Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for. I had a feeling brake torquing wasn't going to do anything.

I was almost neck to neck with a Sentra SE-R the other day. He had a great launch, having dropped his clutch from 3.5k or so. Everytime he had to shift, I gained on him. We were almost neck to neck but we were going about 95 so I brought it down.

My girlfriend, who was in the car at the time, said I should brake torque, but I told her it wasn't going to do anything. Later when I lost, she brought it up again. She hasn't let it die since.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered Driver

Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for. I had a feeling brake torquing wasn't going to do anything.

I was almost neck to neck with a Sentra SE-R the other day. He had a great launch, having dropped his clutch from 3.5k or so. Everytime he had to shift, I gained on him. We were almost neck to neck but we were going about 95 so I brought it down.

My girlfriend, who was in the car at the time, said I should brake torque, but I told her it wasn't going to do anything. Later when I lost, she brought it up again. She hasn't let it die since.
Your girlfriend just got owned by AZ

My girlfriend would be like wtf are you talking about?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

My girlfriend is pretty cool. She used to drive an old Porsche 911 but that thing eventually became too costly to maintain.

She put a short ram on her car. Actually, she just bought it and told me to install it... So she's not THAT cool.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered Driver

My girlfriend is pretty cool. She used to drive an old Porsche 911 but that thing eventually became too costly to maintain.

She put a short ram on her car. Actually, she just bought it and told me to install it... So she's not THAT cool.
Haha, still a step up from mine. She's cool though, she doesn't mind if I would rather spend time working on my car than with her
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Advanced

well if this helps, my friend neutral dropped his car and the tranny just dropped right out the damn car...
so keep that in mind.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by VulgarDisplayOfPower
well if this helps, my friend neutral dropped his car and the tranny just dropped right out the damn car...
so keep that in mind.
I'm waiting for that to happen to a friend of mine, he beats on his car pretty well.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:28 AM
Racer

A buddy of mine brake torqued his Acura and he actually got worst times than if he were to just smash the throttle.

The problem with the 1st gen TL is that the stall speed is not high enough to take advantage of this method. I believe the torque convertor fully locks up at 1,900RPM. Unless you get Level 10 Torque convertor (if they make it for the TL), you're stuck at 1.9K and that's not really the C32's ideal torque range (read: C32 low end isn't great)
Old 10-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The torque starts to pick up around 3200 rpms

The RL motor might be better suited for such a thing.. but whats the point really?