Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Brake Noise

Saturday I replaced my front pads and rotors on my 98 3.2. I used Ceramic pads and premium rotors. The install went smooth and I must say, I am very satisfied with the job; can hit the breaks at 80 and come to a complete stop without the steering wheel budging or feeling the slightest of vibration.

Nothing is perfect, however, and yesterday I started to notice and annoying scratching like noise coming from the drivers side wheel. Its sounds more or less like a piece of paper stuck in the wheel hitting the caliper every time the wheel makes a revolution. Anyhow, The noise is annoying and I plan on pulling the wheel off tomorrow before work to investigate. The noise dulls but does not go away completely when I hit the brakes.

I'm thinking either the brake caliper is rubbing against the wheel and when I hit the brakes its moving closer to the rotor, hence the quieting of the noise, or a pad or shim may be misalligned. Anyone ever had this happen? Suggestions? Anything would help, like I said I'm checking it out tomorrow so if you read and know of something just drop a line. Thanks-LJMUSHOCK
Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would check the shims.....check your pads for any debris, and make sure that the bolts are torqued to specs. also.....make sure your wheel is on correctly (correct torque, pattern of tightening, etc.)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

SOB! Well on the initial inspection I noticed the shim on the outboard pad (Driver's Side) wheel was slightly crooked. I took the wheel off and the damn shim had managed to work itself off the pad and all the way down to the hub of the rotor. The damn thing had nearly melted from all the heat and put a big black line down the hub... No damage, but I had to do all that work for one stupid thin piece of metal. Anyway, I removed the shim and put a good amount of antisqueal on the back of the pad. Next day off I have Im gonna take them back off and turn em back in at the parts store for a new set. Well at least the hub bearing wasn't bad or anything... With my luck, this is a gift from god.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dubcnea
i would check the shims.....check your pads for any debris, and make sure that the bolts are torqued to specs. also.....make sure your wheel is on correctly (correct torque, pattern of tightening, etc.)
(Check the Shims)--you were dead on, as was I, it helps to have done about 6 import brake jobs before this one-THANKS though!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol....glad you found the problem and it was fixable quickly. nothing better than to get something out of the way quick and painless-like.