Audio System Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio System Recommendations?

I have a 1996 3.2 TL. I believe it has 8 speakers? Anyway, my CD player is starting to say CDPEO a whole lot on a lot of different CDs. Happens I'd say approx 50-75% of the time I try to play a CD. Also, I feel like my speakers distort a lot when I turn them up past the halfway mark or so.

Are these usual problems with our cars?

I have about $200-300 or so to spend and I'm wondering what I should do. I'd like to stay closer to $200 because I am cheap. I am thinking of getting a JVC Head unit for about $150 or so. Would that fix my distortion or would I also need to replace my speakers to fix the distortion when I turn the speakers up?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 PM
LDH
I

Well what are you hoping to get out of the headunit? Just one that plays music? My personal preference in that price range is alpine.

You will probably have to replace your speakers. Once you put in an aftermarket headunit your car only has 4 speakers it no longer has 8. Most headunits only have 4 speaker outputs and on our stock headunits the center channel speakers have their own harness that won't be tapped into your new one.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LDH
Well what are you hoping to get out of the headunit? Just one that plays music? My personal preference in that price range is alpine.

You will probably have to replace your speakers. Once you put in an aftermarket headunit your car only has 4 speakers it no longer has 8. Most headunits only have 4 speaker outputs and on our stock headunits the center channel speakers have their own harness that won't be tapped into your new one.
I am looking to play my CDs because my head unit currently won't read any of my CDs that are on CD-R discs.

Do I need to just clean out the head unit or is our head unit in general bad with CD-R's? Are there any blank CDs which are known to work better?

I am also looking to get clearer sound and be able to crank it up louder without distortion.

If I replace the headunit and the 4 speakers, will my sound most likely be better than the stock stereo or worse due to the lack of 4 speakers?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Try just the headunit.

Stock speakers arent bad really.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 PM
LDH
I

Our stock headunits in general are bad with cd-r and normal cds too. You could just try a new headunit and see how it turns out. The thing is that an aftermarket sends stock speakers more power then the a stock headunit would. But it won't be an issue unless your speakers are always up full blast. It won't be noticeable at first so just get the headunit and if you still don't like how it sounds get speakers.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Instructor

So you guys feel that the 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers getting more power would sound better than all 8 getting the stock headunit's power?

I can probably get a couple Pioneer's up front for like $30 or so, is that not worth it?

And lastly, if the speakers right now are distorting when I turn them up with the current headunit, wouldn't that only get worse with a headunit that is louder? Or is my mentality wrong? Can someone explain please. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Hurricane Game

ok...gotta hit a few points here.

first, when that message comes up on the head unit, like it did on mine as well, i have heard that it either needs a horendous cleaning or it is bout to go bye bye in the playing CDs arena. mine wouldn't play ANY cds when i got the car.

second, getting a new headunit will clean up the sound tremendously. even a lower-end headunit will be more up-to-date and cleaner than the stock unit. now about the distortion, you have to really know what you want to hear. when you are dealing with stock speakers, you're dealing with normally lower wattage units that are decent and normal volumes, but are going to puke at very high ones. is your bass cranked to full? you have to tune it to the sound you want. just turning everything up then cranking it is going to distort any speaker out there, no matter what.

third, i wouldn't even spend the money for new fronts if they are only $30. first of all, if your stock speakers aren't blown, etc. then i'd say just keep em and try em out. second, the lower end speakers are not the like the headunits. you would be replacing blah with blah. they would be new, yes, but in my opinion, not worth the time to pull the door panels off (or worse pay to have them installed. the installation cost would equal speaker cost most likely -- boo hiss).

the good thing about a new HU is that you probably won't even have to turn it up as loud as you think to get the sound you want. the new units today are much more powerful than your stock one. your speakers will be fine if you tune it right...cannot be stressed enough. if you want big bass, realize that it won't come from 2 6.5s and 2 6x9s. if you want decent mid/low/high, then just to the HU and don't turn everything (including volume) up full blast. again, every speaker has a distortion level.

lastly, the 4 speakers that you do not hear now are the 4 tweeters. there are 2 in the dash by the window and 2 above your head in the middle light console. you will not notice a huge difference unless you are very particular and know what to listen for.

i hope this helps and if you have any ?'s or anyone sees something wrong with my post, please lemme know. i want good info to come thru only.

oh, and ps - 99.6% CD-Rs are equal. don't buy the 'music' CDRs...they are the same just with a pretty top part. most normal cd-rs will do just fine in any player that can play burned discs.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LDH

Not entirely tru, your head unit will still be able to play the front doors and tweets in the dash, as well as the rear 6x9's. Most head unit can handle the impedance of the two speaker, since they do have a coil and a cap on the respectively to act as a crossover.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubcnea
ok...gotta hit a few points here.

first, when that message comes up on the head unit, like it did on mine as well, i have heard that it either needs a horendous cleaning or it is bout to go bye bye in the playing CDs arena. mine wouldn't play ANY cds when i got the car.

second, getting a new headunit will clean up the sound tremendously. even a lower-end headunit will be more up-to-date and cleaner than the stock unit. now about the distortion, you have to really know what you want to hear. when you are dealing with stock speakers, you're dealing with normally lower wattage units that are decent and normal volumes, but are going to puke at very high ones. is your bass cranked to full? you have to tune it to the sound you want. just turning everything up then cranking it is going to distort any speaker out there, no matter what.

third, i wouldn't even spend the money for new fronts if they are only $30. first of all, if your stock speakers aren't blown, etc. then i'd say just keep em and try em out. second, the lower end speakers are not the like the headunits. you would be replacing blah with blah. they would be new, yes, but in my opinion, not worth the time to pull the door panels off (or worse pay to have them installed. the installation cost would equal speaker cost most likely -- boo hiss).

the good thing about a new HU is that you probably won't even have to turn it up as loud as you think to get the sound you want. the new units today are much more powerful than your stock one. your speakers will be fine if you tune it right...cannot be stressed enough. if you want big bass, realize that it won't come from 2 6.5s and 2 6x9s. if you want decent mid/low/high, then just to the HU and don't turn everything (including volume) up full blast. again, every speaker has a distortion level.

lastly, the 4 speakers that you do not hear now are the 4 tweeters. there are 2 in the dash by the window and 2 above your head in the middle light console. you will not notice a huge difference unless you are very particular and know what to listen for.

i hope this helps and if you have any ?'s or anyone sees something wrong with my post, please lemme know. i want good info to come thru only.

oh, and ps - 99.6% CD-Rs are equal. don't buy the 'music' CDRs...they are the same just with a pretty top part. most normal cd-rs will do just fine in any player that can play burned discs.
Well said. (except about the music vs. reg. cd-r's...they are NOT the same. My g/f has a NON-COMPUTER based cd recorder (hooked up to stereo system), won't burn to regular cd-r's only works with the music ones. )
Old 01-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unlike most here, I actually LOVE the stock system. The clarity and imaging is excellent and even at loud volumes with decent bass, the speakers dont seem to distort. But anyways, back to the question. Try a lens cleaner, and try using a different brand of burned cd - i have problems with "TDK" and "imation" disks but ALL my memorex disks work A+.

I just bought a headunit for my accord, and did some research: JVC doesnt seem to be a very brand for receivers in your price range. As someone mentioned, Alpine is great. Don't compromise on headunit, it is the centerpiece of your system. I went with a pioneer deh-3600 which i got off ebay for about $75 including shipping (costs about $160 retail). Assuming I had $200 to spend on audio, I would use the rest of the money($125) to invest in some good 2 way component speakers (infinity, alpine, polk - u cant go terribly wrong with these and u could get for around $75) and some good 3 way 6x9 coaxials for the back (around $50).

If more money is available, a decent 4 channel amp would be a sound purchase (no pun intended! -around $50 - $75). And maybe a bazooka tube with a built in amp (around $75-100) can give u that "thump" in ur trunk.

This is just my two cents. The TL has such a great sound system, it would be a shame to screw it up.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Unlike most here, I actually LOVE the stock system. The clarity and imaging is excellent and even at loud volumes with decent bass, the speakers dont seem to distort. But anyways, back to the question. Try a lens cleaner, and try using a different brand of burned cd - i have problems with "TDK" and "imation" disks but ALL my memorex disks work A+.

I just bought a headunit for my accord, and did some research: JVC doesnt seem to be a very brand for receivers in your price range. As someone mentioned, Alpine is great. Don't compromise on headunit, it is the centerpiece of your system. I went with a pioneer deh-3600 which i got off ebay for about $75 including shipping (costs about $160 retail). Assuming I had $200 to spend on audio, I would use the rest of the money($125) to invest in some good 2 way component speakers (infinity, alpine, polk - u cant go terribly wrong with these and u could get for around $75) and some good 3 way 6x9 coaxials for the back (around $50).

If more money is available, a decent 4 channel amp would be a sound purchase (no pun intended! -around $50 - $75). And maybe a bazooka tube with a built in amp (around $75-100) can give u that "thump" in ur trunk.

This is just my two cents. The TL has such a great sound system, it would be a shame to screw it up.
Has using a lens cleaner actually done anything for you? I guess that will be what I try first, along with Memorex stuff. I think I have one sitting around somewhere.

You really think the speakers and headunit are good? I don't know if one of mine is blown but I generally have bass/treble/everything else at medium, about halfway, and when I turn the volume up past about 2/3 it starts distorting hardcore.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Hurricane Game

i think what you're gettin into when you turn it up that loud is one of two things. either the radio is just sending out too much and the speakers are puking on themselves (probably this one, as i will explain after 2nd point). or second, the unit has reached it peak and is now sending a strong signal to the speakers but with not enough power. i think the first is most likely true since i'm sure the Acura techs (hopefully) thought of this when designing the audio system. there would be no point in putting in an underpowered radio that are connected to decent speakers. most likely they would cut the speakers down to match the HU.

anyways, try the cleaner and different discs. i guess i've always had a regular type burner and have always been able to play the CD-Rs in whatever i used. that's why i made the comment about the music CD-Rs. i still think they are semi rip off, but if you need em, you need em.

let us know how the first round goes with cleaning and such.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Instructor

What exactly should I use to clean my stock headunit currently? One of those CD Cleaning CDs that you insert and let run for a few minutes? I think I have one of those sitting around... Or is there better methods?

I've been looking at Car Audio systems all day and I have another question that popped up...

We have 8 speakers in our cars. There are 4 tweeters, 2 front 6.5"s, 2 rear 6x9s.

Are the tweeters chained to the fronts or do they connect to the head unit directly? Best Buy was telling me that if I purchased a new head unit from them, they would only be able to connect my tweeters if they are not chained through the fronts.

I priced out a pretty nice system for $350 installed. 3-way Pioneer fronts, 3-way Pioneer rears, Sony Xplod 4x50 watt CD receiver that looks real nice. I am almost ready to go through with it if the tweeters can be connected also.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rumble
Has using a lens cleaner actually done anything for you? I guess that will be what I try first, along with Memorex stuff. I think I have one sitting around somewhere.

You really think the speakers and headunit are good? I don't know if one of mine is blown but I generally have bass/treble/everything else at medium, about halfway, and when I turn the volume up past about 2/3 it starts distorting hardcore.
I liked the stock system, I just wanted MP3 CD and XM capability.

It was a bit quiet for my tastes, I guess the stock system just needs more power.

The clarity is excellent, treble is amazing and bass is crisp without sounding cheap.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rumble
We have 8 speakers in our cars. There are 4 tweeters, 2 front 6.5"s, 2 rear 6x9s.

Are the tweeters chained to the fronts or do they connect to the head unit directly? Best Buy was telling me that if I purchased a new head unit from them, they would only be able to connect my tweeters if they are not chained through the fronts.
There are only 2 tweeters, the ones under the windshield.

The 2 overhead speakers are midrange

They act as a true center channel with some music, it sounds quite good. I believe they are 2 inch.

If you put an aftermarket headunit in the car, you will be running on 6 speakers. The 2 overhead midranges have their own wiring harness.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
There are only 2 tweeters, the ones under the windshield.

The 2 overhead speakers are midrange

They act as a true center channel with some music, it sounds quite good. I believe they are 2 inch.

If you put an aftermarket headunit in the car, you will be running on 6 speakers. The 2 overhead midranges have their own wiring harness.
What if I get an aftermarket headunit and 3-way fronts? Would I only have 4 speakers then? But, if my fronts are quality 3-ways, I assume I wouldn't really be able to hear the difference or having extra mid-ranges or tweeters?

Ok regardless, first thing I should try is cleaning my current head unit. I will use a lens cleaner CD in 2 weeks when I get to see my car again and respond whether it worked then we will go with upgrades from there...
Old 01-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would still go with a 2 way component system with tweeters and crossovers instead of a 3 way. Much more realistic imaging. As for settings on stock system, I have my treble pointing 5 o clock. Bass at 2 o clock. I dont turn the volume past 1 o clock - more than loud enough for me at this volume.

Again, make sure u look into other headunits - im not a fan of the sonys. Alpine, pioneer, clarion, blaupunkt, all good stuff. For $350 u can do a lot. Hers how I would do it - by no means take offense or do exactly what i say. This is merely a suggestion

2 way component infinty in front, mount tweeter in stock location or in a-pillar.
3 way coaxial in back - infinity..
4 channel amp - not very familiar with good brands, but buy a reputable one. PLEASE dont fall for the 1600 WATTS SUPERPOWER 29 CHANNEL AMP FOR $40!!! Buy a decent brand.
Bazooka tube or sub

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vishnus11
i would still go with a 2 way component system with tweeters and crossovers instead of a 3 way. Much more realistic imaging. As for settings on stock system, I have my treble pointing 5 o clock. Bass at 2 o clock. I dont turn the volume past 1 o clock - more than loud enough for me at this volume.

Again, make sure u look into other headunits - im not a fan of the sonys. Alpine, pioneer, clarion, blaupunkt, all good stuff. For $350 u can do a lot. Hers how I would do it - by no means take offense or do exactly what i say. This is merely a suggestion

2 way component infinty in front, mount tweeter in stock location or in a-pillar.
3 way coaxial in back - infinity..
4 channel amp - not very familiar with good brands, but buy a reputable one. PLEASE dont fall for the 1600 WATTS SUPERPOWER 29 CHANNEL AMP FOR $40!!! Buy a decent brand.
Bazooka tube or sub

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Well I only really get distortion once I turn my volume up past 1 o clock or so. So maybe I am good? I can even turn it up a little higher than that if I am playing rock and not bass heavy stuff.

I will just try cleaning out my CD player and see where things go.