Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever de-cat their car?

Has anyone ever de-catted their car? plz let me know how it went
Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Racer

Could you please be more specific?

Are you talking about replacing the catalytic converter or are you talking about removing the catalytic converter and driving without one? Or do you mean removing the catalytic converter and replacing it with a custom cat back exhaust system?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The Legend guys have done so on several cars. Sure it improves your power, but you have to deal with check engine lights if you dont do it properly. Not to mention its illegal in most locations.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I've got a high-flow that I had to get by uh, some other means. That's the god-damned smog-Nazi state of California for you.

~Cheers~
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sushimaster
Could you please be more specific?

Are you talking about replacing the catalytic converter or are you talking about removing the catalytic converter and driving without one? Or do you mean removing the catalytic converter and replacing it with a custom cat back exhaust system?
i mean taking out the cat and haloing it out urself iv had several friends do that with their nissan's but i was wondering if it would be ok on our car.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
You want to run with a gutted cat? Ugh... Spend the extra money and pick up a CARB-legal high-flow one instead. We don't drive Silvias or Integras here...

~Cheers~

P.S. Basically what I'm saying is, if you're going to do something, do it right.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Go90go
You want to run with a gutted cat? Ugh... Spend the extra money and pick up a CARB-legal high-flow one instead. We don't drive Silvias or Integras here...

~Cheers~

P.S. Basically what I'm saying is, if you're going to do something, do it right.

I'll drink to that.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 AM
98 ThirtyTwo

im currently running a straight pipe i made myself. the power gain is minimal. i've probably picked up 5-7mpg more city/highway. getting rid of the cel was the tricky part.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RhInoSpOrt
im currently running a straight pipe i made myself. the power gain is minimal. i've probably picked up 5-7mpg more city/highway. getting rid of the cel was the tricky part.
whats a "cel"?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by duvaL32TL
whats a "cel"?
Check Engine Light
Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally Posted by duvaL32TL
whats a "cel"?
check engine light

just get a high flow cat.. i did that to my TL.. random technology is who i went with.. just to let you guys know, i was able to barely pass the cali smog test. cats will only give you top end.. the reduction of backpressure of the exhaust system will drop your initial torque.. do not go with a straight pipe.. depending on your state, fines can be up to $1500 and a month impound...(thats what i was told a long time ago from a CHP, could be higher now)..

hp gains will differ with everyone due to their setup... just think of the intake-intake manifold-headers-cat-exhaust (there are others) as a straw... if you blow into a straw and pinch it anywhere, the air flow will be restricted... thus making harder for you to move the air.. if you get and intake without other mods, it will give you minimal gains in hp.. now combine that with an exhaust and both the intake and exhaust and it will give you a higher output... add more components and gain even more...

example: not actual hps gains...

intake only = gains of 2-3hp
exhaust only = gain of 4-5hp
intake + exhaust = 11hp

this is just an example.. the newly added modification will effect the gains on a previously installed parts..

someone posted that they gained mpg but i can't say for sure he is 100% correct.. i'm guessing he got an o2 sim to clear that cel... as for me, i kept my o2 sensor and my car did not throw a cel... i did however notice that my car started to run rich... too rich... o2 sensors detect if the car is running lean or rich and will correct the fuel-to-air ratio accordingly... a high flow cat will most likely cause the car to run rich.. o2 simulators can "bandaid" fix the problem, but a true air fuel controller such as Apexi S-AFC II is recommended to fix the rich or lean conditions.

let us know if anyone here has experienced the same or different effects of getting an aftermarket high flow cat..

to keep it short:

- bad idea to straight pipe or gut out the stock cat(stock is a three way cat, also expenisive).
- go with a high flow cat (techincally, it is illegal to replace the cat unless it's failing/failed in most states)
- lose torque but gain top end
- most likely get worse mpg, but i could be wrong..
Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLxRaCeR
check engine light

just get a high flow cat.. i did that to my TL.. random technology is who i went with.. just to let you guys know, i was able to barely pass the cali smog test. cats will only give you top end.. the reduction of backpressure of the exhaust system will drop your initial torque.. do not go with a straight pipe.. depending on your state, fines can be up to $1500 and a month impound...(thats what i was told a long time ago from a CHP, could be higher now)..

hp gains will differ with everyone due to their setup... just think of the intake-intake manifold-headers-cat-exhaust (there are others) as a straw... if you blow into a straw and pinch it anywhere, the air flow will be restricted... thus making harder for you to move the air.. if you get and intake without other mods, it will give you minimal gains in hp.. now combine that with an exhaust and both the intake and exhaust and it will give you a higher output... add more components and gain even more...

example: not actual hps gains...

intake only = gains of 2-3hp
exhaust only = gain of 4-5hp
intake + exhaust = 11hp

this is just an example.. the newly added modification will effect the gains on a previously installed parts..

someone posted that they gained mpg but i can't say for sure he is 100% correct.. i'm guessing he got an o2 sim to clear that cel... as for me, i kept my o2 sensor and my car did not throw a cel... i did however notice that my car started to run rich... too rich... o2 sensors detect if the car is running lean or rich and will correct the fuel-to-air ratio accordingly... a high flow cat will most likely cause the car to run rich.. o2 simulators can "bandaid" fix the problem, but a true air fuel controller such as Apexi S-AFC II is recommended to fix the rich or lean conditions.

let us know if anyone here has experienced the same or different effects of getting an aftermarket high flow cat..

to keep it short:

- bad idea to straight pipe or gut out the stock cat(stock is a three way cat, also expenisive).
- go with a high flow cat (techincally, it is illegal to replace the cat unless it's failing/failed in most states)
- lose torque but gain top end
- most likely get worse mpg, but i could be wrong..
wow thx that explained it all