another TL bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Overland Park, KS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another TL bites the dust

what is this shit, are people out for tl's or somethin lately?

i got in a wreck last night. it was a green light and there was two other cars coming at me all of us coming to an intersection. the first car turned in front of me with plenty of time and the second one should have waited but instead turned right into me pretty much. i remember being like "holy shit this guy is pulling right out in front of me, it's my right of way". i dont' remember them having their turn signal on otherwise i think i would have at least been watching them.

i don't remember the impact and i must have got a concussion cuz when i came to there were already cops and tow trucks there. i actually got a ticket for running a red light which is bullshit. apparently the people are saying i ran a red light and that they were then coming from the left side of the intersection.

called my insurance and i don't have rental car coverage so i basically don't have a car right now.

i was kinda diggin this ride... damn.

so pyro, any suggestions since you just got in a no fault accident yourself? my main concern is getting the value of the car. i bought it from carmax for 12,600 which i know is expensive but it had new tires, all kinds of service work done early and what not and was in great condition so...

Old 02-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
dammit NnNnNoOoOOOOOoOOOOOOO
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it does not look good at all for the hoem team.....
sever damage...
Old 02-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i really hate to say it but that car is done...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sad to hear bud, I banged up my TL a few weeks ago but nothing major just a few scratches... I remember my wreck when I lost my Jeep... Worst feeling in the world... Look at it this way though, if your in the position to you can now scower the market for a new 1st gen!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Overland Park, KS

well apparently everyone is telling me i'm going to lose out. i payed 12,600 for the car from carmax. kelly blue book has it at 8,000 somethin. there was a lot of maintenance done to it early and it's a '96 with only 81k miles so i don't see 12.6 being that overpriced.

i don't have rental car as part of my policy so i'm w/o a car until... whenever, i dunno.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Racer

Damn!
I bet the airbag deployed also eh?
Usually when the airbags have been deployed, the car should be put to rest.
My Honda Civic had been in this type of accident with the airbag deployed.
At that time I couldn't let go of something I love. So I had it fixed for a 3rd of what the car was bought for. It was 2 years old at the time.
After it was fixed, it looked nice and all that but theres squeeks, noises, and weird symptoms that dealers nor any local auto shops can fix.

If i were you, Id sue the guy and his insurance company to get you a new TL and payoff some of the loan to it. Goodluck.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by loustylez
well apparently everyone is telling me i'm going to lose out. i payed 12,600 for the car from carmax. kelly blue book has it at 8,000 somethin. there was a lot of maintenance done to it early and it's a '96 with only 81k miles so i don't see 12.6 being that overpriced.
I'm sorry, but you got taken. Carmax is quite possibly the worst place ever to buy a car. Honest true story, my friend asked me to go with her to get a car. I tried to talk her out of making a lame decision but she did anyway. She ended up with a 2004 (this was last year) Pontiac Sunfire. At the end of her 7 year payment, it'll be a $26,000 car. Those things sell for $14,000 BRAND NEW. I took a ride in it and I was rolling my own window.

A 1996 is a ten year old car. Cars typically lose 1/3 to 1/2 of their value in the first 4 years. Any major redesign will cut into that value even more. A 2003 TL Type S will go for about 16,000. For only 4,000 more than what you paid on your car, you can get a three year old vehicle with 60 more HP and fresher styling.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Safety Car

yeah that car most likely will be considered "totaled."

I f*cking hate carmax. they give you some shitty price for your car. Of course they don't buy cars that has been damaged in the past.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im honestly sorry to hear that we've lost another first gen. At least you OK, and thats what's important. Im interested in hearing how the car "performed" in the collision ... i.e. did the bags deploy, how fast were u hit, and how did the car hold up.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
808 TL Scene Photographer

oh dude sorry to hear bout the accident man..... main thing is that you are ok and not injured bad....
Old 02-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered Driver

To be honest, I haven't heard a whole lot about my accident and what the insurance companies have to say.

I would be suprised if they didn't total your car. I can get the list for you this weekend of what they did for it, and the pictures are posted in another thread, and that came out to $39xx to fix.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 AM
giggity giggity giggity

That my friend is totalled. Also, were there any cameras at the intersection, or maybe at a local business that showed the intersection? To me, it's hard to miss a red light, so you should know if the light was red..those people probably lied to cover their asses. Any other witnesses besides the people who turned in front of you? Even if it was red, then they ran the light too.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Overland Park, KS

so get this...

i found a piece of paper in my pocket with a girl's name on it and a number the next morning. i called it and some kid answered and i asked if anyone had been in an accident last night and the kid was obviously clueless. later that day this girl calls and said that her and some friends saw everything and that they're totally on my side. the first car that went through the intersection was the boyfriend of the girl i hit.

apparently i had talked to "my" witnesses and this girl's boyfriend and all kinds of stuff but i don't remember a thing. i don't remember anything from just before the impact to the point where all the tow trucks and police were there. not a thing. that's about 20-30 mins unaccounted for.

so, i now have witnesses and this should all work out ok.

answering some questions: yes, the airbags did deploy, both driver and passenger. i was going 35mph and i'm assuming these other people were going a little slower since they probably slowed down a bit for the turn. so they say that's like hitting a wall at 60mph right?

yah i know i payed more for the car than it's worth, but like i did it because i knew the car was in tip top shape, it had a lot of early service work done to it, low miles for the year and was in good shape. *shrug*. maybe i'll learn from this experience.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Driver

Sounds like a mess man, best of luck witht he car/insurance, I hope you guys can get something in your favor figured out.

Do you think you will be going with another TL?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Overland Park, KS

i'm just gonna have to wait to see how much money i'll get out of this, or if they're going to fix my car. if i don't get what i paid for my car + the warranty + tint then i'm suing the other people for the difference. i'd rather not sue somebody. it's not personal, i'm just not going to lose anything because some stupid bitch wasn't paying attention and ran into me.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Don't worry about hurting feelings...you are entitled to the money you deserve. It's not like you are trying to get millions out of it. Also, glad that someone saw the whole thing because it does sound very fishy. The police probably talked to the other people while you were in a daze and just took their word for it. Hopefully the people who turned will get what they deserve and you..well, hopefully you will get your $$ back.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear you are basically alright. Follow up on the medical care as well.

But, in all honesty regarding insurance and your car, they'll go by the book. About the only thing you can argue if it turns out to be in your favor is what it would take to get a same year, similar mileage vehicle. You can argue your case with ads.

What you have added to the vehicle is not typically paid for out of a settlement.

BTW, I'd say it is way totalled.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackjum
A 1996 is a ten year old car. Cars typically lose 1/3 to 1/2 of their value in the first 4 years. Any major redesign will cut into that value even more. A 2003 TL Type S will go for about 16,000. For only 4,000 more than what you paid on your car, you can get a three year old vehicle with 60 more HP and fresher styling.
To make it worse, it is really considered an 11 year old car in the business. Depending on the mfr date, it could have been built in 95. Then because there are actually some 07 vehicles out now - some 96 model year vehicles are considered 12 year old in the recycle business.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Overland Park, KS

well they considered it totaled. funny part is, i heard this from the tow company that called to make sure i had everything out of it i wanted, not my insurance company. anyway, now it's on to them decided who was at fault. then, my insurance company will make a claim and then i decide whether to take that claim, have them make me another claim if i don't think it's enough, or decline it and sue the other party for everything.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Driver

If you are able to, I'm looking for some interior parts..

Good luck with it man, hope it goes well.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Overland Park, KS

i didn't have time to get anything out of the car. it's been considered totaled. i was barely able to get my speakers out and the shit that was left in there. sorry fellas.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Pro

so get this...

i found a piece of paper in my pocket with a girl's name on it and a number the next morning. i called it and some kid answered and i asked if anyone had been in an accident last night and the kid was obviously clueless. later that day this girl calls and said that her and some friends saw everything and that they're totally on my side. the first car that went through the intersection was the boyfriend of the girl i hit.
apparently i had talked to "my" witnesses and this girl's boyfriend and all kinds of stuff but i don't remember a thing. i don't remember anything from just before the impact to the point where all the tow trucks and police were there. not a thing. that's about 20-30 mins unaccounted for.

so, i now have witnesses and this should all work out ok.

answering some questions: yes, the airbags did deploy, both driver and passenger. i was going 35mph and i'm assuming these other people were going a little slower since they probably slowed down a bit for the turn. so they say that's like hitting a wall at 60mph right?

yah i know i payed more for the car than it's worth, but like i did it because i knew the car was in tip top shape, it had a lot of early service work done to it, low miles for the year and was in good shape. *shrug*. maybe i'll learn from this experience.
take this advice from someone who went thru 3 years of criminal collage courses.... DONT SAY "THE CAR I HIT" TO ANYONE........ your gonna be taken for someone who really knows its yur fault and hat little flaw can actually really hurt you in court. stupid but what can i say. WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICAS LEGAL SYSTEM!!!! also sorry for the car but i to agree saying its totaled. also i hope to see you in the 1st or 2nd gen forum soon!!! keep it tl man!!!! also im very glas to see your ok. thats the most important thing. are you sure they were only going 30-35?? thats crumbled for only going that fast dude
Old 02-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered Driver

Any new word on the car?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah man that sucks. Hopefully the lawyers will side with you on this one. The car is def totalled. The same thing happened to me last summer with my beater car. It's a pain in the ass. But I got pretty lucky and the insurance money bought my TL. Good luck
Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Racer

i didn't have time to get anything out of the car. it's been considered totaled. i was barely able to get my speakers out and the shit that was left in there. sorry fellas.
No technically, you have all the time in the world. That is unless you have signed your title over to your insurance company.

Technically the vehicle is yours until you sign it over and receive a payment for it. Which by the way closes your deal with the insurance company, and basically ends negotiation on the value estimation.

You also are able to buy it back for a fraction of the totalled value. Yes, you can buy your vehicle for about a dime on the buck, and typically the insurance company will give you the right to do so. Some may tell you what others are willing to buy it for, and you go up against wholesale recyclers (junkyards).

The vehicle will typically have a salvage certificate associated with it.

But, yes, you can get the car, and perhaps keep some parts for another car you want to buy, or part the sucker out.

If you can do this - I'm interested in a few items, and request first dibs - I'll help you through getting the car if you want - just PM me

If I was closer to you, I'd offer to buy the whole thing.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Overland Park, KS

so...

insurance screwed me because i paid too much for the car. ended up getting a ticket for running a red light even though my insurance declared me not at fault because i had witnesses. i ended up pleading guilty to an ammended charge because it would stay off my record and i just wanted it all to be done with.

this is what i ended up getting.

when i got it

then painted the lowers (front and back)

then, new grille and clear corners

then put the $1500 bilstein pss9's on look up and down to notice the new height.

the 2.5 was a great car. tranny shifted a little rough, that was my only beef. i would have kept that car for a while and put the carputer in it and been a very happy owner. it was very comfortable. however...

i've wanted an A4 for a couple years so i feel like it all worked out better in a way. i love this car. i'll probably move on to another B5 after this car too. this one is an automatic because i was rushed to get a car and just happen to find this one. i'd either get a manual 1.8T and start modding all the way to the top or nab an S4 and get a daily driver/beater and keep the S4 with low miles as a classic car in like 40 years
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Pretty clean, smoke those left and right though, hehe. I'm feeling the overall appearance, but I think new rims are in order, .

~Cheers~
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Racer

Looks great. The only thing I would do is paint the side lower valences the way you did the front and rear.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ It'd make the car look a bit better. That's one thing that I plan to do myself, as I saw it on Undyroos' car.

~Cheers~
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Go90go
^ It'd make the car look a bit better. That's one thing that I plan to do myself, as I saw it on Undyroos' car.

~Cheers~
I painted the lower valence along with factory mud guards. (all off the car. I really like it much better. Taped a line just under the edge so the lower part that you don't see is still black - that way I'm not waxing the bottom of the car...

Bought spray bombs mixed to the color code. Was able to get base coat/clear coat in spray bombs and ended up costing less than getting a quarts worth of base coat clear coat and shooting it through my gun. That and I did not have to clean it up.

Remember to use Bulldog adhesion promotor, prime, base, then clear.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Nice audi. Sucks what happened to your TL. Same thing happened to me 3 years ago although the insurance took my claim and the other guy was at fault. Anyways your Audi is nice my lil bro has a 2001 A4 2.8 quattro.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
10th Gear

Sorry but...

Hey man- very sorry for your lost. I almost got there the other day on a snowy drive. got lucky.

Still and sorry to ask. Was the passenger headlight spare? i need one. Of course if you are selling and they declare the car totalled.

Thanks,
Mario
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM
1996 Acura 2.5TL New 0wn

Sorry about your wreck dude. Before this forum I belonged to the Lincoln Mark VIII forum for 8 years. That car finally died. Dead. I wanted to actually bury it and take some pieces home with me. Guys and Cars Oh My!
I have an honest dealer with about 500 references he could give you but my sister and I are two of them. He sold me his 96 2.5TL for $4500 (88,000 miles) with a current book of $6500.
Why did he do that?
One he knows we never get what the book says so he is very honest and makes lifelong customers.
He is on Second Street in Manchester, NH. Call him and tell him you want a Acura and he will find and rebuild one if he has to. I swear that I have no connection to him whatsoever except as a customer.
He is Freddie Fricker (no laughing)
Grenier Hydralics
603-296-0059
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
1996 Acura 2.5TL New 0wn

Oh One last note: You paid way too much. If you ever want to see what a car is going for in the world. Go to Autotrader.com and look for your car.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
-glock security-

the car could have been hit, replaced engine, flood, fire, several things first off.

i am gonna tell you, that acura was not totalled. there is no way. someone could pick that up from the auction, $150. and get the front end parts. granted they have time, place, equipment, and of corse know how. from prior work at dealerships i have seen shit way worse than that being rebuilt.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Htown slab rider

same here man, just not as bad but need frame alignment, fender, left headlight and more...sucks
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
-glock security-

yeah i mean i am not sayng its like putting in a light bulb.

just not tottally write off. i have some pics of me getting hit (not acura) and rolling to the point of seriously nothing left. hurt for 2 weeks as well