Water getting into trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023 | 06:36 PM
5th Gear

Water getting into trunk

Hey yall, so I’m guessing I figured out what killed my cd changer. Seems there’s some random water getting into my trunk from some place, seems to be happening on both sides.

I do have a sunroof, but is there any other things I need to look for? Seems to be coming in above where the trunk floor “pockets” are and possibly more inboard (I had CDs in one of those storage areas that got wet, and I’ve had stuff all over the trunk be damp)

Can yall point me in the direction of any common causes (I think I’ll try to snake the sunroof soon, if I can find the drain holes up top) and fixes please? I really would like to be able to use my trunk as a trunk and not a swamp
Old 12-27-2023 | 10:22 AM
mrgold35

It has been a common issue with 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Gen MDXs with clogged, pinched, or poor weld seams causing leaks under the front passenger floor mats and rear hatch area. I purchased an used 18 RLX and noticed water in my donut spare area when I needed to use my spare for the first time. Took it to Acura and they figured out my RLX was in an unreported rear end accident and the rear bumper was replaced and repainted. The installer forgot to install the plugs in the hatch area causing rain and water from a car wash to accumulate in the donut spare wheel well. I don't know the location(s) of the plugs to double-check on your model year.
Old 01-08-2024 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Default
Hey yall, so I’m guessing I figured out what killed my cd changer. Seems there’s some random water getting into my trunk from some place, seems to be happening on both sides.

I do have a sunroof, but is there any other things I need to look for? Seems to be coming in above where the trunk floor “pockets” are and possibly more inboard (I had CDs in one of those storage areas that got wet, and I’ve had stuff all over the trunk be damp)

Can yall point me in the direction of any common causes (I think I’ll try to snake the sunroof soon, if I can find the drain holes up top) and fixes please? I really would like to be able to use my trunk as a trunk and not a swamp
Check the bottom molding strip for the rear window, the rear of the trunk lid closes down on it and if it's worn, or the lid doesn't seal tight against it you maybe getting water in to your trunk that way.

Molding Assembly, Rear Windshield (Lower) - Acura (73251-SZ3-013)