Replacing Battery - How hard is it? Do's and Dont's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Battery - How hard is it? Do's and Dont's?

Hey guys,

How hard is it to replace a battery in 2000 RL? Also, what battery should I replace it with? What do I need to look out for? radio code, etc...? DIY, anyone? Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Most auto parts stores will install a battery if you buy it from them for free (plus you need to turn your old battery in to them for the core charge anyways). But if you are going to do it it's a pretty straight forward process. NAPA's "Premium Select" batteries are rated #1 by Consumers Reports and they run about $80.00. Always disconnect the negative (-) cable first when removing a battery making sure it does not touch any metal surfaces when disconnected. Then remove the positive (+) cable and remove old battery. Install new battery and connect negative (-) cable first then positive (+) cable and tighten them both. As you noted when the battery is replaced you will need the 5 digit anti-theft code to get your radio to work again. Additionally the engine computer will need to "re-learn" the "idle control" after replacing the battery. To do this you must first turn off the climate control system and then start the engine. Let the engine run until the engine warms up (listen for the radiator cooling fan to come on at least twice) and then let the engine "idle" for another 5 min's. You will also have to "reprogram" your memory settings for the seats, mirrors and steering wheel when the battery is replaced.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000RL
Additionally the engine computer will need to "re-learn" the "idle control" after replacing the battery. To do this you must first turn off the climate control system and then start the engine. Let the engine run until the engine warms up (listen for the radiator cooling fan to come on at least twice) and then let the engine "idle" for another 5 min's. You will also have to "reprogram" your memory settings for the seats, mirrors and steering wheel when the battery is replaced.
Thanks for the response, appreciate it. This was what I was afraid of. If I buy the Napa battery, will they do all of the above or do I still have to do it?

Also, I would like to replace with a Interstate 5 year battery. Which of the major auto parts stores carry these do you know?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Sears,
Napa auto
just google it.....

I too buy Interstate batteries as replacements. Only pItA is if you have NAVI it take more time to sync with the satellite. Radio code is required also....it is an easy DIY task.....
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Instructor

I was told by a mechanic that you can just leave the car running and switch out the old battery with the new battery and you don't have to worry about the radio codes, etc...when you take the battery out, the car still stays running from the alternator!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
While that is "not" a recommended procedure for changing a battery the mechanic is right. It is "do-able" that way but you now take a "one man" project and turn it in to a "two man" project. Someone to remove and hold the cables to ensure they do not make any contact with metal surfaces while the engine is running while the other person removes the old battery and installs the new one. Bearing in mind that the battery box is a tight fit and the cables are very short on this model. A lot of work to avoid re-entering the radio code and idling the engine in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with 2000RL. There are too many things that can go wrong... I bought my RL used with 48k on it and it had the original battery. That went at about 100k and I bought a replacement at Walmart. That one lasted the next 6 years and another 150k...