Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Radiator Leak

Hi guys. I noticed a while back that i have a hairline crack on the top of my radiator. Now i don't get a smell and only a little bit leaks out and i monitor the coolant. This probably happened when i had my accident( got sandwiched). I was wondering if the radiator stop leak additives would work or if anyone knew anything about this. If i can avoid replacing the radiator i would like to. I plan on getting a new car maybe next year so im trying to save. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
sorry no clue...just change the radiator lol only $240.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are handy, you can do it yourself. There are a lot of connections, but it is not too complicated. I bought a new one for $175 but I see them on ebaymotors for less now. (search ebaymotors.com for "Acura RL radiator" and there are two with $69 and $92 buy-it-now pricing). I can send you a diagram of how the radiator install is done if needed (seamusnh@gmail.com).

If you decide to live with it, keep a jug of coolant in the trunk and check the fluid level often. Keep an eye on that temp gauge as well. When you go to sell, most buyers will check under the hood and the smell of antifreeze leaking is pretty obvious... To me, it is much better to say the car has a new radiator when selling.

BTW, the hairline crack is common in the early RL's. Cheap plastic radiator housing. On mine, the crack was on the right side, on the front of the top housing, going from about 6 inches to the right of the radiator cap and extending about 8 inches to the right. I have encountered a few RL owners who have had the same problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Instructor

take it to a radiator shop. They can braize it for you and then do a leak test. Should be 100 or so.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lorcan
If you are handy, you can do it yourself. There are a lot of connections, but it is not too complicated. I bought a new one for $175 but I see them on ebaymotors for less now. (search ebaymotors.com for "Acura RL radiator" and there are two with $69 and $92 buy-it-now pricing). I can send you a diagram of how the radiator install is done if needed (seamusnh@gmail.com).

If you decide to live with it, keep a jug of coolant in the trunk and check the fluid level often. Keep an eye on that temp gauge as well. When you go to sell, most buyers will check under the hood and the smell of antifreeze leaking is pretty obvious... To me, it is much better to say the car has a new radiator when selling.

BTW, the hairline crack is common in the early RL's. Cheap plastic radiator housing. On mine, the crack was on the right side, on the front of the top housing, going from about 6 inches to the right of the radiator cap and extending about 8 inches to the right. I have encountered a few RL owners who have had the same problem.
I will most likely replace the radiator but im a tad strapped for cash right now. I didn't know you can get a radiator for that cheap off ebay. I tend to try and stay away from those because maybe it is them wrong item. I found one on Rockauto for 132 w/o shipping. Thanks for your replies!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lorcan

I will most likely replace the radiator but im a tad strapped for cash right now. I didn't know you can get a radiator for that cheap off ebay. I tend to try and stay away from those because maybe it is them wrong item. I found one on Rockauto for 132 w/o shipping. Thanks for your replies!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
7th Gear

Arrow who can make the best

im actually interested who can make the best Wig, i think the one to get the best Lace Wigs is one with its own music and properly edited. besides Cosplay Wigs Fashion Wigs age of conan gold