Power wire for aftermarket amp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Power wire for aftermarket amp.

Hi guy, I'm in the process to install an amp for my car but I'm stuck where to run the power wire. The firewall is so crowded and there is no rubber grommet that I can run the wire to. I don't want to drill a hole because as you know, the car has a lots of wires under the steering wheel. So I'm thinking to run the wire between the fender and the door panel like in the pic below. Is this a good place to run the power wire?
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 02-23-2013 | 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would not mount it like that. Theres a good chance it will get pinched wearing down the insulation down to the wire causing a short which could lead to a fire.

If you cannot find something along the firewall you can run it through the wheel well.

If you take off the innar splash guard in the wheel well the oem harness runs through there. zip tie your cable to it and run it into the boddy behind the fender. Only problem with that is that it spits out the wires behind the fuse box and you will probably have a hard time getting it through.
Old 02-25-2013 | 12:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
I would not mount it like that. Theres a good chance it will get pinched wearing down the insulation down to the wire causing a short which could lead to a fire.

If you cannot find something along the firewall you can run it through the wheel well.

If you take off the innar splash guard in the wheel well the oem harness runs through there. zip tie your cable to it and run it into the boddy behind the fender. Only problem with that is that it spits out the wires behind the fuse box and you will probably have a hard time getting it through.
Thanks, I think I've found where to run the wire. If it doesn't then I'll try your method. I have to wait until next week to run the wire, have a exam coming up
Old 03-08-2013 | 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I tried to run the wire through the grommet on top of the brake master cylinder, failed. So I spent another 2 hrs to remove the splash guard and try to figure out how to remove the grommet. But I have no idea how to remove the grommet, I tried with the flat head Philip and still it did not bother to come off. Is there an easy way to remove the grommet? I don't want to splice it with a knife! Here is a pic of the grommet from the fender well.
Old 03-08-2013 | 10:24 PM
Racer

No need to remove the gromet. I ran a wire through there. It sucks, alot, too. Take some masking tape and tape the end of the wire you want to run through to the end of a straightened out wire hanger. Then, very carefully, as to make sure you do not damage any other wire begin feeding the coat hanger through the gromet. Then you got it!

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2013 | 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I still don't get it lol plz forgive me. How were you possible to run the wire without remove the grommet? The grommet is basically blocking the hole alone with the wires, so there is no way you can run additional wire to it. Unless you have to poke a hole and make clearance for the power wire. Did you have to poke any hole at all or you just feed it straight through it. Because the way I see the grommet it was completely block. I don't know I guess I need to double check it once more time before take it to the audio shop so they rape me Please take a look at the pic, and tell me what exactly how you did it. So once the wire is inside the car, is it behide the fuse box and how hard to run them.Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013 | 02:06 PM
10th Gear

How to run power amp wire Acura RL 3.5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94286463@N05/8583766088/

1.first remove fender liner

2.from engine bay through fender (above driver wheel) there is a small opening

3.then through rubber grommet (use a flat to pop off) then you can poke a hole through it and not splice any cables, as well as run it. (use flat to help pop back in rubber grommet)

4.should come out right below your fuse box on the driver side next to the foot rest. (use flashlight to see if it doesnt stick out and pull it out)
Old 03-23-2013 | 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
Ok, I still don't get it lol plz forgive me. How were you possible to run the wire without remove the grommet? The grommet is basically blocking the hole alone with the wires, so there is no way you can run additional wire to it. Unless you have to poke a hole and make clearance for the power wire. Did you have to poke any hole at all or you just feed it straight through it. Because the way I see the grommet it was completely block. I don't know I guess I need to double check it once more time before take it to the audio shop so they rape me Please take a look at the pic, and tell me what exactly how you did it. So once the wire is inside the car, is it behide the fuse box and how hard to run them.Thanks.
forgot to "quote" you but I added a picture of what I did. Hope it Helps
Old 03-23-2013 | 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CityRL00
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94286463@N05/8583766088/

1.first remove fender liner

2.from engine bay through fender (above driver wheel) there is a small opening

3.then through rubber grommet (use a flat to pop off) then you can poke a hole through it and not splice any cables, as well as run it. (use flat to help pop back in rubber grommet)

4.should come out right below your fuse box on the driver side next to the foot rest. (use flashlight to see if it doesnt stick out and pull it out)
Thanks! How did you managed to remove the grommet like from the pic? I also used a flat head try to pry it off but it did not come loose. It look like you poked a hole into the grommet and also where did you ground the ground cable in the trunk? Did you turn the wheel to the left?
Old 03-24-2013 | 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Thanks! How did you managed to remove the grommet like from the pic? I also used a flat head try to pry it off but it did not come loose. It look like you poked a hole into the grommet and also where did you ground the ground cable in the trunk? Did you turn the wheel to the left?
1. yes turned wheel to the left

2. with the flat just pry off around the grommet as much as you can then pull. Mine was a little hard so I had pull pretty hard.

3. I did poke a hole through the grommet. otherwise you cant put it back on properly. when you run the wire through the grommet it will be a little hard because they are both rubber.

4. remove the storage bin in the trunk on the right side. get a little sandpaper and sand enough paint off on the bottom hole where the screw goes. before you screw it back in just attach your ground. worked for me. easier if there is a "terminal" I believe its called? on the end of that ground and put the screw through it first then screw it in to the trunk.

hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2013 | 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

OMG, I finally finished running all the wires inside the car and it took me almost 5 hours, yes I want it to be perfect lol. I have not install the amp and the sub yet, I plan to get it install tomorrow and mount them in place. I spent almost an hour just to remove the grommet and try to figure where the hell is the power wire from the kicker panel It wasn't fun! Anyway, i'll post pic once I completed.
Old 03-25-2013 | 08:00 AM
3rd Gear

I don't know if I missed it but did you run the amp wire through the trunk and seats or under the seats? My brother told me that he is going to run it under the carpets under the seats? Does that make any sense?
Old 03-25-2013 | 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, here is how I ran the wire. I ran the power cable from the grommet( remove fender liner) to the kicker panel. I covered the cable under the carpet along the door. I couldnt remove the rear seat, so I just lose the rear seat a little so I have some room for the cable. The cable was between the seat and the carpet, not under the carpet, then to the trunk. I couldn't figure out how to mount the amp yet
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

This is my first set up and it sound good. I only turn the volume up at 13 because it is loud inside the car. The amp(240RMS @ 4ohm bridged) is a little powerful compare to the sub (200RMS 4ohm). Does anyone know how to set the gain on the amp with a DMM? Thx.
Old 03-28-2013 | 09:36 AM
10th Gear

This is my first set up and it sound good. I only turn the volume up at 13 because it is loud inside the car. The amp(240RMS @ 4ohm bridged) is a little powerful compare to the sub (200RMS 4ohm). Does anyone know how to set the gain on the amp with a DMM? Thx.
That's good man, I hope I was of some help and im glad you got your system up and running. I thought I put my two cents in because I had the same trouble running my power wire about two weeks ago and came up with little resources after searching.
Old 03-28-2013 | 09:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jaluzzi1
I don't know if I missed it but did you run the amp wire through the trunk and seats or under the seats? My brother told me that he is going to run it under the carpets under the seats? Does that make any sense?
I took off my seats. There is a tab under the bottom seat on each side. You have to pull the tab and pull the seat up at the same time. I believe there is a bolt or two as well behind the bottom seats? Dont remember but it really wasnt hard to do. If you want to remove the rear upper seats, You have to raise your rear head rest and in the slit there is a bolt 10mm If im not mistaken and unbolt it (long 10mm and extension will help with this process)
Old 03-28-2013 | 09:44 AM
10th Gear

I'm thinking of doing a DIY if there isnt already one or at least an updated one with a lot of photos. It would help with the install of rear struts too since you have to remove the rear seats as well. What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2013 | 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Just post it dude, since a lots of people starting to do this anyway. I'm too lazy to write a DIY, plus I did not take a lots of pics. I actually broke one of the tap under the seat. I didn't realize that you have to pull the tab forward then the seat up, oh well lol.
Old 03-29-2013 | 10:14 AM
10th Gear

Just post it dude, since a lots of people starting to do this anyway. I'm too lazy to write a DIY, plus I did not take a lots of pics. I actually broke one of the tap under the seat. I didn't realize that you have to pull the tab forward then the seat up, oh well lol.
yea I almost broke a tab too lol. Your right though im going to try and contribute the little that I know for those who are having a hard time and those who will need it in the future. I know I had a hard time searching for it.

I also found a wiring diagram for our bose amp which may help those who are audio savvy.