My 2004 RL Audio Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM
That's what she said!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2004 RL Audio Build Thread

I have finally been able to make some headway on my install. This is going into my every day driver, a car that I haven't seen before on this forum before. The car is really comfortable and drives great but the OEM Bose system has always sounded lacking something (shocking, right?).

From the factory the car has a three way system in the front doors, rear door speakers and two 6x9's in the deck functioning as subs. The oem stereo/nav system outputs a full range four channel low voltage signal to the Bose amp. From there the Bose handles volume compensation, crossover, eq, etc... I want to keep the system as simple as possible, because, well my install skills are limited, and if I ever want to sell the car I can go back to stock easily. I also didn't want to lose access to my spare.

My system design was to keep the OEM source since there is really no aftermarket support for the car and since I am getting a flat full range signal from it. The only problem with the signal is that it is extremely low voltage so I am using a Audiocontrol Overdrive to boost up two channels which will feed the entire system. From there signal will be handled by an Audiocontrol EQX, then on to the amps. A Soundstream Van Gogh 320.4 bridged for the component speakers (running passive), and a Alpine MRD-M605 for subwoofer duty.

Speakers will be a set of Eclipse SC-8365 3-Ways that I got on super-closeout last year. Subs will be one or two old school Infinity Kappa 120.1se (the mint green ones).

On to the pics:

This is the rear MDF panel which I have done all of my power wiring, remote turn on relay, and line driver. The big black box is the Bose amp, which will be on its way out shortly. What you cant see is how I tapped the low level going into the amp.

Sitting in front of that panel is my amp board. Notched and cutout to fit.

Same shot, a little further out.

Thats all for this weekend. Subs and components coming soon.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I love Audio Controls Sound processor offerings. I had LC7 in my 08 Accord EX-L w/ Navi.
I think im done doing big audio upgrades from this point forward. However i did call audio control begging them to do a Dolby 6.1 processor he he. If that happens i could possibly be back in the game. I just feel i trade cars too fast to fully enjoy my audio upgrades.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Interesting..
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I love Audio Controls Sound processor offerings. I had LC7 in my 08 Accord EX-L w/ Navi.
I think im done doing big audio upgrades from this point forward. However i did call audio control begging them to do a Dolby 6.1 processor he he. If that happens i could possibly be back in the game. I just feel i trade cars too fast to fully enjoy my audio upgrades.
I know what you mean. My last vehicle, a '02 Tacoma, I sold it about three months after I finished my system install. Often the fun is in the planning and install rather than the actual use!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Universal Soldier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice man. Hope to see more. Makes me really want to get up on my game!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I applaud you for keeping everything neat and tidy. Glad to see some others doing more than just adding some subs to their cars. If you do decide to get an aftermarket HU, check out Beat Sonic USA. They, are the only ones that make a kit for our cars. Fit and finish is oem, and it comes with the wiring harnesses. keep the pictures coming!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by Jimmay
I applaud you for keeping everything neat and tidy. Glad to see some others doing more than just adding some subs to their cars. If you do decide to get an aftermarket HU, check out Beat Sonic USA. They, are the only ones that make a kit for our cars. Fit and finish is oem, and it comes with the wiring harnesses. keep the pictures coming!
Thanks Jimmay! For me with system design and install, everything starts with having rock solid wiring. If it's done well, you shouldn't have to worry about it. To that point I am still worried of how I am going to connect my power cable to the positive terminal of the battery. As is typical with Honda's, my car has a large metal connector that crimps on to the car's main power cable. I have no idea as to yet how I am going to deal with that running into a aftermarket battery terminal, any ideas?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JAX_RL_3.5
Thanks Jimmay! For me with system design and install, everything starts with having rock solid wiring. If it's done well, you shouldn't have to worry about it. To that point I am still worried of how I am going to connect my power cable to the positive terminal of the battery. As is typical with Honda's, my car has a large metal connector that crimps on to the car's main power cable. I have no idea as to yet how I am going to deal with that running into a aftermarket battery terminal, any ideas?
Well, what i did(because i didnt want to spend money on terminals, which im probably going to do) is bought marine terminals with a quick disconnect. I cut part of the connector off so i could bolt it to the terminal. All of my power runs can easily be taken off if needed.I can get you a picture of it.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by Jimmay
Well, what i did(because i didnt want to spend money on terminals, which im probably going to do) is bought marine terminals with a quick disconnect. I cut part of the connector off so i could bolt it to the terminal. All of my power runs can easily be taken off if needed.I can get you a picture of it.
Pics would be helpful.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM
That's what she said!

It may be another week or two before I post any updates. Been busy with work and family life.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did it cost you and did you use the stock head unit?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by Eljefe1981
How much did it cost you and did you use the stock head unit?
Lets see if I can break this down:
SoundStream 320.4 - $350 6 or 7 years ago
Alpine Amp - $80 on Craigslist two years ago
AC Overdrive - $50 from DIYMA Classifieds
AC EQX - $100 from DIYMA Classifieds
Eclipse Components - $200 SonicElectronix last year
Amp Kit - $100 Knukonceptz
Misc Wiring/Blocks ~ $100
Subs - $Free!
Sound Deadning - $50

As you can see, I didn't go out to the store and buy all this stuff new at one time. There are good deals out there if you search and you are willing to buy second hand. If you really want an education register as a member of diymobileaudio.com, read alot and ask questions. Much of the equipment I am using I used in previous installs. I am also using the OEM source. 2004 RL's are not easy to replace the HU.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Good job man.

I appreciate the work your doing since its pretty much what im doing as well. I have all my speakers/amps/video switches/line drivers/etc sitting in a closet somewhere. I figure I need to spend about 300 in cables to get everything set up nicely.

I know what you mean about the planing being fun though. I have this whole system wired up in my head already. lol Its also hard when its your main car. Have to take the family out and stuff and its kinda hard to do with no interior in the car. lol
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
That's what she said!

Just a brief update. I have spent the last two weeks trying to figure out how to get my 6.5's in the door. Bottom line - it's not happening. My 6.5's were just too deep and building a spacer would have only interfered with the door panel. If anyone is interested you have about 2-5/8" - 2-3/4" worth of space to mount your mids keeping the stock configuration. I suppose anything is possible had I been more willing to modifiy the door panel and the speaker grill. I am keeping 2/3 of my component set and will be running a set of DIY 5.5" Silver Flute drivers in place of the Eclipse 6.5's. They should be here over the weekend, will add more pics then.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Good info to know.

How about the rear doors, have you test fit anything there?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
Good info to know.

How about the rear doors, have you test fit anything there?
No I haven't. IMO the rear door speakers are way to close to the front seats and would completly throw off the imaging. I would only run the rear door speakers if I had a DSP that would allow me to set a delay for them.