Does adding a cold air intake make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does adding a cold air intake make a difference?

I want to add more power to my car and I was wondering if a cold air intake would help and if so whats the best one to get?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Cold Air intakes, if they work, definitely do increase HP.

For every 11 degrees ambient temperature drop, horsepower will increase 1 percent.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Cold Air intakes, if they work, definitely do increase HP.

For every 11 degrees ambient temperature drop, horsepower will increase 1 percent.
Thanks for the reply do you know what the best brand is and would I have to make any modifications in order to use it.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll step in the line of fire and say that for the most part, a CAI is the same all around. They are all tubes with a filter on the end. Granted, there are dry filters, and wet filters. Some tubes are longer than others. Some are blue, and some red.

Personally I have the K&N typhoon. It's a 2 piece tube set with a rubber damper in the middle. Technically it would be considered a cold air intake, or a ram air - depending on which pieces of tubing I used.

As for the filters - I don't know that either one is really any better than another. One semi-cautionary bit of advice for you though, is the so-called wet filters use an oil to catch dirt. They should be fine from the get go. But when you go out and buy a cleaning kit, and dump a quart of oil on the filter rather than just wetting it - then you can run into problems by sucking up droplets of oil into your intake. So I guess this may make a dry filter better? I dunno - but at least if something gets messed up, you can only blame yourself. This makes things easier for me to handle.. lol

So everyone is going to chime in with their about how great AEM or Injen is. Some people are even buying cheap kits from ebay and buying a nice filter - figuring a metal pipe is a metal pipe - its the filter thats protecting the car.

As for mounting - no modding is necessary as long as you buy one that is for your car. If you get a generic from ebay, I can't say much except you get what you pay for.

Is it worth it - hell yea. I think cost wise - CAI and a lighter pulley are the 2 places that you should be starting unless you plan on dropping a cool grand right off the bat.

G/L
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I'll step in the line of fire and say that for the most part, a CAI is the same all around. They are all tubes with a filter on the end. Granted, there are dry filters, and wet filters. Some tubes are longer than others. Some are blue, and some red.

Personally I have the K&N typhoon. It's a 2 piece tube set with a rubber damper in the middle. Technically it would be considered a cold air intake, or a ram air - depending on which pieces of tubing I used.

As for the filters - I don't know that either one is really any better than another. One semi-cautionary bit of advice for you though, is the so-called wet filters use an oil to catch dirt. They should be fine from the get go. But when you go out and buy a cleaning kit, and dump a quart of oil on the filter rather than just wetting it - then you can run into problems by sucking up droplets of oil into your intake. So I guess this may make a dry filter better? I dunno - but at least if something gets messed up, you can only blame yourself. This makes things easier for me to handle.. lol

So everyone is going to chime in with their about how great AEM or Injen is. Some people are even buying cheap kits from ebay and buying a nice filter - figuring a metal pipe is a metal pipe - its the filter thats protecting the car.

As for mounting - no modding is necessary as long as you buy one that is for your car. If you get a generic from ebay, I can't say much except you get what you pay for.

Is it worth it - hell yea. I think cost wise - CAI and a lighter pulley are the 2 places that you should be starting unless you plan on dropping a cool grand right off the bat.

G/L
Im having a hard time finding a cold air intake made for an a 96 ACURA 3.5 RL anyone know of a site I can go to?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ac...1br109601.html

I think you may be able to remove the stock airbox and just put the hose-end into the filter and clamp? Not sure how that is exactly supposed to work, but it makes sense.

Other than that - I too had issues finding a complete kit for an RL. Good thing I own a TL (but that doesn't help you much)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ac...1br109601.html

I think you may be able to remove the stock airbox and just put the hose-end into the filter and clamp? Not sure how that is exactly supposed to work, but it makes sense.

Other than that - I too had issues finding a complete kit for an RL. Good thing I own a TL (but that doesn't help you much)
Thats the filter but how do I fiind the intake with the metal piping?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
No one makes a specific CAI for a 96 Acura Rl. I looked, as i have the same year. Ive herd though that one for a Legend will work. You just have to know if you have TCS or not because they make kits for both. I believe that this one will work if you have TCS TCS
Non TCS

now im not 100% sure but this is what i herd
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Jimmay is 100% correct. If it fits a '91 - '95 Legend it'll work.

And of course, make sure its TCS compatible.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Rampaging RL

G/L

One amendment, you are right when you say you get what you pay for...

but, i used to work at Advanced Engine Management (AEM) and when you make a CAI or Short ram intake lots of things are taken in to consideration... diameter of pipe, length of pipe, size of air filter, synthetic dry flow or wet flow, which bends allow for maximum flow, provisions for PCV and breathers... so like sated before, you really do get what you pay for; Time, dyno proven, development, power.

if i were you and you were looking for a CAI do either an Injen or AEM for the legends... they have all the provisions for vacuum and whatever filter you choose to go with, dry flow or wet it doesnt matter they filter the same (as far as performance) i prefer the oiled filters.... because HONDA was smart and dont use MAF's they use MAP's god bless em