Can you disarm alarm if remote stops working

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you disarm alarm if remote stops working

I was wondering what is the method for disarming alarm if the keyless remote ever stops working. Is there a turn key on and off repeatedly system like on some after-market alarm systems?

This information would be helpful to have beforehand if this was to ever happen as my wife is the primary driver of the RL back and forth to her job.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
If the remote stops working, I assume you mean the FOB stops working in which case you wouldn't be able to turn the ignition knob without the key.

So then you just pull the physical key out of the fob, pop the cover off the ignition switch covering the key hole, put in the key and turn the car on. That will stop the alarm once the car is on.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Megatron
If the remote stops working, I assume you mean the FOB stops working in which case you wouldn't be able to turn the ignition knob without the key.

So then you just pull the physical key out of the fob, pop the cover off the ignition switch covering the key hole, put in the key and turn the car on. That will stop the alarm once the car is on.
Question? Why would I have to pull the cover off the ignition? Nothing is covering the ignition. Once I use the key to enter the car of course the alarm is going to be activated. Now at that point I guess you're saying that once I insert the key and start the car that the alarm will be disarmed and I can drive as usual. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

You should be able to disarm it by putting the key in the drivers side lock ad turning it to open/disarm then alarm. This works for me as I do t have remotes anymore only got 1 when I bought the car and it no longer works. Haven't tried the ignition but how would you get to the ignition if the car is locked and the alarm is sounding and you don't have the remote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Oops!!! Sorry, I thought you were talking about a second gen RL (2005+).

In the case of the 1st gen, NO, you don't have to worry at all. If you use the key to unlock the door and enter, the alarm will be disabled automatically. You don't even have to get to putting it in the ignition!

So in other words, the alarm will never sound even if you don't use the remote. Also, as soon as you lock it with the key, the alarm will be activated again automatically. So no fob needed.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Megatron
Oops!!! Sorry, I thought you were talking about a second gen RL (2005+).

In the case of the 1st gen, NO, you don't have to worry at all. If you use the key to unlock the door and enter, the alarm will be disabled automatically. You don't even have to get to putting it in the ignition!

So in other words, the alarm will never sound even if you don't use the remote. Also, as soon as you lock it with the key, the alarm will be activated again automatically. So no fob needed.
Gotcha! That's what I was thinking all along. Just needed to be sure. Thanks a million!