Continental DWS Tires, FTMFW!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm due for new tires as well so really looking forward to purchasing the DWS tires. Just out of curiosity, are you guys ordering 2 or 4 tires? I was just going to order 2 tires for the front and replace the back later. But wondering if just getting all 4 now is a better option.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost due for new tires...OEM Michelins are sliding in the RAIN (ahh!!!) and I was considering the DWS, but by the time I see any snow here, the S will have worn away. I think I'll stick to the DW. According to TireRack they should be ok in light snow...which is all we get here in central TX.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by phoward_15
I'm due for new tires as well so really looking forward to purchasing the DWS tires. Just out of curiosity, are you guys ordering 2 or 4 tires? I was just going to order 2 tires for the front and replace the back later. But wondering if just getting all 4 now is a better option.
Tires are manufactured to work together in a set of four. This is especially true for an AWD vehicle. Spend the extra money now, tires are the most important saftey feature on your vehicle.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mr Marco is correct buy all 4 tires at the same time. I would not mix differently designed tires.
I remember doing this on my Corvette. I had front Goodyear Eagle ZR on the fronts (Asssymetric and Unidirectional), I needed to replace just the rear tires. I called Goodyear tech line and was assured that the New Goodyear
GSD3 tires would be compatible with the older discontinued Eagle ZR tires.
Well guess what the car handled awfull. The back end was not tracking with the front correctly. I ended up buying the fronts too. The car handled fine after repalcing all four tires to the same design.
FWIW!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Unhappy

Tire Rack was on back order so I didn't get them, schlepping around in the OE Mich's still.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

^seems as though TireRack is always tight on inventory as a couple friends (and many here) have bitched about not being able to get the tires they wanted late in the season.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

and remember.. if they are out of stock or looking to save money you can go with an alternative tire size within +- 2% diameter. I saved around 80$ (20$p/ tire) and they were in stock at a nearby warehouse.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealer ordered my tires from Georgia. I live in California.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

wow what a wintery white season we have here in new york, and i've been riding on borderline threads on my mich's and i read in here that the conti's DWS is really good so i found them here and they have in stock. it;s ariving on tues i can't wait to test these tires! here is link http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...pName/wicket-1
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 AM
Intermediate

ok just driven about 40 miles on them and here is my opinion.
pro's hands down this is an awesome all season tire for snow, ice, slush and rain.
it grips the road like a champ. plows and claws through the snow and ice.
con's but it may be too soon to tell. i believe it suffers in gas mileage performance.
it felt as if it slows down faster while coasting so you need to apply gas more frequently. but like i said i still need more time and miles on it.
it is a big difference coming off the mich's and i have to say they sucked on snow and ice. but they did coast much better.

i will revise this if by chance there are changes after some more miles on the tires.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by noodle4rdx
ok just driven about 40 miles on them and here is my opinion.
pro's hands down this is an awesome all season tire for snow, ice, slush and rain.
it grips the road like a champ. plows and claws through the snow and ice.
con's but it may be too soon to tell. i believe it suffers in gas mileage performance.
it felt as if it slows down faster while coasting so you need to apply gas more frequently. but like i said i still need more time and miles on it.
it is a big difference coming off the mich's and i have to say they sucked on snow and ice. but they did coast much better.

i will revise this if by chance there are changes after some more miles on the tires.
Nothing is better/more fun than a new set of tires! It's like getting a new car.
They should be even better after 500 miles when they start to break in, and the mileage will improve with age.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
man my local town fair tires do not have the dws in stock, gotta wait for about 6-8wks. they did recommend me the hankook ventus as rh07....anyone else have any experience with these? i try googling it but wasn't able to find much.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Instructor

I just got a pair of DWS to replace a couple of ridiculously worn Michelins. So far I'm loving them. They're on the rear wheels right now so the improvement in handling is only slightly noticeable (when SH-AWD kicks in they hold on tight). I was delighted to find that Continental offers a 50k mile warranty on them. Road noise is definitely down since I got rid of the Michelins. Can't wait till it rains now!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^mm Did you hear about the crippling snow storm in the Seattle area? Here is a first hand account with the tire I'm putting on the TL on Monday>
Quote:
Originally Posted by docboy
okay, i made it home in literally white out blizzard like conditions. My impressions of the tl-awd w/19" hpt all seasons (michelins pilot sport a/s plus).

note: My commute is typically on the semi/rural back roads and they are usually not plowed or salted

-on a straight line snow/ice covered roads, rock steady. I can feel the sh-awd system shifting torque front/rear and left/right. Never once did i loose traction.

-even more impressive, on snow/iced hills, the tl just kept on going. Certain parts of the roads were rather scary, esp when crossing over iced bridges. But the tl felt very confident and stable.

-i have a very steeply inclined driveway. When i had my 1g tsx, i was never able to make up my driveway (or at least very easily); i would usually have to park it on the street and wait for the snow/ice to melt.

The tl negotiated the driveway w/ease. Again, i can feel the sh-awd shifting torque to the rear wheels. Very nice...

-on a off beat note, on one occasion, the abs kicked in as i came to a red light stop on steep decline on a snow/iced road. The tl stopped promptly; so i can vouch the abs works fine.

-the only time i lost traction was when i made a 90 degree right turn into my neighborhood at 35mph (pm unplowed snow/ice) i saw the vsa light blink a few times as the tl slid/fish tailed for a 2-3 seconds. As soon as i gave a little gas, the tl straightened out. Okay i admit it, i was trying to mimic the tl on the tov video of the minnesota winter testing grounds

I'm not sure why the tl fish tailed out, but i suspect that it was due to a large ice patch i hit that i would have slipped no matter what awd system/tires i had, and probably due to my craziness as well. Dunno...

Overall, the tl did very nicely in the snow/ice. The manual 6spd transmission was a big plus, as i felt i had more control of the car with engine braking, shifting quickly into 2nd gear for better traction, etc. (which may sound counter intiutive b/c one would think manual transmission = one too many things to do when driving in wintry conditions).

I test drove a 2007 mdx before in wintry conditions and hills; the tl has that same stable and planted feeling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have the pilot sport as plus on the subie and they are prolly the perfect all season tire, with handeling to boot. they have em in stock size for the rdx also. http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...s/tire-details the dry wet and snow traction with these tires are great. they would put the contis to shame. i take 25mph rated on ramps at 55mph with the subie with only drop springs. if you have the money for these, they are totaly worth it. not to mention a performance tire that has a 45k mile warrenty.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
I just got a pair of DWS to replace a couple of ridiculously worn Michelins. So far I'm loving them. They're on the rear wheels right now so the improvement in handling is only slightly noticeable (when SH-AWD kicks in they hold on tight). I was delighted to find that Continental offers a 50k mile warranty on them. Road noise is definitely down since I got rid of the Michelins. Can't wait till it rains now!
i feel sorry for your diffs.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hehehe... best tire for ice is studded or chained, anyone want to argue? takers? lol...ok DWS is a rubber tire like all other tires.

This has to be said, someone is gonna think DWS is gonna afford limitless traction in any enviroment. Which is not a big deal, as it's common sence and is indirectly implied.

It's like compairing running/ trail runner shoes to football cleats, one will be clearly effective at one situation and vise versa. And OEM rubber on Ice or snow is simmilar in IMO.

BTW I won't believe how many times I walked home several miles from shopping, because I parked on an icey parking lot... referencing another thread. Think if a driver is not use to it, it is troublesome with anytire. I learned to drive winters in the europe.

I raced a WRX in the snow and beat it!!!!!!!! in a prelude, nah in the RDX!!! I want to find Colin McCrea or Valentino Rossi and race him in my RDX in snow.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Hehehe... best tire for ice is studded or chained, anyone want to argue? takers? lol...ok DWS is a rubber tire like all other tires.

This has to be said, someone is gonna think DWS is gonna afford limitless traction in any enviroment. Which is not a big deal, as it's common sence and is indirectly implied.

It's like compairing running/ trail runner shoes to football cleats, one will be clearly effective at one situation and vise versa. And OEM rubber on Ice or snow is simmilar in IMO.

BTW I won't believe how many times I walked home several miles from shopping, because I parked on an icey parking lot... referencing another thread. Think if a driver is not use to it, it is troublesome with anytire. I learned to drive winters in the europe.

I raced a WRX in the snow and beat it!!!!!!!! in a prelude, nah in the RDX!!! I want to find Colin McCrea or Valentino Rossi and race him in my RDX in snow.
^ you can race a monster truck with 500hp in snow and beat it with studded tires, thats not saying much. also not sure if you been under a rock lately but colin died a few years back in a heli crash.. If you look on a real rally car, when they are doing a race with snow, they are using studs. so i really think your gonna lose.

and im sure if you could do this, you would think otherwise of your studded tires.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by windowlickingood
^ you can race a monster truck with 500hp in snow and beat it with studded tires, thats not saying much. also not sure if you been under a rock lately but colin died a few years back in a heli crash.. If you look on a real rally car, when they are doing a race with snow, they are using studs. so i really think your gonna lose.

and im sure if you could do this, you would think otherwise of your studded tires.

I'll be honest yeah I live in a cave...that is guarded by a troll either that or a ball in chain, lulz, and to be honest I forgot about colin too! Still want to race him in my RDX, don't think thats a possiblity.

It is not the fact I when or lose but guage my abilities against them. I am aware that WRC uses studs in snow.

Last I heard Valentino Rossi was headed to WRC I followed him from MotoGP, One of the great phenoms of this day.

Speaking in an interview reported by The Independent newspaperValentino Rossi has stated that he hopes to go to the WRC, possibly with Ford, when he retires from MotoGP. He also reckons he could have a good ten years in rallying.

BTW that photo is don't get me wrong I really like scoobies. But i like monster more.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

i think it's all about the money The DWS are cheap so everyone buys them. Who wants to spend 300 to 400 more dollars for the michelins.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Instructor

I did and im not regreting it either. You get what you pay for