Windows rattling and hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows rattling and hissing noise

I got my RDX for a couple month now, I experienced hissing noise from the driver's side window when I go over 80km/hr. The noise only happens occasionally and I noticed that its louder when wind is strong outside. I bought it back to the dealer and they said it was a loose runcharger. They replaced it for me but the issue seems to remain.

I also found that the passenger side windows produce rattling noise if I opened a small gap. The driver's side window also had this rattling but after the runcharger is changed this issue is gone for that window.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Its a brand new car and I'm all puzzled as to why this from happening. Is it factory defect or design problem?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dropkick
I got my RDX for a couple month now, I experienced hissing noise from the driver's side window when I go over 80km/hr. The noise only happens occasionally and I noticed that its louder when wind is strong outside. I bought it back to the dealer and they said it was a loose runcharger. They replaced it for me but the issue seems to remain.

I also found that the passenger side windows produce rattling noise if I opened a small gap. The driver's side window also had this rattling but after the runcharger is changed this issue is gone for that window.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Its a brand new car and I'm all puzzled as to why this from happening. Is it factory defect or design problem?
I have had my rdx for over 2 years now, and over the recent few months, there is a rattling of the passenger side door. Can't really tell if its the door panel or window doing it. But it only happens occasionally, and especially driving through the poorly maintained roads of Mass.

I think unless a car is firmly tightened and bolted down, any car can have rattling issues. Even a BMW or Mercedes can have rattles (probably less so due to the materials used and how they are bolted down).
Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Pro

My driver side window is loose and rattles a little when I shut the door. I expected more from a Honda product.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
thats been a honda trademark, well, forever.

my rdx is a bucket of bolts, widows included.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I expected more from an Acura. I have more issues now, my car was shaking / vibrating when I was driving over 60 mph. I mean its a new car, can it have bad alignment from the factory? I will be bringing the car to the dealer, and hope they can fix it, if not, I have lost faith in Acura.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
big shot.

...thats nothing too shocking, its either an alignment, balance, or both. wouldnt worry till you find out otherwise.

common for new cars that have been sitting (dead spots in tires) but you would like to think the f'ing acura dealership tests them out before handing you the keys.

Happened to me, twice...07, and 08 RDX..both out of alignment and needed rebalancing
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dropkick
Yes, I expected more from an Acura. I have more issues now, my car was shaking / vibrating when I was driving over 60 mph. I mean its a new car, can it have bad alignment from the factory? I will be bringing the car to the dealer, and hope they can fix it, if not, I have lost faith in Acura.
My 2001 BMW 330i after 2 years of ownership, had windows that rattled, and the weather stripping on the doors fell off. Well, they fixed all the deficiencies, but I bet you would be real ticked then, given it's a BMW, and not just an Acura.

My point is... after all these years of ownership of cars, they all rattle or have sounds to a certain extent... and factory manufacturing is not without defects.

Just bring it back to the dealer and request them to tightened down some bolts or adjust some components... if the roads you drive on have potholes, eventually it will jiggle loose some bolts, and rattles happen again... fact of life...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
big shot.

yea...bringing it to the dealer and saying, can you tighten the car and adjust this stuff, they will look at u like ur an idiot. not a good way to start off the owner/dealer experience.

if you have an isolated rattle, suspect something is up in a particular area, that is one thing (like the window, altho the window is operating as designed)....the last thing a dealer wants to deal with is you walking in saying my car is making all these noises please tighten, no such solution exists.

unless you got a legit problem with the window mechanism and there is play in the track...doubtful you have any issue that is not common to the rest of honda & acura. (but if it is really bad etc, no doubt get it checked out)

as for a BWM vs Acura...id expect more from acura as their appeal IS reliability and product fit & finish. Anything going wrong in a german brand wouldnt surprise me, quite the opposite mav, any consumer source would be an easy tip to that. U buy a BMW, Audi, Benz, you should already know what ur getting into, especially back in 2001, anything but reliable or solid build quality. Im more pissed at Acura for the RDX being a pile of shit in the fit and finish area...yea harsh words but thats how i feel about the quality of MY RDX. I liked my past honda products better, and i feel that my past Accord V6's and family CRV were constructed much much better, no panel fitting issues, no squeaks, rattles, wind whistles, pinging, banging, exterior panels out of alignment and not in proper place etc n so forth. Not a fan of the overall RDX quality, and ive gone through 2 model years (07 & 08), all with similar issues.

just take the good with the bad. the RDX has not shut off on the highway like my CX-7, but the workmanship of the CX-7 was much better. If the RDX dumped the majority of plastic pieces in the interior, i think that would drastically cut back on the clicks and rattles. In other words...i think the plastic has alot to do with the sounds the car makes.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mav238
My 2001 BMW 330i after 2 years of ownership, the weather stripping on the doors fell off. Well, they fixed all the deficiencies, but I bet you would be real ticked then, given it's a BMW, and not just an Acura.
That was a common trait in the E46 3 series and it also happened to our 2000 323Ci.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MMike1981
Im more pissed at Acura for the RDX being a pile of shit in the fit and finish area...yea harsh words but thats how i feel about the quality of MY RDX.
Agreed. Sad...........

but the workmanship of the CX-7 was much better
Mazdas suck in road noise isolation. Peel the carpet back and it is cheap/thin and no pad to isolate road noise.

Last edited by SinCity; 11-14-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 AM
big shot.

regardless of the thin carpet in the 7, it was quieter than the RDX. If mazdas suck in isolation of road noise, honda is right behind them, ive never driven in a quiet one, other than the RL...the new TL isnt that bad either.