whining sound that is steering wheel or rpm dependent

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whining sound that is steering wheel or rpm dependent

Wife's 08 RDX is started making a whining sound, but it only happens intermittently and usually after 15-20 minutes of driving. Never cold.
1) It changes volume or intensity when turning the wheel. It is gets quite loud if you turn the wheel while it is stopped at a light.
2) It also seems to change intensity or pitch with the RPM's while driving, even if the steering wheel stays completely straight.

Alternator? Serpentine belt on power steering pump? (This belts tension seems fine). Power steering fluid is sufficient.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 243 Likes on 212 Posts
The way you describe it, it sounds like the power steering pump. There may be fluid in there, but how old is it? Mine started groaning at about 105k miles, and a p/s fluid change took care of it. It's only about 10 bucks to buy fluid and easy to drain and refill in your driveway, so that would definitely be my first step to see if the noise goes away.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
How many miles on the car? It definitely sounds like the power steering pump. Before replacing the pump itself, you should swap in a new set of o-rings. At some point Acura updated one of the rings because it was prone to allowing air into the system. I believe the new one is orange and the old one was black. Dorman makes a replacement kit that is available at most autoparts stores. Part # 926-157. Be sure to have some honda/acura power steering fluid on hand to top off what you lose when swapping in the new o-rings. You should really flush the fluid at the same time, but doing just the o-rings might fix the problem if you don't want to do the fluid.

-Matt
Old 03-29-2022, 12:06 AM
3rd Gear

2006 acura tl whining sound

I have a 2006 acura tl , and it has a whining sound, more like a screaming sound and its not the power steering. It does not do it when i turn only when it is already warmed up not when cold. Also the sound changes when the car shifts gears. Somebody told me it was the main pulley seal needed replacing and that the noise was coming from there but i don't know. Also have a really hard time climbing hills. I can barely climb them with a running start. I have to gain momentum. Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2023, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

did you ever figure out this issue? i am having the exact same symptoms except mine will start the whining at around 5-10 minutes of driving.

Originally Posted by Kdub_rdx
Wife's 08 RDX is started making a whining sound, but it only happens intermittently and usually after 15-20 minutes of driving. Never cold.
1) It changes volume or intensity when turning the wheel. It is gets quite loud if you turn the wheel while it is stopped at a light.
2) It also seems to change intensity or pitch with the RPM's while driving, even if the steering wheel stays completely straight.

Alternator? Serpentine belt on power steering pump? (This belts tension seems fine). Power steering fluid is sufficient.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:54 PM
7th Gear

whining noise, louder when accelerating, but idle feels higher rpm

Hi,

Also wondering if any resolution. I have an 07, the whining seems to happen when driving for a while. immediately when noticing the whining, the idle rpm feels like it is higher.