Muted clicking sound from front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Muted clicking sound from front end

Hey guys,

I've noticed lately when driving there is a very quiet popping noise from the front. Seems like it's coming from the drivers side. It also seems to correspond to suspension movement, but it makes the same sound going over the smallest ripple or a larger bump. I have to turn the radio off to hear it, but it will click/pop quite often.

Am I the only one?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem

I have this same noise, 07/Tech with 12K miles.

A clicking/popping from somewhere in the dash below the windshield. Sounds like it is just in front of the steering wheel over to the center speaker somewhere.

I hear this when driving on the freeway as well as city streets. It was not there for the first few thousand miles, but at around 9K I started hearing it.

Next time I am at the dealer for service, this will be at the top of the list for them to check out.

Who else has this problem?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 AM
6th Gear

Unhappy Having the same issue!!

Hey guys I'm new to the site so saying hi!

But I am having the same issue!!! It started happening around 6k for me, i first started noticing it when i was driving on highways upwards of 60mph +. I thought maybe it was my windshield wiper. But now im at 10K and its doing it even driving at lower speeds but when i go over bumps and what not just like u guys. I took the wipers off and it kept doing it. It's so frustrating because everytime i get in my car im always waiting to hear it and its driving me nuts. I'm kind of relieved other people are having this issue, but seriously we spend money on these cars and this crap happens. Anyways I'm gonna have them look at it, and it better not be out of pocket expenses, cuz obviously theres an issue with the car.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM
6th Gear

Clicking

So I brought my RDX in for servicing and told them about the clicking noise, this is the Acura Dealership in Maywood, NJ on RT. 17. They said they would take a look at it and see what the problem was, after two days i picked my car up and they said the replaced this felt thing in the dash or something and they didnt hear it anymore. It was at no cost so I didnt pay anything. When i got in my car and started to drive the noise was still there, so i give up, hopefully someone else having this problem has some advice???
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Pro

This sound really doesn't seem to be coming from the dash to me. Sounds like the drivers side front suspension.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Instructor

I have having similar issues. 3600 miles here. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side near where the dashboard meets the windshield. I can't replicate it on my own by pushing on the dash, though. I only hear it when going over bumps or whatnot.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a problem where I would hear this creaking noise toward the front of the dash near the base of the windshield. The dealer told me it was a body seam that was making noise and did some kind of body weld or something ( I don't have the invoice with me to get specifics) but that seems to have taken care of it. I too had the popping noise from the suspension as well. Turn out the they replaced the sway bar link or something and that took care of that problem as well. Hope that helps you guys out.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

i had a similar noise on the rear left. it would have this small clicking sound once in awhile. when i brought my car to service, they said they would have to order new suspensions for me... didn't have to pay for anything since it was still within the warranty. the problem was fixed after the changed it!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Pro

I went in to the dealer and got the "could not replicate". Of course, they told me my car was ready, so i assumed it was fixed. Nope.

When you drive a bumpy road, there is a click every couple seconds. It's a bit worse when cold, but it has gotten worse (I'm only at about 5k miles right now).
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Instructor

I have a dealer appointment Sat morning...hopefully they can replicate.

Another rattle has now cropped up; can't tell if it's coming from the center storage area or the passenger seat.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Well good news....I guess. The dealer can hear the clicking/ticking rattle, but they can't figure out what the problem is (yet). I'm on day 3 of a loaner RDX while they troubleshoot.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM
5th Gear

Had the same problem. or at least it sounds like the same. Annoying ticking sound coming from the drivers side dash.

Had it in last week for 3 days....they replaced the driver side strut and the noise seems to have disappeared. They said they noticed some paint being chipped away around the boot of the strut. Hope this helps and good luck I know how frustrating that sound is.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Instructor

atlrdx: service advisor just called; he said they isolated it and talked with Acura's tech line. They told me the same thing - the driver's side front strut needed to be replaced. Part will be in tomorrow and should be back in it tomorrow afternoon.

This is the 2nd new Acura that has had strut problems - on my '02 RSX they had to replace the rear struts with less than 800 miles on the car.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
5th Gear

Call them back...the sound came back today. After a longer drive the sound started to come back and consistently too. It is not as bad as it used to be, especially on strait flat roads but it is definitely back. I am calling back tomorrow and will bring it back in. If I hear of any good news I will surely post it.

Just curious...since this is my first acura, does anyone have any experiences they could share as far as how acura customer service is with these types of problems and/or how they were treated at the dealership?

I mean this is becoming ridiculous I haven't been able to enjoy my car for the last 5k!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
5th Gear

ok the clicking/knocking sound is just as bad as it was before the strut replacement.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
5th Gear

ckhiggins: what is the status of your vehicle?

now they are replacing the steering rack. I will keep you all posted.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Clicking noise still there. Have not called them back about it yet - I had to drive 400 miles each way to a funeral soon after I got it back. I just turned up the GD radio!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Hi guys, I took my wife's RDX for service and reported a sound similar to what you are describing but from de pass side. Dealer just called me and said that the struts are OK but that they found some of the supensions bolt were not tighten to spec Anyways all the bolts were tighten and everything should be OK. I'll post a report in a couple of days...
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Black Hawk

Any update? Guys? Mine is an 08 tech has only around 2400 miles on the odo. Then the knocking noise started. It sounds more from the driver's side...

No time to go to the dealer yet. Also, I do not have much confidence in them. Last time I had extra wind noise coming from the driver's side. They adjusted the front door a little bit. Visually, it looks better at the gap where door meets frame. But the noise was not gone. Anyone has the same problem?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
5th Gear

my 08 rdx tech has been in the shop (dealer) since April 30th! Now they have an engineer from Acura coming out to take a look next week. Nobody has a clue and will be curious to see what the engineer finds if anything. Needless to say this a joke...

Should have spent the extra 2k and got a Lexus
Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

zipdesign - I had both noises. The front knocking noise is still not fixed. And the extra wind noise - they told me that it was a "characteristic of the car." They said they test drove 3 other RDXs and heard the same excess wind noise. They say "characteristic" - I say design flaw.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Instructor

atlrdx: Any updates??
Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Black Hawk

It comes and goes

the mute clicking disappeared for a while, then it came back. As I recall, what happened was that I slammed the brake a couple of times the other day. I could hear and feel rapid "clicking" when the SUV came to a abrupt stop. Then after that, the noise just went away for a while... Could it be something loose? Something linked to the brake system or suspension...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Racer

I'd say suspension. Maybe the sway bar link. At least that is what it was for me.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 PM
5th Gear

I had this dash rattle at the driver side for a while and made and appointment today. They installed a new front strut (driver side) and rattles disappeared. This dash rattle usually comes when slowly braking approaching a red light, or in a stop and go traffic. It was annoying me for months. Very happy with the service!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Black Hawk

The clicking/popping noise was so nagging and I finally sent the car to dealer last Saturday, for both the clicking and the excessive wind noise. I was glad that on my illustrative "test" drive I was able to reproduce both noise and they understood what I was complaining...

Got a call from dealer today saying that the clicking could be something wrong with the body frame. They sent the car to a body shop for a cure. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I will post result when I get back my SUV.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Black Hawk

Angry So disappointed,

finally got back my RDX after 2 weeks at the dealer (2 trips from dealer to body shop and had 100+ test miles added). What they did was 1. made some adjustment at the front windshield mount to get rid of the clicking noise; 2. made adjustment at the front driver side door to remove the excessive wind noise.

The results!
1. The clicking noise was not gone at all! It gets even worse, the only difference was that now it sounds more like from inside the cabin down at the brake linkage area.
2. The wind noise is still there, and there is some EXTRA noise now at the B-pillar area - sounds like something is a little bit loosen inside the B-pillar (the safety belt connector?) and it vibrates once in a while...

I'm soooo disappointed with the Acura quality. I used to have a 96 Civic which was very reliable and trouble free. But this brand "upgrade"..... I mean, the dealer's service attitude was good, but the end results....
Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Racer

Yeah, I'd be pretty upset too. That's quite a bit of time and mileage for no positive result. Maybe try a different dealer?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have this too. I will get the bottom of this.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
have a passenger listen to the sound, then have them watch the hood for movement while you drive, just a thought and may not be you problem , but my hood rattled and needed adjustments
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i have a popping noise but i only hear it when i accelerate in reverse....mainly with the wheel turned...whats up with that, any guess. boots look fine but i think it might be a ball joint or universal join
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
universal joint
Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by wadeox
universal joint
I doubt the Ball Joints are your prob, are they sealed and packed with grease? Did you have any work done to the RDX lately?

A CV (constant Velocity) joint at the halfshaft could be a possiblity, does the sound change tempo, speed up as the wheel speeds up? is there any grease slung on the underbelly?

If the tempo is the same reguardless of wheel speed: slow or fast, it is not the CV and CV would also happen in forward motion (drive) as well.