Cracked engine block

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Cracked engine block

So I've recently been having a slew of starting issues with my 2007 during which I ended up replacing the battery, alternator (twice) and starter (twice). I now have a vehicle that starts well again!

Bad news, on installing the final starter, my mechanic notices dried coolant leaking from the top of the motor onto the engine bottom (at least I'm assuming it's the bottom). He showed me the fluid discoloration on metal and said it was a cracked block. The next day I did my own inspection and believe I found a crack about 1/2 to 1" long on the underside of the block. It leaks coolant on first starting but the going theory is that the heated metal expands and eventually seals the crack. I've owned it for about 3.5 years and it has always needed coolant topped off with no apparent leaks, so this explains it. It has never overheated on my watch nor moved anywhere above the middle of the gauge. Oil changes seem pretty normal and without cross contamination. In any case, it looks like I bought someone else's problem.

Question time. Has anyone had a crack and, if so, managed to fix it without a full engine replacement (about $3-4,000 for used motor and labor). At 123,000 miles and a blue book of about $5-6,000 I'm not sure if it's worth it. I already put about $1,500 into the above electrical work as well as new shocks/struts all around and this seems like the last straw. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hammed_Man; 11-25-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Seems like after a new engine, you'll have a new car pretty much...

I've put a $hitload of money into my RDX... Starter, front struts (twice b/c first set was aftermarket, suggested by dealer, and rattled), ignition, tie rods, end links (tie rods and sway bar), rear torque rods, A/C condensor coil, A/C Clutch, driver window motor and regulator, rear driver regulator (dealer upsell/wasted money), drivers master actuator switch for windows, driver window mount clips, waterpump, lower engine mount and mixer blend door (common issue with RDX), that's all I can think of now...

A rock hit the drivers window when I was going 80mph... Had it replaced, but it would sometimes go up, then reverse down on it's own, like the track was dirty... Have had tons of electrical issues since... (Hence the window issues)

Now, I'm leaking about 1/2 quart of oil a day... Yes, 1/2 a quart!

Vtec no longer seems to kicks in... May need a vtec actuator... The turbo helps to where I'm not gutless so that's good... Just not quite as much punch at full throttle...

It's running lean and throwing random CELs when a cool front passes, but it's been doing that since I got in in 2/2016...

I have no idea why it's running lean...

Oh, and my tranny may have slipped once the ither day...

But, the new suspension makes the car feel bramd new... After 60,000 miles of ownership, I'm very attached now... I will be doing all of the necessary repairs myself...

Your situation seems similar to mine... I can't say that a new block is the way to go... It's a big investment... But think of how much you've got done on the car...

I would scource out a used engine, for cheap... Amd have soneone install it as inexpensively as they could... Another member replaced his TL's engine for $1300, installed, so it's possible...

I can't say you wouldn't hace any otger problems, but at some point, you would have replaced so many mechanical components that nothing would break for a while...

My RDX has been more trouble free in tge last 20K miles than it was back around 200K, currently about 235.700, and adding 700 a week, other than the oil leak/vtec issue, it rides smoother and starts every time... The crazy electrical has calmed down a lot too...

I made this about myself, but I'm sure you can relate...

My TL was looking to be a money pit, but after doing some research, it would've not been so bad just to get caught up with it's few problems, but I sold it, and I'm now kicking myself daily... My Kia is a lot more reliable, but it has no personality... And I'm stuck for now...

You need an engine, so you're in way deeper than I am...

Don't want to see another RDX die, I vote life!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 11-26-2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: $hitbox money
Old 11-26-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
uhhh, it'll just be cheaper to grab a used engine...
Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In my area (Tacoma, WA) I've got at least one quote of about $3,000 installed after taxes. Motor itself was $1,800. Everyone loves their AWD up here and maybe that extends to parts as well? Having never needed to source a motor before... would I be looking online for the motor and local for the shop or go through a shop to source the motor as well?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 PM
CSmoney28

Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
You can go with the junk yard and cross your fingers. On the other hand you have the option to go to the dealer and get a warranty. The choice is yours...