Best way to clean/remove surface scratches from the interior display screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
boostin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to clean/remove surface scratches from the interior display screen

I noticed the display for the radio and HVC stuff has a few surface scratches, or atleast they look like it (I didn't want to try to remove them w/ worry that it could make it worse). What's the best way to clean that screen and possibly remove the scratches? Mine is the base RDX screen also if that matters
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM
boostin'

anyone got any ideas or help?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's an LCD panel, so I don't think there is a good way to remove scratches from it. Best way to fix it is probably to replace the panel. $230

How'd it get scratched in the first place? I guess thats why they sell those protective sheets for those screens, but I never thought of buying them since it's not a touchscreen and hardly ever gets touched.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the screen really exposed? I have a tech and the couple of times I've reached up there to brush some dust off it's felt like the surface was a protective sheet of plastic - not the screen itself. Is the base different?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
boostin'

Originally Posted by flar
Is the screen really exposed? I have a tech and the couple of times I've reached up there to brush some dust off it's felt like the surface was a protective sheet of plastic - not the screen itself. Is the base different?
I also feel it's like this, w/ a sheet of plastic covering the LCD screen, that's why I thought there may be some product to clean it and possibly buff out fine scratches.

There are a few scratches that are really only visible when the sunlight is on the screen, I think they probably got there from wiping the screen off w/ a paper towel possibly? That's all I can think of, I may have accidently caused it while attempting to clean it at one time when there was no sunlight on it (I didn't notice it at the time)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

An old motorcycle trick for removing scratches from a face shield is to use Pledge furniture wax. Wipe it on generously and it fills in scratches, then wipe it off gently to leave a smooth surface. Use a soft cotton or microfiber towel to do the application and wiping or you will create even more scratches. Also many cleaners, especially glass cleaners, will eat into plastic and leave a lot of tiny scratches.

If you google you can find articles mentioning using Pledge (and other similar products) to get scratches out of CDs and other plastics. Here is a forum thread with several people touting using Pledge for various motorcycle plastics:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/pr.aspx?f=21&m=354056

I also found an article where someone used Maguires #10 polish to remove scratches from a woodworkers face shield. If it is compatible with plastic it may work even better than Pledge.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM
boostin'

Originally Posted by flar
An old motorcycle trick for removing scratches from a face shield is to use Pledge furniture wax. Wipe it on generously and it fills in scratches, then wipe it off gently to leave a smooth surface. Use a soft cotton or microfiber towel to do the application and wiping or you will create even more scratches. Also many cleaners, especially glass cleaners, will eat into plastic and leave a lot of tiny scratches.

If you google you can find articles mentioning using Pledge (and other similar products) to get scratches out of CDs and other plastics. Here is a forum thread with several people touting using Pledge for various motorcycle plastics:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/pr.aspx?f=21&m=354056

I also found an article where someone used Maguires #10 polish to remove scratches from a woodworkers face shield. If it is compatible with plastic it may work even better than Pledge.

Let us know how it goes...
thanks for the info.!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would be wary about using stuff like that on an LCD panel. It is definitely alot softer than the plastic of a helmet shield or compact disc. I'm not saying it won't work, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig....

I'd try a damp cloth with minimal soap on it first. Maybe these scratches you are seeing are just residue.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 AM
boostin'

Originally Posted by sasair
I would be wary about using stuff like that on an LCD panel. It is definitely alot softer than the plastic of a helmet shield or compact disc. I'm not saying it won't work, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig....

I'd try a damp cloth with minimal soap on it first. Maybe these scratches you are seeing are just residue.
you're sure the screen is an lcd and not protected by a plastic covering? It just doesn't seem the same as the lcd screen on say a laptop or lcd tv, but maybe I haven't taken a close enough look at it
Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX REX
you're sure the screen is an lcd and not protected by a plastic covering? It just doesn't seem the same as the lcd screen on say a laptop or lcd tv, but maybe I haven't taken a close enough look at it
It's not the same kind of LCD panel as in the tech version, but it's still an LCD panel. What covers the screen may be a protective plastic covering, but it is built into the screen and not a separate part from the panel itself.

I'd just try to buff it out with water and maybe a little soap before trying products that weren't made for it. And definitely don't use paper towels. Use a microfiber cloth if you have one.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Sasair,

I just want to make sure we are talking apples to apples here.

I have a tech model, and they might be different, but when I tap (gently) on my "screen" I'm tapping a piece of soft plastic that doesn't feel like any kind of LCD screen surface or LCD protective layer that I've ever felt before. At the same time, it also feels different than the plastic covering the instrument panel.

I also pressed (gently again) on the surface and it deformed showing about at least 1/8" to maybe 1/4" of air space between the plastic surface and the LCD screen itself. All laptop LCD screens that I've ever seen have had the protective covering sandwiched directly onto the LCD surface itself with no air gap. (For completeness, I have no experience with how LCD televisions are constructed.)

I don't have a service manual or a parts manifest, but I would find it hard to believe that this plastic panel, complete with air space buffer behind it, was an integrated nonremovable part built in to the LCD screen itself...?

But, it does appear to have some sort of anti-reflective coating on it as the reflections of lights are somewhat diffused, so most of the same caveats about how to care for any kind of matte screen would probably apply.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checked the RDX service manual (p. 23-191) and it only shows the removal removal/installation of the nav display unit. Gives no insight whether there is a plastic cover protecting the LCD display and the drawing doesn't help.