2010 RDX 140K needs turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RDX 140K needs turbo replacement

Just found out I need the turbo replaced in my 2010 RDX. My mechanic and the dealership concur that this is frequently a problem between 100-120K miles for the RDX. Very disappointing as the cost for the part and installation is $7000! My mechanic has agreed to put in a less-expensive remanufactured part from a site off the internet (www.buyautoparts.com), but with no warranty besides the part's warranty. I'm wondering whether anyone has opinions on whether these remanufactured turbos are a good option? And what about other problems with the RDX? I'm wondering whether I'm going to spend all this money only to have the transmission go out next.

Overall, I've been very disappointed with the RDX: poor quality leather seats, poor quality sound system, bumpy, noisy ride. It just doesn't seem to be manufactured with the same quality as the 2001 MDX we have that has 350,000 miles and is still running. Are there any other high-ticket items we should expect to encounter soon?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I would think you can get a whole new engine installed for 7k. Who quoted that price for a turbo replacement? Even at a dealer I think parts+labor should be way under that. Also, what specifically failed on the turbo? For most that have turbo issues, it almost always ends up being the variable flow actuator, and there are some great DIY solutions out there that don't involve replacing the whole unit. If it's related to that, and you haven't already done the full replacement, I highly suggest researching what others have done, and you may end up saving a ton of money.

Everyone has different tastes and experience, but in looking at the other high-mileage RDX's on this site, I think the variable flow actuator is one of the few major issues people have. I've also read a few cases of the radiator failing internally, allowing coolant and transmission fluid to mix. But, as long as you change your coolant according to schedule, that risk should be very low. Coolant will become corrosive as it ages, greatly increasing the chance of radiator failing.

For what it's worth, I also have a 2010 at 143k - it runs great, seats are in fantastic condition, sound system is excellent (tech model - not sure if yours is the same or base, or we just have different standards). It does have more road noise than I prefer, and while the ride is stiff, I knew that before purchase and don't find it uncomfortable. It's smoother and more compliant than my previous car. Did you buy the RDX new? I'm assuming not, based on your critiques of the ride and sound system. Even if you're a very attentive owner, obviously a lot depends on how anyone before you took care of it as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I would think you can get a whole new engine installed for 7k. Who quoted that price for a turbo replacement? Even at a dealer I think parts+labor should be way under that. Also, what specifically failed on the turbo? For most that have turbo issues, it almost always ends up being the variable flow actuator, and there are some great DIY solutions out there that don't involve replacing the whole unit. If it's related to that, and you haven't already done the full replacement, I highly suggest researching what others have done, and you may end up saving a ton of money.

Everyone has different tastes and experience, but in looking at the other high-mileage RDX's on this site, I think the variable flow actuator is one of the few major issues people have. I've also read a few cases of the radiator failing internally, allowing coolant and transmission fluid to mix. But, as long as you change your coolant according to schedule, that risk should be very low. Coolant will become corrosive as it ages, greatly increasing the chance of radiator failing.

For what it's worth, I also have a 2010 at 143k - it runs great, seats are in fantastic condition, sound system is excellent (tech model - not sure if yours is the same or base, or we just have different standards). It does have more road noise than I prefer, and while the ride is stiff, I knew that before purchase and don't find it uncomfortable. It's smoother and more compliant than my previous car. Did you buy the RDX new? I'm assuming not, based on your critiques of the ride and sound system. Even if you're a very attentive owner, obviously a lot depends on how anyone before you took care of it as well.
Thanks for responding. I appreciate the technical information. I was pretty shocked at the price myself. However, this mechanic has worked on our cars reliably for more than 15 years. He's not the cheapest, but generally cheaper than the dealership. I also called my dealer and they quoted the same price, unfortunately. Turns out that the problem is with damage.deformity of the waste gate, so it's not related to the variable flow actuator.

Yes, we bought the RDX new and it is the base model. We are a little hard on our cars, but I have been religious about maintenance on this vehicle. But it's really the interior that hasn't held up. Our 2001 MDX with 350,000 miles has gone through 2 teenage drivers and is MUCH better shape on the inside.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a thread here (that I am trying to find again) where someone had a machine shop make a new actuator rod. I'm going to find the thread and ask him if that solved his issue.

EDIT: Here is the thread https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-.../#post16267420

Last edited by SinCity; 07-19-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

Update: I chose to purchase a refurbished turbo from TurboChargerPros.com. It cost $1595 and came with a 1 year warranty. No warranty on installation work though, so if it fails, I'm out the $1500 in labor to install.

Also, I live in a small city just south of Denver. In the two weeks that my car was in the shop, my small mechanic's shop saw 5 MORE RDX's come in needing turbo replacement! Interestingly, I was the only customer that decided to try the repair; everyone else is trying to dump the car though a trade-in.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just talking out loud, but I wonder if the altitude is playing a part in that. One of the reasons altitude typically doesn't affect turbo engines as much as n/a engines is that the turbo can just cram more air into the engine to compensate for the thinner air, assuming it stays within normal operating parameters. But over time that may still add up to added stress and wear/tear at best. There just weren't that many gen 1 RDX's sold to where I'd expect to see 5 dead turbos in one small city in a week. Very odd.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I've been on this forum for a long time and have seen very few reports of turbos going bad.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kdecker
Update: I chose to purchase a refurbished turbo from TurboChargerPros.com. It cost $1595 and came with a 1 year warranty. No warranty on installation work though, so if it fails, I'm out the $1500 in labor to install.

Also, I live in a small city just south of Denver. In the two weeks that my car was in the shop, my small mechanic's shop saw 5 MORE RDX's come in needing turbo replacement! Interestingly, I was the only customer that decided to try the repair; everyone else is trying to dump the car though a trade-in.
When buying refurbished turbos, do they come with a new actuator and the metal part with a hole that gets worn out?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by schen72
I've been on this forum for a long time and have seen very few reports of turbos going bad.
Same, which makes this account from the shop even more shocking. Actuator wearing out, definitely. Enough to the point where folks have worked out their own DIY because the turbo itself is still good and a full replacement is expensive! But full on turbo failure seems extremely rare.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kdecker

kdecker – How did this work out for you? Did the refurbished turbo solve your issue? No more codes?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:57 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by macman502
kdecker – How did this work out for you? Did the refurbished turbo solve your issue? No more codes?
No more problems with the turbo since the fix in 2018. Overall, the car is at 175,000, I think, and still going. A lot more maintenance has been required to keep it going to this stage (A/C replacement, etc.) than my 2001 MDX which went to almost 300K without major work.