09 strange ticking noise from engine bay

Old 07-10-2019, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 strange ticking noise from engine bay

Hey,
so my 09 Rdx started making a quite ticking noise at about 95k intermittently. Now at 102k the noise is pretty constant. Sometime when the engine is cold it doesn't happen but upon warm up its present. It happens all the way thru the rpm range and increases in frequency as the rpm's increase. I haven't noticed any performance issues just an annoying tick. It sounds like it's coming from the serpentine and originally thought it was the fan...then I thought maybe a valve and worst case maybe the timing chain. I've also had people say possibly injectors. I've also read on here that other ppl with similar noises have had mechanics go thru their cars and couldn't find the source and that the k23 sometimes naturally develops a tick?? Sounds weird. Anyone have any ideas? I'm reluctant to even drive it if it happens to be the timing chain. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
At your age/mileage, the turbo actuator bolt would be suspect. Does the ticking occur when on throttle, or does it get noticeably louder when letting off throttle? Can you take shine a light on the bolt to see if it's rounded out? Look down at back of engine from the passenger side - it's in plain sight.

Typically it goes from intermittent to constant to code P2263 popping. Good news is, assuming it is the bolt, the car will *not* leave you stranded. But, it's something you'll want to tackle eventually as a DIY fix, because dealers will not replace the bolt - they'll replace the whole turbo for big money. Below thread is full of info.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...oblems-861782/

If you don't think it's related to the bolt, try to get some video of the issue so the folks here can get a better idea.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
At your age/mileage, the turbo actuator bolt would be suspect. Does the ticking occur when on throttle, or does it get noticeably louder when letting off throttle? Can you take shine a light on the bolt to see if it's rounded out? Look down at back of engine from the passenger side - it's in plain sight.

Typically it goes from intermittent to constant to code P2263 popping. Good news is, assuming it is the bolt, the car will *not* leave you stranded. But, it's something you'll want to tackle eventually as a DIY fix, because dealers will not replace the bolt - they'll replace the whole turbo for big money. Below thread is full of info.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...oblems-861782/

If you don't think it's related to the bolt, try to get some video of the issue so the folks here can get a better idea.
Thanks for the quick reply.
so this morning the tick was present right when I started the car and went away for a couple minutes after about 20 seconds of the motor running and then came back when warmed up. It's pretty constant and steady (doesn't seem to get louder once present) and its frequency seems to be directly related to the rpm's. I'll check specifically on de-cel but it really seems to just match the current rpm's. I'm going to check the bolt today and see if I can take a video that can capture the sound and try to post on here. Again, thanks for getting back to me so quick!